The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aftermarket 2/3 roof rack already available

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
Only seen one rendering so far that solves that problem. Only issue is it's just a rendering:
View attachment 7805688
But Delta 4x4 were at the recent opening of the Hedin showroom in Zurich, so maybe more to follow.

Those driving lights would shine straight through the safari windows onto the screen
Useless

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
Bonjour à tous
Les pieds "Rhino Rack" ont tendance à s'enfoncer dans la résine de la gouttière de mon DEF 90 TD4.
J'ai démonté la galerie pour répartir la pression des pieds sur la gouttière en intercalant une cornière alu en L sous le pied de la galerie. J'ai également mis en place un petit morceau d'élastomère pour éviter de marquer la carrosserie du toit.

Bonne journée.

1678438171432.png

1678438042052.png

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour à tous
Les pieds "Rhino Rack" ont tendance à s'enfoncer dans la résine de la gouttière de mon DEF 90 TD4.
J'ai démonté la galerie pour répartir la pression des pieds sur la gouttière en intercalant une cornière alu en L sous le pied de la galerie. J'ai également mis en place un petit morceau d'élastomère pour éviter de marquer la carrosserie du toit.

Bonne journée.

View attachment 7805697

View attachment 7805696
Good to know, thanks @Largo-Winch

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
From what @DCPU said the foot isn't plastic it stainless steel, and from what I could see broader, so load distribution should be better?
I was just quoting from the Ineos Accessory Brochure :
Screenshot_20230310_091721.jpg

If I look at photos, then I'd be less sure the foot is all stainless steel. The main block looks like it could also be aluminium:

Screenshot_20230310_091249.jpg

Not to be too negative, and it is a prototype, but there's also evidence of the roof gutter lip trim lifting around the mounts possibly due to the twisting forces of the mount itself.

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:36 PM
Reaction score
I would believe the reason why we can not do a direct mount to the roof is that there is no roof rails. There are rubber strips and the side lashing points but no bolting points directly on the roof.

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
I would believe the reason why we can not do a direct mount to the roof is that there is no roof rails. There are rubber strips and the side lashing points but no bolting points directly on the roof.
Anybody seen some spec about these side lashing points / handles at the side of the roof? I‘m interested to understand if they are strong enough to hold e.g. two roof bars for a roof tent. Try to avoid a heavy roof rack. Any thoughts?
Blacksheep prototype of rear side mount makes use of these handles. See pictures below

IMG_6491.JPGIMG_6490.JPG

Last edited:

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anybody seen some spec about these side lashing points / handles at the side of the roof? I‘m interested to understand if they are strong enough to hold e.g. two roof bars for a roof tent. Try to avoid a heavy roof rack. Any thoughts?
Blacksheep prototype of rear side mount makes use of these handles. See pictures below
Or maybe a mounting for an awning to keep the overall height down so i can still get into my garage.
Some sort of bracket connected to both the gutter and the bars

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7805815View attachment 7805816
I'm not sure I'd hang a roof rack and 150kg off them and hit the corrugations. Actually, I'm sure I wouldn't.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think there are bolts through the roof for the rubber roof strips. Small but you can just see them along the top of this roof:
Screenshot_20230311_094300.jpg
And again here:
Screenshot_20220219_065148_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd hang a roof rack and 150kg off them and hit the corrugations. Actually, I'm sure I wouldn't.
You're supposed to be able to swing off each of them, so that's 75kg plus x 4. So it may well be possible...

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You're supposed to be able to swing off each of them, so that's 75kg plus x 4. So it may well be possible...
A fullday of corrugations with that weight would destroy those plastic loops holding the pipe in place, I’d guarantee it.

Bitumen and dirt road work maybe though but I wouldn’t do anything rough.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Many with a RTT just want to tour , but your point is worthy.
Expect the worst - and double it!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A fullday of corrugations with that weight would destroy those plastic loops holding the pipe in place, I’d guarantee it.

Bitumen and dirt road work maybe though but I wouldn’t do anything rough.
Yes, plastic would not be good. Are the connectors plastic on the final versions?

There's 12 fixings down each side, and Ineos have talked about clamps, studs or lugs as alternative fasteners, so there's certainly potential in the idea.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, plastic would not be good. Are the connectors plastic on the final versions?

There's 12 fixings down each side, and Ineos have talked about clamps, studs or lugs as alternative fasteners, so there's certainly potential in the idea.
Yeah I’ve always had my doubts about them in terms of strong tie down points if you gave a bit of force to a ratchet strap to get things nice and tight. Plastic and aluminum wouldn’t be my first choice for strength in that regard.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:36 PM
Reaction score
When I was at the Los Angeles Drive event I checked out the strips on the roof. They were not rubber and instead more like high density polyethylene.
This made them very slippery and not great for putting anything on top of them. They also moved a bit and flexed. Worried about water getting under them.
Hoping they were just for the prototypes and that the Grenadiers are delivered with actual rubber strips that are firmly attached. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom