The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What gear you already have for your grenadier ?

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
The military standard 20L containers manufactured from HDPE by the Canadian company Scepter are also very good (and about 1/3rd the price).
There's just something about the classic metal cans that I like. I'll probably get a rotopax or whatever it is, if I decide to really go long range. I honestly am so frustrated with our US allowed plastic gas cans (specifically the spring loaded locks and switches, with the low flow nozzles) that I'm throwing a few out when I finally decide to fill the jerry cans I got for Christmas.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
These are far more robust then the metal cans, no issue with fatigue IMO -https://www.scepter.com/products/consumer-products/20-litre-diesel-can/
Those are what I'm replacing, well, ones similar. And red. No diesel vehicles here. It's ~30% higher than gasoline and I'm not dealing with pouring urine in a tank to burn it.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
I had different kinds of plastic canisters. They contained gasoline and I had them in my workshop for a while. None of them was gas-tight. Gasoline smell every day - although the temperature is always between 12 (winter) and 18 °C (summer).

I could seal the cap however I wanted, it always smelled like gasoline. I even squeezed the cans between my knees when I closed the cap, to have some underpressure in the can: no change.

That's why I switched to 20-liter metal canisters: gas-tight at the first go. No smell, nothing. Regardless of temperature and air pressure.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
As a permanent installation, I will carry my Becker BK-9 in my Grenadier. Must still find a place where it is not easily visible.

Not only is it a reassuring piece of gear, but it's also good if you don't have a hatchet or saw with you. Almost a machete, but much better handling and center of gravity and thus tremendous momentum.

ka-bar-BK9.jpg

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4-WLv7tbmI

Edit: replaced wrong youtube link

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
As a permanent installation, I will carry my Becker BK-9 in my Grenadier. Must still find a place where it is not easily visible.

Not only is it a reassuring piece of gear, but it's also good if you don't have a hatchet or saw with you. Almost a machete, but much better handling and center of gravity and thus tremendous momentum.

View attachment 7805590

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4-WLv7tbmI

Edit: replaced wrong youtube link
crocodile GIF

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, about the same class. But more robust. :)

The Dundee knife is a bit longer - but not as massive.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Those are what I'm replacing, well, ones similar. And red. No diesel vehicles here. It's ~30% higher than gasoline and I'm not dealing with pouring urine in a tank to burn it.
These are the ones I mentioned.

Attachments

• scpeter_07649_20ldiesel_yellowvent.jpg
    scpeter_07649_20ldiesel_yellowvent.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4

Wombat51

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
My plans for Grenadier (upgrades).

Plans for my Grenadier are summarized in the attached PDF file.......too many words for a posting in the text section here.

Happy reading
Regards
Wombat51

Attachments

• My plans for Grenadier.pdf
    149.3 KB · Views: 111

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
My plans for Grenadier (upgrades).

Plans for my Grenadier are summarized in the attached PDF file.......too many words for a posting in the text section here.

Happy reading
Regards
Wombat51
Good planning!
We installed one of these this evening into our Disco. Plan to raise it up a bit to store camp chairs and stuff beneath.
It's an easy and economical solution to a touring setup.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
These are the ones I mentioned.
Yep. Here in the USA, yellow is for diesel / kerosine and red for gasoline / petrol. Those are the ones like your picture, but perhaps not the brand, that I'm looking to throw out. They leak at the nozzle threads and I smell gasoline vapors in my garage constantly, as long as there's gas in them. And, the idiotic safety features of the nozzles, from twist locks to buttons that have to be pressed, then the nozzle depressed into the can to allow the fuel to flow are all reasons I hate them.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Speaking of jerry cans -

If you have 1/2 hour to waste, and are a nerd like me, it's an interesting video.
What an attentive observer this young man is, wonderful! And also a wonderful video.

I have five cans of this type, relatively new, but still with all the details shown in the video. And I trust them. They are gas tight and sturdy. And if you fill them to their specifications, 20 liters, you never have to worry about overpressurization.

My dad told me a lot about the canisters, what the guy in the video said (he was an engineer through and through) - over 50 years ago. That's why I bought mine after the plastic cans turned out to be what they are: Crap. The devil is in the details, and good engineering is all about attention to detail. That's why good products are a dying breed: this kind of engineering is considered too expensive these days. The results must come quickly, and if the result is crap: wonderful, then throw the product away after two years and buy something new.

Happy with my steel "Wehrmacht Einheitskanister" :)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What an attentive observer this young man is, wonderful! And also a wonderful video.

I have five cans of this type, relatively new, but still with all the details shown in the video. And I trust them. They are gas tight and sturdy. And if you fill them to their specifications, 20 liters, you never have to worry about overpressurization.

My dad told me a lot about the canisters, what the guy in the video said (he was an engineer through and through) - over 50 years ago. That's why I bought mine after the plastic cans turned out to be what they are: Crap. The devil is in the details, and good engineering is all about attention to detail. That's why good products are a dying breed: this kind of engineering is considered too expensive these days. The results must come quickly, and if the result is crap: wonderful, then throw the product away after two years and buy something new.

Happy with my steel "Wehrmacht Einheitskanister" :)
Storing petrol in plastic containers is not a good idea.
Particularly if it is subject to vibration or heat
There is potential with vibration for static charge to build up causing an explosion.
Plastic containers can also expand and contract putting a strain on the seals (and joins)
Some plastics are made to store petrol so may be just fine but................

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
…and petrol has a static pressur. at normal temperatures, regardless of how full it is, or if you squeeze the container, after sealing there will be a positive pressure in the container, and even the tiniest leak will let vapour out. Smelly, and explosive vapour. Petrol is a pain Compared to diesel, at least in containers.

Back
Top Bottom