The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Washington (state) to Washington, DC

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
Looks like they ended up making it a LC vs Grenadier comparison of the final footage we shot:

View: https://youtu.be/ZvPNwz-IUUk?si=JiynOfSn0a6WwM-l
Man I love a good “80-series vs xxxxx” comparison video. I’m actually very impressed that the LC out flexed the Grenadier. Maybe the lift added a bit of travel?

Glad you made it home safely. That’s a pretty epic road trip you took. Keep us posted on any updates regarding the windshield and transfer case lever issues.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
Great write up of the trip, looks like a great way to pick up the truck. Replacing windshields now stinks as they have a reset the dang camera behind the mirror every time which is just more $$$.

Thanks for sharing the trip.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Another question, given the amount of highway miles you put on how would you rate the level of driver fatigue? Did the steering cause you to wear out at all or is this an overblown issue?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Another question, given the amount of highway miles you put on how would you rate the level of driver fatigue? Did the steering cause you to wear out at all or is this an overblown issue?
Hi @Ragman, last week I drove 2 x 700 km in one go on motorways. Interrupted only by short breaks. I've already travelled to Cornwall and back in the summer. I didn't get tired on any of these journeys and the driving didn't bother me at all. Compared to previous journeys in the Disco 4, I find the Grenadier more pleasant. It makes driving more fun for me. My only complaint is that the interior noise is increasingly unpleasant on such long journeys, but there's no comparison with the old Defender. This is where the Disco scores points.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The steering is not the issue. It's not an issue at all.

Higher speed (70+ mph with Safari windows and a raised air intake) wind noise, a stiff, almost sporty suspension, getting the seat adjusted correctly - these are, in my opinion - the issues that caused some fatigue.

That said - I did Denver to Iowa City to Carlisle PA on consecutive days - 24 hours of driving in 48 hours.

Was I tired? Sure. Did I crave a massage? Yeah. Was it the end of the world, no.

Was I happy to drive Carlisle to Philly to DC the third day - yeah, no problem.

Last edited:

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The steering is not the issue. It's not an issue at all.

Higher speed (70+ mph with Safari windows and a raised air intake) wind noise, a stiff, almost sporty suspension, getting the seat adjusted correctly - these are, in my opinion - the issues that caused some fatigue.

That said - I did Denver to Iowa City to Carlisle PA on consecutive days - 24 hours of driving in 48 hours.

Was I tired? Sure. Did I crave a massage? Yeah. Was it the end of the world, no.

Was I happy to drive Carlisle to Philly to DC the third day - yeah, no problem.
100% agreement!
Switching back to gas mileage discussion - forgot you had a RAI! That should decrease mileage a bit from disturbance of aerodynamics, correct?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure at this point that's having a measurable impact - the Grenadier (like the defender before it) is a vehicle best driven slowly, often on uncertain terrain - but does just fine around town.

It's not a GT cruiser by any measure 😁

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure at this point that's having a measurable impact - the Grenadier (like the defender before it) is a vehicle best driven slowly, often on uncertain terrain - but does just fine around town.

It's not a GT cruiser by any measure 😁
Oh come on its' not 😂

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wanted to make a quick summary of my experience with the Grenadier, having driven over 4000 miles, often 10+ hours at a time.

I'll start with the positives first:
  • The Grenadier is very well insulated from sound, and very little outside noise comes into the car - especially at low speeds (see cons below)
  • The B58 is well tuned and power delivery is more than sufficient for both off road an highway driving & passing
  • The ZF transmission is buttery smooth and well geared. Its a great pairing with the B58
  • Hill descent control is excellent - I was able to use it extensively on the Shaffer Trail in Canyon land National Park
  • The Grenadier is very smooth & confidence inspiring on irregular surfaces - whether at speed on gravel / corrugation or more technical terrain
  • I absolutely love the commanding view and driving position - great visibility and light all around
  • Thus far its been great off-road, I'm excited to see how it performs on some of the local trails
The Negatives:
  • I'd like to be able to engage off-road mode without coming to a complete stop
  • there is little to no accessible storage for the driver and passenger.
  • I'd like for the diff lock indicators to be more responsive, especially when turning them off
  • Obviously, the Grenadier has a large turning radius. This can often be mitigated by planning turns. I back into every parking space for this reason.
  • I wish there was a true Neutral indicator on the Diff Lock - High / Low shifter, with an indicator in the tell-tale
  • There is a lot of wind noise at speed (65-85 mph), I'm not sure if this is made worse by the safari windows.
  • I really wish we got the diesel.
In summary, it is extraordinary.

I am amazed by what Ineos has been able to accomplish with their first vehicle out of the gates. I attribute much of this to the engineering partnership with Magna, and the brilliant acquisition of the Mercedes plant & staff in Hambach. Don't under estimate the value of the training and experience the existing staff brought with them - when it comes to the detail finishes and quality, I attribute much of that to those good people.

The partnership with Magna is likely also what brought us the B58/ZF package, as well as access to a variety of top tier OEM suppliers. It was a genius move by Ineos, and likely the only way this vehicle could have been produced. These are all good things. While many would have preferred another OEM for the engine - logistically, the feasibility of trucking engines from Germany to Hambach is much simpler than sourcing from any other supplier. The use of the "BMW" shifter was, again, a key cost savings measure - to certify a shifter for EU, AUS & US would have been horribly expensive. I think that Ineos is making the right decisions and compromises as they navigate this process.

Final Gas mileage is found here

signal-2024-01-08-105158_002.jpeg

Last edited:

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wanted to make a quick summary of my experience with the Grenadier, having driven over 4000 miles, often 10+ hours at a time.

I'll start with the positives first:
  • The Grenadier is very well insulated from sound, and very little outside noise comes into the car - especially at low speeds (see cons below)
  • The B58 is well tuned and power delivery is more than sufficient for both off road an highway driving & passing
  • The ZF transmission is buttery smooth and well geared. Its a great pairing with the B58
  • Hill descent control is excellent - I was able to use it extensively on the Shaffer Trail in Canyon land National Park
  • The Grenadier is very smooth & confidence inspiring on irregular surfaces - whether at speed on gravel / corrugation or more technical terrain
  • I absolutely love the commanding view and driving position - great visibility and light all around
  • Thus far its been great off-road, I'm excited to see how it performs on some of the local trails
The Negatives:
  • I'd like to be able to engage off-road mode without coming to a complete stop
  • there is little to no accessible storage for the driver and passenger.
  • I'd like for the diff lock indicators to be more responsive, especially when turning them off
  • Obviously, the Grenadier has a large turning radius. This can often be mitigated by planning turns. I back into every parking space for this reason.
  • I wish there was a true Neutral indicator on the Diff Lock - High / Low shifter, with an indicator in the tell-tale
  • There is a lot of wind noise at speed (65-85 mph), I'm not sure if this is made worse by the safari windows.
  • I really wish we got the diesel.
In summary, it is extraordinary.

I am amazed by what Ineos has been able to accomplish with their first vehicle out of the gates. I attribute much of this to the engineering partnership with Magna, and the brilliant acquisition of the Mercedes plant & staff in Hambach. Don't under estimate the value of the training and experience the existing staff brought with them - when it comes to the detail finishes and quality, I attribute much of that to those good people.

The partnership with Magna is likely also what brought us the B58/ZF package, as well as access to a variety of top tier OEM suppliers. It was a genius move by Ineos, and likely the only way this vehicle could have been produced. These are all good things. While many would have preferred another OEM for the engine - logistically, the feasibility of trucking engines from Germany to Hambach is much simpler than sourcing from any other supplier. The use of the "BMW" shifter was, again, a key cost savings measure - to certify a shifter for EU, AUS & US would have been horribly expensive. I think that Ineos is making the right decisions and compromises as they navigate this process.
Regarding noise - safari windows open? closed? Asking as their closed roof profile is rather minimal.
No possibility of it being the RAI? (the roof rack on my 96 Discovery generates a fair bit of wind noise - much reduced with the Yakama fairing before it finally broke at 20 yrs. Currently pipe insulation applied to the lowest bar helps tremendously!
Your drive certainly offered the rare opportunity of open road, variable speed and no other car interference at time!! :love:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding noise - safari windows open? closed? Asking as their closed roof profile is rather minimal.
No possibility of it being the RAI? (the roof rack on my 96 Discovery generates a fair bit of wind noise - much reduced with the Yakama fairing before it finally broke at 20 yrs. Currently pipe insulation applied to the lowest bar helps tremendously!
Your drive certainly offered the rare opportunity of open road, variable speed and no other car interference at time!! :love:

Closed - open, I expect some. I'll see if I can get a ride in a solid roof Grenadier soon.

It could be the RAI as well. I'm looking forward to trying with it removed as the parts become available.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Closed - open, I expect some. I'll see if I can get a ride in a solid roof Grenadier soon.

It could be the RAI as well. I'm looking forward to trying with it removed as the parts become available.
I wonder about the side mirrors contributing to the noise - not exactly aerodynamic.

roadfever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hate to go the fuse route, but is a fuse? Maybe a display plug problem? Did the blinkers come with the audio 'click' noise? Just spitballing. Frustrating none the less. If it got rid of the ADAS I think you may be able to call it a win.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Both times the screen has come back to life with a power off and 15+ min restart. I'm documenting each time it happens on video and recording the date and mileage on a spreadsheet with other issues.

I'll discuss this with the folks at the dealership by phone in the coming days.

I've also received the "overfilled gas" (P0461) CEL and had a Power Steering alarm, which has gone away. I cleared the CEL and will continue to monitor.1000012060.png

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Both times the screen has come back to life with a power off and 15+ min restart. I'm documenting each time it happens on video and recording the date and mileage on a spreadsheet with other issues.

I'll discuss this with the folks at the dealership by phone in the coming days.

I've also received the "overfilled gas" (P0461) CEL and had a Power Steering alarm, which has gone away. I cleared the CEL and will continue to monitor.View attachment 7841286
CEL is the abbreviation for what? "Error"?

Could you clear the errors with your OBD reader? :unsure:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Its been a while since I posted to this thread, so here's a quick update.

I've driven over 6500 miles and completed my first oil change. Tomorrow I'll have 255 80 R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's put on, which is about 33 inches overall.

731358860.jpg.jpeg

Yesterday, I also happened upon a set of Ineos rock sliders on facebook for a song here locally, and managed to get one installed yesterday before the dark, rain and dinner with the fam took me away from the task. The wife confirms they are useless as far as a step go, but I expect they'll be quite functional on trails!

I'll hopefully get the drivers side installed tonight.

1709656033195.png

I'm also eagerly anticipating the arrival of my Leitner roof rack, which is rumored to be shipped out this week.

Exciting times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom