The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aftermarket 2/3 roof rack already available

Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
Surely a kidney being used to do the filtering out of the pure pristine clean waters that can be found on the apple isle would be worth more than that?
Even if once in a while it needs to do some extra work when a fine pale ale or 3 or consumed from

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
Surely a kidney being used to do the filtering out of the pure pristine clean waters that can be found on the apple isle would be worth more than that?
Even if once in a while it needs to do some extra work when a fine pale ale or 3 or consumed from

Kidneys are in their 7th decade.
Then again well worn Defenders and Landcruisers seem to maintain their value.
My kidneys have been most dependable and are fully maintained in perfect order. Ebay auction ends in 30 days. You can only buy 1, but have choice as to the side.

Schoeniman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So why is the full length Front Runner is better than the Rhino Rack offered as an option?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, the Front Runner Rack is a FULL SIZE Roof rack. Unfortunately they‘ve uploaded the wrong pictures for the german website. Please check the South African website to see the correct pictures. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/za/ineos-grenadier-roofrack-slimline-ii-krig001t.html
I‘ve bought the first and last rack in Germany from Fron Runner. More racks are on the way. Great Service from the German Front Runner Team.
View attachment 7806291
That is still not full size
It stops half way over the safari windows so is useless

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So why is the full length Front Runner is better than the Rhino Rack offered as an option?
The slats on the Rhino go along the vehicle and on the Front Runner they go across the vehicle
This means you can remove some of the cross slats to open/remove the safari windows.
This allows you to mount a light bar on the front and also still use the entire length for a long object such as SUP board or canoe

1679071275773.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So the FR is 162mm shorter; 15mm narrower & 20KG (33%) lighter than the RR.

No info on what the static and dynamic weight loads are - but is it correct that the RR load capacity would be less than the RR, given above?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

No info on what the static and dynamic weight loads are - but is it correct that the RR load capacity would be less than the RR, given above?
I can’t answer directly however be aware that much of the anxiety about dynamic loads stems from applications that use ‘backbone’ systems which connect to the roof via rails installed on the roof. It is the combination of the mechanical strength of those rails and the rigid nature of the backbones/racks which I gather causes the failures in question.

The roof gutter mount, whilst also obviously having it’s limit, has two benefits: it’s not attached to the roof by fasteners (like a rail) but is integral; and the mounting points are typically seperate (eg x 8 on the FrontRunner), thereby permitting flex in both directions.

I mention all of this based on the failures observed with a FrontRunner rack mounted in the DS. Both backbones fatigued to the point of failure in the same spot*. We also popped the panorama roof but not sure if that’s got anything to do with the rack.

I note the RR rack has those rigid mounts, more like a backbone system, so one needs to defer to actual engineers as to the implications of this.

* I wouldn’t read too much into this as the solution they’re offering here has the gutter-type mounts.

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t answer directly however be aware that much of the anxiety about dynamic loads stems from applications that use ‘backbone’ systems which connect to the roof via rails installed on the roof. It is the combination of the mechanical strength of those rails and the rigid nature of the backbones/racks which I gather causes the failures in question.

The roof gutter mount, whilst also obviously having it’s limit, has two benefits: it’s not attached to the roof by fasteners (like a rail) but is integral; and the mounting points are typically seperate (eg x 8 on the FrontRunner), thereby permitting flex in both directions.

I mention all of this based on the failures observed with a FrontRunner rack mounted in the DS. Both backbones fatigued to the point of failure in the same spot. We also popped the panorama roof but not sure if that’s got anything to do with the rack.

I note the RR rack has those rigid mounts, more like a backbone system, so one needs to defer to actual engineers as to the implications of this.
Great feedback - thanks.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Rhino normally de-rate by 50% for offroad use but no mention of that here either positive or negative
I have asked Front Runner if the rack side rails can be extended to 2700mm and waiting for a reply next week
Front Runner do not de-rate but haven't listed any ratings yet as you say

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Rhino normally de-rate by 50% for offroad use but no mention of that here either positive or negative
I have asked Front Runner if the rack side rails can be extended to 2700mm and waiting for a reply next week
I’d avoid drawing conclusions in engineering from actions arising from commercial considerations/liability. Both are obviously worth attention but held in seperate hands.

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
2700mm must be close to the full length of the roof.
Other than the extra 332mm, any other benefits?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
2700mm must be close to the full length of the roof.
Other than the extra 332mm, any other benefits?
The ability to open/remove the safari windows and also mount a light bar that is in front of the safari windows not behind.
In Queensland you can only legally mount them at the front of the roof

Overland Journeyman

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Any word yet Dave? Seems a bit silly not to have it extending the whole roof. If its still the 2368mm length i might be tempted to go back to the Rhinorack option.

Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
I have that Front Runner rack for my defender. It's been great and lots of cool accessories. I've been meaning to ask if I can change the legs and attach to the grenadier. :eek:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any word yet Dave? Seems a bit silly not to have it extending the whole roof. If its still the 2368mm length i might be tempted to go back to the Rhinorack option.
Yeah -but unless you will use every last mm of a full length rack, covering the whole roof, then they can look a bit OTT and that extra weight, so I was thinking a 3/4 might be enough space for my purposes (and I kinda think it looks good too)

Back
Top Bottom