The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch dry test

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Tested this afternoon the winch without load:

-easy to unroll
-approximately 10.30m length of tow
-remote control on and connected shown by green LED
-still min. one total winding on the winch drum when red mark could be seen
-sentive roll up possible
-nearly direct stop after releasing the IN button

Attachments

• IMG_5188.jpeg
    IMG_5188.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5189.jpeg
    IMG_5189.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5190.jpeg
    IMG_5190.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 86

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
10.3 m? With or without the safety layers? If plastic, is there a heat protection for the last layer?

Hmmm...not really a chance to work with a pulley if the tree is more than 5 metres away...

Why haven't they marked the buttons IN and EOS? (Small joke, as Ineos tends to call almost everything new IN.something....ok...I see...not funny...)

AWo

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
10.3 m? With or without the safety layers? If plastic, is there a heat protection for the last layer?

Hmmm...not really a chance to work with a pulley if the tree is more than 5 metres away...

AWo
As I wrote 10.30 at Stop mark, so without safety layer.

I have enough extra recovery equipment for min additional 10m😉

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Which you can use with a pulley?

I consider a pulley the most important accessory for a winch. Maybe you'll notice why once....

AWo

Last edited:

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Which you can use with a pulley?

I consider a pulley the most important accessory for a wich. Maybe you'll notice why once....

AWo
Yes, I don’t won‘t to bore everyone with my collection for recovery, but enough stuff of donuts, soft shackles, hard shackles, recovery belt(s) and on order additional rope. For my future purposes more than enough.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
If you're winch yourself up a slope in full setup and a current limit of 150 A and the slope is long enough, the 150 A breaker will limit the winch power and you might need the pully. I dont think that you get your winch rope coupled with another rope through a pulley...

However...

I would get a new rope with 30 m better 50 m if it fits. Especially with plastic ropes you have more space.

Better have it than missing it when you get seriously stuck.

We needed to change the rope anchor point once while the car was on a slope. That is some serious business, not so easy as one might think...not that everybody will have to face this, but a simple redirection of the winch rope over one or two pulleys will quickly show the limits.

Where we needed to go
2018-10-04_09-25-33.jpg

While we changed the anchor point the car was held by a slope, but you need to get it free from any weight to get it loose. That includes some difficulties...
20130503_141901.jpg

When we were up
20130503_150829.jpg

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nothing what I would do while overlanding, in the last 20years recovery belt was enough, the winch is now luxury for me…….
Same for me, but I also ordered a rope extension of 30m, a pulley, etc. Should arrive in the next week.
Also still waiting for the off road recovery kit ordered with Ineos. I hope I will get it before Christmas. :mad:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
Same for me, but I also ordered a rope extension of 30m, a pulley, etc. Should arrive in the next week.
Also still waiting for the off road recovery kit ordered with Ineos. I hope I will get it before Christmas. :mad:
Which Christmas?

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
When that kit has arrived would you be so kind and tell me how they are marked? WLL, break load or FTF andwhat the numbers are....I really do not want to create bad vibes, but please be serious....I would not mess around with bad equipment. Too much things can go wrong.

If for example only the break load is marked, where is the safety limit? Of course, you can guess....but in industrial use, you'll never find such equipment without the correct marks of WLL (or FTF in Germany).

Much, much more to say here...

AWo

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Looking at the manual, I see another shortcoming of too short ropes. It suggests a maximum angle of 30 degrees for pulling. Having a short rope will lead to higher angles and less power which you do not want anyway. Pulling the car sideways puts stress to certain parts of the car and pulling it sideways can have many negative effects, depending on the situation.

Having more length gives you the chance to keep the pulling angle low, even if you need a pulley.

AWo

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some days ago I did also my winch dry-test. Engine start, gear in neutral, 500A switch on --> the winch passed without any load.
But as I´ve tried it again the winch won´t do anything.
Could anybody please confirm, if the controllight at the 500A switch is on, when the switch is turned on?
Mine doesn´t. Unlookely I didn´t checked the light, when I´ve done the first test.

Thanks.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some days ago I did also my winch dry-test. Engine start, gear in neutral, 500A switch on --> the winch passed without any load.
But as I´ve tried it again the winch won´t do anything.
Could anybody please confirm, if the controllight at the 500A switch is on, when the switch is turned on?
Mine doesn´t. Unlookely I didn´t checked the light, when I´ve done the first test.

Thanks.

@McPharmer II - Yes the switch for the winch - EXT4 - illuminates when turned on.

1687777617851.png

Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
If you're winch yourself up a slope in full setup and a current limit of 150 A and the slope is long enough, the 150 A breaker will limit the winch power and you might need the pully. I dont think that you get your winch rope coupled with another rope through a pulley...

However...

I would get a new rope with 30 m better 50 m if it fits. Especially with plastic ropes you have more space.

Better have it than missing it when you get seriously stuck.

We needed to change the rope anchor point once while the car was on a slope. That is some serious business, not so easy as one might think...not that everybody will have to face this, but a simple redirection of the winch rope over one or two pulleys will quickly show the limits.

Where we needed to go
View attachment 7817086

While we changed the anchor point the car was held by a slope, but you need to get it free from any weight to get it loose. That includes some difficulties...
View attachment 7817088

When we were up
View attachment 7817089
I think I would have backed out and found a new route.
lol
Nice job!

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I think I would have backed out and found a new route.
lol
Nice job!
Especially when on a holiday trip, that could be the best option. However....we got into a situation in Albania at night (I think I wrote about it here somewhere), where a thunderstorm and heavy rain got us by surprise. If you have to evacuate then, you may not be able to use choices.....

Cheers
AWi

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@McPharmer II - Yes the switch for the winch - EXT4 - illuminates when turned on.

View attachment 7818003
And a shout out for the Dymo tape. 👏

That's a real blast from the past. I think I still may have a machine somewhere.

I'd definitely add some form of built in labelling system for the overhead panel to the improvements list for Ineos. If Carling can do it:
IMG_20210609_135547_900x.jpg

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
good enough for batman

Attachments

• IMG_9293.jpeg
    IMG_9293.jpeg
    407.6 KB · Views: 41

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The usable length of the winch rope should be not more than 8m? With noch chance of a longer rope because not enough room in the bumper?
I have canceled the winch option!

Local time
Reaction score
It is because the design and placement of the winch does not allow any more than (RED Wimch) say, is circa 13M (actual words are "the Grenadier is fitted with a 11mm x 15m rope. The useable length is slightly less but more than 11m")
They also say ... "The rope that is fitted is the maximum that you can fit to this winch in the 11mm diameter." so sorry @AWo you won't get any more rope on.
I posted copy of the eMail I go back from RED (with permission) on another thread.

I have to agree that the fitted winch is very restrictive and I will likely fit an aftermarket winch bumper and a winch with a larger drum.

Back
Top Bottom