The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Washington (state) to Washington, DC

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
An introduction:
I live just outside of Washington, DC and when I booked my pre-order with Ineos, I had no idea when orders would be fulfilled, but I knew that this was a vehicle I wanted to have a chance to drive across the country.

Having watched the development of this vehicle from near the beginning (when did it begin?), I placed my reservation at 8:58 PM eastern on Sept 29 (confirmation # 0005263753). So fairly early as far as such things go. I've owned a ROW Defender 90, Nissan Xterra, Jeep Cherokee XJ, Pathfinder, etc. Currently, a NAS Defender 110 and a Discovery V TD6. A few years ago, I did a portion of the Trans American Trail ( TN to La Veta CO) in my Xterra.

1702744920199.png
1702744523692.png

When it comes to the Grenadier, I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into - and when I selected my dealer, I had a few criteria:
  • As far away from home as possible
  • An area of the country I had never driven
  • An area renowned for its natural beauty
Seattle became an easy pick. I've been to the town a few times for conferences - but not for any significant amount of time or travel. I've been up and down the East Coast and driven from LA to DC, but never from the PNW back east.

The Vehicle:
I submitted my pre-order on May 31 of this year (Pre order #0005544604). I opted for a Magic Mushroom Trialmaster with Safari windows, leather seating and the carpeted interior. We had no idea at that time what the story was going to be regarding dealer installed options, so I ordered none (regretting the lack of floor mats). I figure if there is anything I really want from the accessories catalogue, I can order them later from my dealer. At the time I ordered - I had only driven it off road at one of the Ineos driving experiences. Since then, I did have the opportunity to test drive one in Philadelphia with the dealership there. It was everything I expected, a great drive.

unnamed (2).jpg

Since then:
Looking back through my e-mails, it appears I heard from the folks @ Elliot Bay Ineos around September 30th, and on Nov 17, they sent me my VIN (006478). We've been in regular contact, and I tracked its delivery on the Morning Chant to Tacoma like many of you did. Communication has been back and forth over the time since then, and they were able to confirm they have my grenadier there at the dealer.

I recieved a call last night from the good folks at the Elliot Bay dealership in Seattle, and they have my Grenadier on hand. There is a small issue with the transfer case not shifting into low, and they are working with Ineos to resolve it. In the mean time, I'm planning my flights out there and am shooting to land in Seattle +/- the 26th of December.

The Route:
So you've decided to drive 3000 miles across the country in a brand new vehicle from a brand new manufacturer that has 18 dealerships?

Are you insane?
Maybe.

The general route, especially for the first thousand miles or so is to go in the direction of a Ineos dealership, and try to limit distances between them to 500 miles. This works out pretty well, leaving out of Elliot Bay and heading down to Boise Idaho (496 miles). After that, I'll continue on towards Salt Lake City (339 miles), and then on towards Denver (519 miles), and then finally the thousand mile slog - from Denver to Chicago. This is probably the highest risk portion of the trip, as there is not a single dealership in between.

After that - Chicago to home in Fairfax, VA to collect the family and then a quick trip into DC - completing the Washington to Washington route.

Perhaps I'll get to call on the world famous flying spanners? Who knows.

Along the way I'll be crashing at hotels and friends houses - so hopefully there will be regular updates to this thread. I'll try and take pictures as well as a drone along, we'll see how that works out.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
An introduction:
I live just outside of Washington, DC and when I booked my pre-order with Ineos, I had no idea when orders would be fulfilled, but I knew that this was a vehicle I wanted to have a chance to drive across the country.

Having watched the development of this vehicle from near the beginning (when did it begin?), I placed my reservation at 8:58 PM eastern on Sept 29 (confirmation # 0005263753). So fairly early as far as such things go. I've owned a ROW Defender 90, Nissan Xterra, Jeep Cherokee XJ, Pathfinder, etc. Currently, a NAS Defender 110 and a Discovery V TD6. A few years ago, I did a portion of the Trans American Trail ( TN to La Veta CO) in my Xterra.

View attachment 7836086
View attachment 7836083

When it comes to the Grenadier, I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into - and when I selected my dealer, I had a few criteria:
  • As far away from home as possible
  • An area of the country I had never driven
  • An area renowned for its natural beauty
Seattle became an easy pick. I've been to the town a few times for conferences - but not for any significant amount of time or travel. I've been up and down the East Coast and driven from LA to DC, but never from the PNW back east.

The Vehicle:
I submitted my pre-order on May 31 of this year (Pre order #0005544604). I opted for a Magic Mushroom Trialmaster with Safari windows, leather seating and the carpeted interior. We had no idea at that time what the story was going to be regarding dealer installed options, so I ordered none (regretting the lack of floor mats). I figure if there is anything I really want from the accessories catalogue, I can order them later from my dealer. At the time I ordered - I had only driven it off road at one of the Ineos driving experiences. Since then, I did have the opportunity to test drive one in Philadelphia with the dealership there. It was everything I expected, a great drive.

View attachment 7836084

Since then:
Looking back through my e-mails, it appears I heard from the folks @ Elliot Bay Ineos around September 30th, and on Nov 17, they sent me my VIN (006478). We've been in regular contact, and I tracked its delivery on the Morning Chant to Tacoma like many of you did. Communication has been back and forth over the time since then, and they were able to confirm they have my grenadier there at the dealer.

I recieved a call last night from the good folks at the Elliot Bay dealership in Seattle, and they have my Grenadier on hand. There is a small issue with the transfer case not shifting into low, and they are working with Ineos to resolve it. In the mean time, I'm planning my flights out there and am shooting to land in Seattle +/- the 26th of December.

The Route:
So you've decided to drive 3000 miles across the country in a brand new vehicle from a brand new manufacturer that has 18 dealerships?

Are you insane?
Maybe.

The general route, especially for the first thousand miles or so is to go in the direction of a Ineos dealership, and try to limit distances between them to 500 miles. This works out pretty well, leaving out of Elliot Bay and heading down to Boise Idaho (496 miles). After that, I'll continue on towards Salt Lake City (339 miles), and then on towards Denver (519 miles), and then finally the thousand mile slog - from Denver to Chicago. This is probably the highest risk portion of the trip, as there is not a single dealership in between.

After that - Chicago to home in Fairfax, VA to collect the family and then a quick trip into DC - completing the Washington to Washington route.

Perhaps I'll get to call on the world famous flying spanners? Who knows.

Along the way I'll be crashing at hotels and friends houses - so hopefully there will be regular updates to this thread. I'll try and take pictures as well as a drone along, we'll see how that works out.
I think Ineos will be very interested in the story of your Journey especially with the route planned! All the best and look forward to reading updates along the way! All the best!

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got great updates from the good folks at @ElliottBayINEOSGrenadier that all issues with the transfer case have been resolved. I am on schedule to fly in to Seattle the evening of 12/25 & take delivery on 12/26.

I reached out to @Boise & the good folks at the Boise Idaho dealership will be all set to give me my ~500 mile oil change when I get to town.

For info on why the 500 mile service - check this video:

View: https://youtu.be/_6nWCQ_70J0?si=mb8dc-XXZKZtiljU

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got great updates from the good folks at @ElliottBayINEOSGrenadier that all issues with the transfer case have been resolved. I am on schedule to fly in to Seattle the evening of 12/25 & take delivery on 12/26.

I reached out to @Boise & the good folks at the Boise Idaho dealership will be all set to give me my ~500 mile oil change when I get to town.

For info on why the 500 mile service - check this video:

View: https://youtu.be/_6nWCQ_70J0?si=mb8dc-XXZKZtiljU
Looks like I'm going to be learning to change my oil at home! 225+ mile back home from the dealership. Anyone got a video of them changing the oil on a "G"?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to be learning to change my oil at home! 225+ mile back home from the dealership. Anyone got a video of them changing the oil on a "G"?
Just had my first oil change at 14k km after some pretty tough off-road driving in very hot condition. I Guess a third of that distance was off road but always loaded. I don’t drive fast and don’t push the engine too much. Oil looked fine at the change.
B58petrol engine.
41c981e4-7a3b-4190-b3b1-7fb2ef75d4bb.jpeg

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding the floor mats - your dealer can order and have ready for you whe you pick up the car. I went with the rubber mats and they’re actually pretty good so I’d recommend them. My original thinking was I needed to spec all the accessories when we submitted our order, but learned from talking to our dealer that we could delete/add as needed prior to picking up.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
Just had my first oil change at 14k km after some pretty tough off-road driving in very hot condition. I Guess a third of that distance was off road but always loaded. I don’t drive fast and don’t push the engine too much. Oil looked fine at the change.
B58petrol engine.
View attachment 7836760
Still transparent, impressive 👏

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
B58petrol engine.
View attachment 7836760

Thats great - I plan on taking a sample and sending off to Blackstone for analysis.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Picked it up this afternoon - and spent a little time seeing the sights in Seattle. Tomorrow we'll head up Mt. Ranier to Paradise - and then on to Boise.

What's not to love?
ADAS & Start/Stop are manageable
Turning circle is big, but I'm the driver - I'm aware and manage

Um?

Otherwise this thing is freaking fantastic. It so reminds me of my defenders that I reached for the clutch pedal the first time I got in.

1000011439.jpg

2024 Trialmaster with Safari windows, towing (redacted ) leather & carpet.

1000011415.jpg

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Putting down some miles - just did first fill up in Naches, WA on US 12. Made our way down 12 from Mt Ranier national park.

1000011478.jpg1000011459.jpg1000011458.jpg

Note to self:
Took 706 to 7 to Interstate 12 out of Mt Ranier National Park
Continued on 12 across White Pass and through Natches to 82
Then 221 South and left on Sellards Rd and then South Plymouth Rd to 14 East
From there 84 East at Umatilla & then head down 84 East to Boise

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Another note - I had to perform my first field fix - the pin holding the collar on to the high/low CDL lever began to back out. I had locked the CDL and had also been into low gear.

My temp fix for this was to ensure the pin is in place and I put a zip tie around the collar, preventing the pin from coming out.

I'm not sure whether this would be catastrophic - but I'm not interested in getting stuck. I'll talk to the dealership folks in Boise tomorrow.

See others who have had this issue here

1000011498.jpg

Last edited:

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
Another note - I had to perform my first field fix - the pin holding the collar on to the high/low CDL lever began to back out. I had locked the CDL and had also been into low gear.

My temp fix for this was to ensure the pin is in place and I put a zip tie around the collar, preventing the pin from coming out.

I'm not sure whether this would be catastrophic - but I'm not interested in getting stuck. I'll talk to the dealership folks in Boise tomorrow.
That pin coming out has been mentioned in other threads, and several folks couldn’t find the tiny thing after it fell out. Sounds like a design flaw- there should be a zero chance of that failure. Looks like a fun trip you are having!

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That pin coming out has been mentioned in other threads, and several folks couldn’t find the tiny thing after it fell out. Sounds like a design flaw- there should be a zero chance of that failure. Looks like a fun trip you are having!
Agreed - hence the zip tie for now. If it's just a roll pin, it's the wrong size.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As I sit in traffic, the windshield has cracked:1000011500.jpg

I was on my way to the dealership and there is a tiny pit, likely from an impact. I'm surprised that caused it, but it is 28 degrees out and the heat was on high!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom