The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who opted for fabric seats?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
I would guess there are as usually side airbags are in the seats and I can’t think of any vehicles sold in the last 10+ years that don’t have them, maybe American cars?
Seat covers have to be specially made to work with airbags and they will have a little tag on the side that says airbag.
My current car has side airbags and pelvis airbags coming from the seat and I couldn’t find any seat covers to suit.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
I really like the gray and black leather option; my plan is to order that with the heavy duty seat covers as needed.  

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
I don't think that the seats have integrated airbags. At first, this would contradict the simplicity paradigm. A change to other seats would be impossible. Instead, I expect side-airbags to be in the doors.

As to the leather seats: this is pure luxury. I have thought a number of times to delete them from my configuration due to the additional costs. The fabric seats are of really good quality and will do their job perfectly.

If money is not an issue, go with the leather seats. But otherwise I'd skip them.

I personally have left the configuration with the leather seats, because from a certain price on, it feels like not making the "Kohl fett" as we say in Germany. It's a bit like having a box of heavy books and adding a post card to it.

But 2000€ remain always 2000€ ...

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am very lucky in being able to afford the leather option and have got them in the grey & black on my order. I have always liked leather seats and at one point planned on upgrading my Defender seats to leather. I am now glad I didn’t do that as too much ‘Chelsea tractor’ for me.The thing is, the fabric looks very good, will be more comfortable in extreme heat or cold (Not that the UK deals with extremes in terms of weather) but more importantly, look the part in a vehicle with the philosophy of the Grenadier. If I get to see the fabric seats before signing off I would have more of an idea. 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
In that case stay with the leather seats. Luxury, yes, but that's what luxury is: pure wellness. I have btw. the same color combination, black & grey. My current car has grey lather, and it makes a big difference to the SLK seats in black, which get really very hot in the summer.

The good thing is, when you're buying a used car, leather seats are one of the very few extras that cost extra money. So you increase the selling price. And for some reason, used cars with leather seats have the aura of particularly well-kept and classy vehicles.

Just as a legitimation ... ;-)

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One of my vehicles is an SLK. One of the last R170’s off the line and with less than 25,000 miles. Love it as a summer dry day collectors car. ?
My wife’s X3 has cream leather and I love that too. I take your point that leather is the ‘safer’ option hence having chosen it. I am however still very intrigued at the high tech fabric.  

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
That leather seats bring significantly more profit at resale is old wise man thinking. Once upon a time....

In the meantime, our society has changed considerably. There are people who buy luxury cars, consciously choose seats made of ecological and recycled materials and abhor animal products.
This trend is becoming more and more prevalent in society.

Regardless, I chose fabric seats. I have sat and driven in both types in the Grenadier and found them surprisingly comfortable.
They seem to me to be very insensitive. I spoke to INEOS developers directly after the ride. They told me that when I sprayed the interior with a water hose, I could also hold onto the seats and then scrub them with a brush.
And I believe that too.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
I have been trying to find out details on the seats but there is very little available. 

The fabric seats are mentioned seem to be made of recycled plastic blend in the light areas and neoprene in the black areas.
This should make them extremely hard wearing and  easy to clean but I previously had neoprene seat covers on the rear seat of my Mazda BT50 and they were very uncomfortable on bare legs and arms. They stuck to the skin and also caused passengers to become sweaty at points of contact.

They mention front, side and curtain airbags and I can't see any airbag points on the B or C pillars so I assume as usual they are in the sides of the seats. 
But there is no confirmation of this. 
Does anyone know for sure?

Obviously this will impact seat covers.

I am tending to go back to the Black & Gray leather option. 

Local time
Reaction score
For a working vehicle I'll trust what they say about the fabric seats being suitable for resisting the muck. Leather would just be an unecessary expense and if the seats would have to be covered over to protect them, a little pointless. If I was buying as a recreational vehicle then I might be tempted.

Reactions: beg

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Started this thread saying I had ordered fabric seats but looking at my order, the change didn’t go through and still shows as leather. Currently minded to opt for fabric but fortunately I hopefully still have a bit of time available with a slated December build date. 

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Having sat in both leather and cloth seated variants, and driven with the latter, my own selection of cloth seems prudent. The leather seating does look great but imho, the non leather suits the vehicle better. The neoprene seat bolsters feel nice to slide over, are supportive and seem like they’ll be hard wearing. The two tone may show a bit of dirt, but seat covers remove that risk.

I would have preferred to order a belstaff model and delete the leather, in practice, I’ve ordered the station wagon and loaded up with options and the smooth pack. If I’ve got my selection right, it’ll be about £1200 less than the belstaff equivalent.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've chosen leather and seat covers - no logic there I know. Just got a soft spot (rather large soft spot unfortunately, as the Dr. keeps reminding me) for leather. I agree with your logic.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Having sat in both leather and cloth seated variants, and driven with the latter, my own selection of cloth seems prudent. The leather seating does look great but imho, the non leather suits the vehicle better. The neoprene seat bolsters feel nice to slide over, are supportive and seem like they’ll be hard wearing. The two tone may show a bit of dirt, but seat covers remove that risk.

I would have preferred to order a belstaff model and delete the leather, in practice, I’ve ordered the station wagon and loaded up with options and the smooth pack. If I’ve got my selection right, it’ll be about £1200 less than the belstaff equivalent.
I ordered the Fieldmaster as I didn’t dare to select the commercial five seater because of the steeper back of the rear seats.
So I have the leather included. But the cloth seats do look and feel very good. I would probably have selected them in a package free configurator.

Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
I'll order the cloth with heated. Maybe in the future I will have the fronts recovered in leather or my 05 Jeep Wrangler had ripstop seats. I loved them they moved like leather but were cool like cloth.

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ordered fabric may get them recovered in leather to match the steering wheel

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned them yet;

I am going fabric, heated seats and will be having a full set of the Melville and Moon seat covers. They will outlast the vehicle and a cool in summer.

Having already spoken to them they are a similar price to the OEM covers but are more of a statement piece

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I ordered the Fieldmaster as I didn’t dare to select the commercial five seater because of the steeper back of the rear seats.
So I have the leather included. But the cloth seats do look and feel very good. I would probably have selected them in a package free configurator.
I sat in both last week. There is virtually not perceptible difference when sitting in the back. The seating height is higher in the back so you get a good view forward. I called ineos about a belstaff and if they’d delete the leather but it was a no go at the time of calling. Perhaps a bit of collective pressure could be bought to bear. Cloth seating was the better option imho irrespective of it being used on the school run or a landfil..

The drivers seating position was excellent. I’m 6 4’ and it was easy to get settled. The step in, with the rock sliders, could mean you get your leg dirty as you have to clear it to stop muck and filth rubbing off.

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fabric does please me more. But also keep in mind that the height of the cabine meansfor extra rub off with every exit and entry. In other words, the sidesteps become essential by making the seating last longer.

Back
Top Bottom