The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Water ponding on roof

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is going to be a problem but it’s not ideal…

It seems the cross beam in the roof creates a not insignificant water trap on the roof. On flat ground, the slight downward slant means the center sections of the roof retain pools of water. If it’s not blown off driving then it just forms an ugly hard water mark. Over time I’m concerned how this will affect the paint.

IMG_1348.jpegIMG_1349.jpeg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

It seems the cross beam in the roof creates a not insignificant water trap on the roof. On flat ground, the slight downward slant means the center sections of the roof retain pools of water. If it’s not blown off driving then it just forms an ugly hard water mark. Over time I’m concerned how this will affect the paint.

View attachment 7827534View attachment 7827535
Park undercover?
Put a ceramic or wax coating on the vehicle.
Park facing uphill instead of downhill.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7827534View attachment 7827535
If that vehicle is flat in both X,Y plane, then you have a long-term problem and yes, your paint will fail. When scum, acids, hydrocarbons etc etc rest on your roof and through continual wetness, it will deteriorate the paint. Surely others on this forum have seen this problem if present in certain vehicles - anyone else? I live near salt, or not far from salt water and that would be a bad outcome for such conditions.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not a suitable solution for a car that must last 20+ years for some owners.
With 15 ducks, 10 Corella's , 8 Kookaburra's & 4 magpies resident in my yard and countless other flying visitors.
Not to mention countless gravel/dirt roads.

Until the shed is finished in 3-6 months it will be parked outside in the open.
I have the metallic black so that paint will be getting a ceramic coat as soon as it arrives.
We are heading into summer/wet season

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
If you brake hard it all comes rushing down over the windscreen - 'speaks from experience' :)
Again... very Defender style :) BTW, Today I've washed the car. No puddle on the roof, just very wet, but the roof is accessible thanks to the ladder e to the lateral bars. No more acrobatics like in my Defender...

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If that vehicle is flat in both X,Y plane, then you have a long-term problem and yes, your paint will fail. When scum, acids, hydrocarbons etc etc rest on your roof and through continual wetness,
I guess living on a fresh clean cold island out of town has some benefits 🫠
God punishes those who live too extravagantly 😁

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If that vehicle is flat in both X,Y plane, then you have a long-term problem and yes, your paint will fail. When scum, acids, hydrocarbons etc etc rest on your roof and through continual wetness, it will deteriorate the paint. Surely others on this forum have seen this problem if present in certain vehicles - anyone else? I live near salt, or not far from salt water and that would be a bad outcome for such conditions.
Yes. This is my point. The ponding is when parked on flat ground.

I wasn’t thinking of getting PPF but might consider it just on the roof, which should be pretty simple.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Secondary coatings are 'ok' but water ponding that deep even in dewy conditions will post a long term issue no matter what. Paying money for such an 'issue' is bullsh** in my view of a vehicle in the $120K range.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
or understeer round a roundabout
You could remove the Safari windows and fly fish in the pond.
Add a Black Sheep roof platform and you could ice fish in the winter. (Don't drill too deep) although that would stop it pooling on the roof and it would just gather in the footwell. Where this is a removable plug..>>... These Ineos engineers think of everything.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You could remove the Safari windows and fly fish in the pond.
Add a Black Sheep roof platform and you could ice fish in the winter. (Don't drill too deep) although that would stop it pooling on the roof and it would just gather in the footwell. Where this is a removable plug..>>... These Ineos engineers think of everything.
....throw those water bladders away folks. when going bush carry it loose on the roof.

Back
Top Bottom