The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aftermarket 2/3 roof rack already available

Local time
9:50 PM
Reaction score
Yeah -but unless you will use every last mm of a full length rack, covering the whole roof, then they can look a bit OTT and that extra weight, so I was thinking a 3/4 might be enough space for my purposes (and I kinda think it looks good too)
As mentioned I've got the 3/4 front runner. It's a great rack. 3/4 is great for most people. Unless you are putting a rooftop tent on I can't see why you'd need the full size rack.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
I have just heard from a reliable source that Black Sheep is working on a very flat rack that allows to open the safari windows. Don‘t know whether it will be 2/3 or 1/1 with modular solution at the front, though.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
I have just heard from a reliable source that Black Sheep is working on a very flat rack that allows to open the safari windows. Don‘t know whether it will be 2/3 or 1/1 with modular solution at the front, though.
Any indication on timing?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
Any word yet Dave? Seems a bit silly not to have it extending the whole roof. If its still the 2368mm length i might be tempted to go back to the Rhinorack option.
I received this while I was away
That makes it 40mm longer than the Rhino rack and 200mm longer than the full length one they are currently showing

1679607697147.png

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update from Frontrunner today
They sent a drawing showing the new roof rack with the blue line showing the Safari window open with all slats in place.
I had originally asked them if they could design a rack that was approximately 2700mm, but 2570mm was what they have designed.
I assume that as they know 900% ++ more about rack design than I do there must be a good reason.
Looking at it tough I think I will slide the rack about 100mm further forward and accept that it will be short at the back.
I have to say their response to my request and the support has been very impressive.

1679613567349.png

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They sent a drawing showing the new roof rack with the blue line showing the Safari window open with all slats in place.
I had originally asked them if they could design a rack that was approximately 2700mm, but 2570mm was what they have designed.
I assume that as they know 900% ++ more about rack design than I do there must be a good reason.
Looking at it tough I think I will slide the rack about 100mm further forward and accept that it will be short at the back.
I have to say their response to my request and the support has been very impressive.

View attachment 7806865
@DaveB bear in mind that you can buy the components separately and have a length of your choosing, the side rails are two-piece.
If you get desperate I may even have some squirrelled away that you can upcycle.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was looking at it the other day @DaveB
Assuming you don’t actually need the extra length, couldn’t you just move the full rack version forward by a foot to manage your front end problem, and it’ll only be a foot in from the rear so still accessible by the ladder?
It looks like the feet could be secured anywhere along the rail.
That’d be a simple solution, until you decided to buy the extension pieces.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was looking at it the other day @DaveB
Assuming you don’t actually need the extra length, couldn’t you just move the full rack version forward by a foot to manage your front end problem, and it’ll only be a foot in from the rear so still accessible by the ladder?
It looks like the feet could be secured anywhere along the rail.
That’d be a simple solution, until you decided to buy the extension pieces.
It would work but might make it difficult sliding sheets/lengths of timber or a ladder up m the back
Now that they have the mounting feet anything is possible

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7806865
Dave.

Do you know what the total length of the Grenadier roof is (windscreen edge to rear edge)?

I recall reading somewhere sometime ago that it is 2850mm

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have spent 20 minutes searching - found nothing.

Alternative but crude method to calculate roof length.

The wheelbase is 2922mm.

Get a direct side-on picture of the Grenadier. Measure wheel center-to-center. Roofline is almost exact same length as the wheelbase - maybe 50-80mm shorter.

I would guess 2850mm

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I might have the time to drive to the dealer today and take exact measured of the roof.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Dave.

Do you know what the total length of the Grenadier roof is (windscreen edge to rear edge)?

I recall reading somewhere sometime ago that it is 2850mm
So, windscreen edge to rear edge I measured 2730 (I was alone with nobody to hold the band measure, so don‘t blame me if it is 2735). From rear end to the part where the roof starts to bend downwards towards the windshield I saw 2710.

Nguni

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
So, windscreen edge to rear edge I measured 2730 (I was alone with nobody to hold the band measure, so don‘t blame me if it is 2735). From rear end to the part where the roof starts to bend downwards towards the windshield I saw 2710.
Perhaps i missunderstand you but if the windscreen to the rear edge is 2730 but ish the length from the rear edge to the part the roof that starts to slope or bend down is virtually the same ? ( 2710 )

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps i missunderstand you but if the windscreen to the rear edge is 2730 but ish the length from the rear edge to the part the roof that starts to slope or bend down is virtually the same ? ( 2710 )
This part was difficult to measure. From what I saw, it is actually only two cm, so the bend is rather steep. I can go there again on Monday and ask the dealer to give me a hand and also take photos.

Back
Top Bottom