The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What gear you already have for your grenadier ?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
Just got one of these ordered:

MXT575VP4_whip-729862_300x.jpg
I’m 100% undecided on a Comms radio. I do not group travel enough to already have a GMRS, and I’m considering a 70cm/2M unit. I currently only have a HT.

Beyond a radio, I have my full off-road kit for my ‘65 IIa 109, so most equipment will simply be loaded into the chosen vehicle.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
I’m 100% undecided on a Comms radio. I do not group travel enough to already have a GMRS, and I’m considering a 70cm/2M unit. I currently only have a HT.

Beyond a radio, I have my full off-road kit for my ‘65 IIa 109, so most equipment will simply be loaded into the chosen vehicle.
I'm not a HAM, although I do have a pair of Baofeng UV-5Rs.

Just paid for my GMRS license yesterday for the Midland.

I am new to overlanding / 4X4 exploring, and primarily got the Midland for SHTF comms, unless I hook up with my fellow Grenadiers and we can chat via the radio.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:36 PM
Reaction score
I'm not a HAM, although I do have a pair of Baofeng UV-5Rs.

Just paid for my GMRS license yesterday for the Midland.

I am new to overlanding / 4X4 exploring, and primarily got the Midland for SHTF comms, unless I hook up with my fellow Grenadiers and we can chat via the radio.
Gees you have to pay for a UHF licence in the States.

Keep that quiet, or if they find out the Aussie Gov't will add that to the ever increasing taxes they sting us for here.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Gees you have to pay for a UHF licence in the States.

Keep that quiet, or if they find out the Aussie Gov't will add that to the ever increasing taxes they sting us for here.
$35 for a 10 year license. No test, just registration and attestation that you're not a convicted felon.

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
So cool that a bunch of people of varying ages, from around the world, can be so similar- and the common thread is a 3.5 ton work of art!

Magical Mystery Tours

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
The first major purchase after receiving the vehicle, was a roof rack and roof tent from Frontrunner. We already had some Wolfpacks Pro before. In addition, we now have two water tanks for the roof rack (Gin & Tonic ;)), because with the dogs we need a lot of water.

Now we have taken a break to make decisions based on experience.

_I3A0385 Insta.jpg

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
Reactions: PBD

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
Tell us about the trip. How did the Gren perform?
It was a beast… so comfortable off-road, controlled, confident. Zero issues. And it was a joy on the tarmac too. Tomorrow night we embark on an expedition to Tanzania… through the Maasai Mara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Lake Natron areas. It will be a mix of extremely rough terrain and tarmac. Will post throughout the journey :)

This car has given me renewed energy to just point and go!

Magical Mystery Tours

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
The first major purchase after receiving the vehicle, was a roof rack and roof tent from Frontrunner. We already had some Wolfpacks Pro before. In addition, we now have two water tanks for the roof rack (Gin & Tonic ;)), because with the dogs we need a lot of water.

Now we have taken a break to make decisions based on experience.
Addendum:

_I3A0763 Kopie.jpg

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
There's just something about the classic metal cans that I like. I'll probably get a rotopax or whatever it is, if I decide to really go long range. I honestly am so frustrated with our US allowed plastic gas cans (specifically the spring loaded locks and switches, with the low flow nozzles) that I'm throwing a few out when I finally decide to fill the jerry cans I got for Christmas.
I have had horrible luck with the US nozzles: I break them every time I use them. I just invested in some decent kit that will eliminate this problem! And bling!

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Just got one of these ordered:

MXT575VP4_whip-729862_300x.jpg
Yup: I intend to get the same one (and maybe a couple of hand-helds). Gotta work on my license, also! (I'm guessing you have yours already!)

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I sold by D90 complete with all the recovery gear, Engel fridge, built in engine-driven compressor, spares, etc., so the Grenadier is a "blank sheet".... And I am well on the way to busting my credit card.... I went (Relatively) cheap and bought a Viair 400P compressor and a 2-tire InDeflate kit (the original from S Africa: I don't like Chinese knock-offs like the MorrFlate!). As (weird) the Viair has a male air outlet that mates to their supplied hose and I did not want to use it with the InDeflate, I made up alocking air chuck and tiny ball valve to use with it. Photo shows the Viair and its hose on the right,IndeFlate and my hose/adapter on the left.

Attachments

• PXL_20231111_144250999.jpg
    PXL_20231111_144250999.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 24

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For anyone who's on the fence about getting OnXOffroad, they're running a Black Friday (Already! UGH!) discount. I bit the bullet and got the Elite subscription. I've made a few purchases today and saved a couple of hundred bucks, easy. Far more than the cost of the app subscription. Don't know about use other than US / CA, sorry.

It comes with pretty good discounts to lots of 4x4 manufacturers (10-30%):
  • rugged-radios-logo.png

Rugged Radios
  • DECKED_Logo_Letters_BLACK-02.png

DECKED
  • Dometic.png

Dometic
  • MF_Long_TM_SingleColor.png

MORRFlate
  • REDARC-ALL-BLACK-CMYK-Reg.jpg

REDARC Electronics
  • MRW_Method-Race-Wheels-solo-R-black-logo.png

Method Wheels
  • Barnes4WD.png

Barnes 4WD
  • F55-Logo.png

Factor 55
  • Yukon-logo.png

Yukon Gear & Axle
  • WARN.png

Warn Winches
  • roofnestlogo_black.png

Roofnest

• RTR Vehicles
  • turtle-bw.png

Marlin Crawler
  • Elite_-Brand-Red-Dog-2023.4-C.png

Red Dog Tools

• FXR Racing
  • fhor-2022-logo_500x.png

Fun-Haver Offroad
  • GlueTread-Logo-1.png

GlueTread
  • Elite_-Brand-Maxtrax-2023.4-C.png

Maxtrax
  • RIGID_Logo_Blk.png

RIGID Lights

• OVR Magazine
  • RhinoRackLogo_Vertical_black.png

Rhino-Rack
  • Elite_FOX_logo.png

Fox Shocks

• OutdoorX4

• Midwest Rider

• 74 Weld

• SuperATV

• BDS

• JKS
Got some more Factor55 gear, a MorrFlate air compressor and 4 tire hose kit ordered today. MaxTrax are on the short list to get.

I received a nice package from Australia in the mail today with a Saber offroad winch shackle and soft shackle.
_XxrA3ypgsnjf45A3w8aI-kHbvTqflFlVhFUpwLVk7uVt5A7g31Pg3MWmkGlbnHmCwt-Ai1D8kq16wzw-2WowLTYMtMRUyOKqQjM9Y82cJi6Jqo7koeCDObC0youeLGhihb_3IQVZROckFDmZV4HlIIfDomCZuGu0AqglkqEImoZ9akWgGp42kpZ=s0-d-e1-ft

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The membership sale goes all month - maybe I’ll take a stab. If I can really save the $99 on stuff I was going to buy it seems like a no brainer.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
There's just something about the classic metal cans that I like. I'll probably get a rotopax or whatever it is, if I decide to really go long range. I honestly am so frustrated with our US allowed plastic gas cans (specifically the spring loaded locks and switches, with the low flow nozzles) that I'm throwing a few out when I finally decide to fill the jerry cans I got for Christmas.
Why don't you use a jiggler siphon instead of nozzles? I keep mine in a plastic bag ready for use, no spillage no lifting and holding the can and I usually fill from the roof rack straight into the vehicle filler.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231115_092227_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231115_092227_Chrome.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 22

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have had horrible luck with the US nozzles: I break them every time I use them. I just invested in some decent kit that will eliminate this problem! And bling!
For over 25 years I have only used real metal jerry cans and will continue to do so - including my oldest 20L that gets used every single week (small engine refills). Diesel or gasoline, never a leak, drip or odor. I will never switch to that plastic rotojunk.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
For over 25 years I have only used real metal jerry cans and will continue to do so - including my oldest 20L that gets used every single week (small engine refills). Diesel or gasoline, never a leak, drip or odor. I will never switch to that plastic rotojunk.
I agree with you and have a nyumber of "real" Jerry cans. But I was gifted a couple of RotoPax a while back and was just commenting to the OP on a decent substitute for the ridiculous US-Nanny fillers they have...

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Seriously, I have spilled far more fuel using the "safe" spouts than I ever have using old-school pour spouts. There's a website that will sell you old school spouts for the common plastic fuel containers (often made by Blitz or similar).

Back
Top Bottom