The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What are the options for the Nato plug in the back?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
besides the portable winch most of us probably didn't order, what else can we do with this? Even if you have to splice into the lines? Secondly, if you pull the full current how long can the battery last? Can the motor charge it enough? Wondering if I could power a few fishing lights or something with it. Trying to find reasons to use it.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
besides the portable winch most of us probably didn't order, what else can we do with this? Even if you have to splice into the lines? Secondly, if you pull the full current how long can the battery last? Can the motor charge it enough? Wondering if I could power a few fishing lights or something with it. Trying to find reasons to use it.
Hi FlyingTexan, Yes, I find it disappointing that it appears the Nato Plug is useless unless we ordered a rear winch, which I imagine few have ordered. It may too early for anyone to figure out how it can be safely used since we don't have a wiring diagram yet. I am hopefully that someone on this forum with auto electrical experience will find some safe uses for the Nato plug that we can all use. Perhaps for charging the batteries or jump starting or power tools etc. DaBull

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
@FlyingTexan thanks for starting this topic.

I was thinking of making an adapter/splice into a nato plug for my 4 tire air compressor? It's set up to clamp to the battery terminal posts currently. I have no plans or desire to install an onboard air compressor.

Disclosure: I have done ZERO research yet, so you electrical engineers out there please don't nuke me if this is the dumbest thing you've read today.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Nato plug historically were used to jump start another vehicle. You can buy adaptors for charging field equipment. US military use them to charge phones.

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score

I was thinking of making an adapter/splice into a nato plug for my 4 tire air compressor? It's set up to clamp to the battery terminal posts currently. I have no plans or desire to install an onboard air compressor.

Disclosure: I have done ZERO research yet, so you electrical engineers out there please don't nuke me if this is the dumbest thing you've read today.
Just FYI - a single air compressor can be neatly installed under the rear seat on the right (passenger side for LHD) of the car.

I know because I have down it; the ARB CKMA12 compressor.

ARB Compressor under rear seat.JPGLargeV2.JPG

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How long the battery lasts and can the motor charge it purely depend on how much current you're pulling through it. If I'm not mistaken, it will only be powered when the ignition is on and the EXT4 switch is on.

In theory, a 500A load (what it is max. rated for) would deplete the battery to a damaging level in around 6 minutes if the engine wasn't running. With the engine at idle this would increase to around 9 minutes.

As stated, the reason it is rated to 500A is for jump starting purposes, which only last a few seconds at a time.

You could very easily adapt the NATO to an Anderson SB350 (or 175 or 50) and charge a battery bank on a trailer while driving

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is a long thread about the NATO socket here.
I made a NATO to 50A Anderson adapter to provide power to the DC-DC charger in my camper trailer. See here.
I derated the supply circuit by swapping the 350A fuse with a 60A fuse to suit my DC charger and to run my portable plug-in compressor.
The MY24 owners manual supplement has specific warnings (disclaimers) about using the NATO socket for other purposes. See post 260 of that thread.

Attachments

• NATO to 50A Anderson.jpg
    NATO to 50A Anderson.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 131

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Hi Lemon35, Here's the warning link from Ineos regarding the Nato Plug. DaBull
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/nato-plug-socket.12410957/post-1333238448

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
@DaBull Thanks.

What I am thinking of will certainly require a de-rating with fuse swaps similar to what @Clark Kent Posted.

I'll be taking time with this one... not sure how I want to set up the rear of the truck yet.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@DaBull Thanks.

What I am thinking of will certainly require a de-rating with fuse swaps similar to what @Clark Kent Posted.

I'll be taking time with this one... not sure how I want to set up the rear of the truck yet.
I wonder how easy it is to tie into that wiring and use it for a 2000w inverter in the back instead.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder how easy it is to tie into that wiring and use it for a 2000w inverter in the back instead.
Quite easy. The Ext4 (500A) overhead switch controls a solenoid fitted in the right rear corner under the trim. The solenoid and wiring are visible in this pic. There is a positive feed from the solenoid through the RH wheel arch to the NATO socket. The negative side of the NATO socket uses an earth return.
It would not be difficult to pick off power at the output side of the solenoid for other purposes like an inverter. The circuit is fused at 350A as noted above.

Attachments

• NATO wiring.jpg
    NATO wiring.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 126

Arat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I also have similar interest (for ARB twin compressor), another possible use, for Converter, Thx, Cheers

r75-gespann

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
Hello, at first time i saw the nato Socket i wondered. But at the second i saw that is very nice to habe. I find a starter cable .... And its works fine. I don't Must unlock the seats like defender. Now i build a portable back winch and connected it with the nato Socket. It works almost fine. It's enough for winching cars on Trailer or trees of the wood. If i need the Socket i let the engine run.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello, at first time i saw the nato Socket i wondered. But at the second i saw that is very nice to habe. I find a starter cable .... And its works fine. I don't Must unlock the seats like defender. Now i build a portable back winch and connected it with the nato Socket. It works almost fine. It's enough for winching cars on Trailer or trees of the wood. If i need the Socket i let the engine run.
Where did you find this adapter?

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score

I think it's a good idea. I too have been imagining different ways to utilize the plug.

r75-gespann

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
Hello, i buy it at e...y . The ignition cable is six meters and not very flexible. I buy it for 140€. The plug ( i hope thats right) i buy online for 30€ . Thanks

Back
Top Bottom