The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Washington (state) to Washington, DC

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
As I sit in traffic, the windshield has cracked:View attachment 7837476

I was on my way to the dealership and there is a tiny pit, likely from an impact. I'm surprised that caused it, but it is 28 degrees out and the heat was on high

I was on my way to the dealership and there is a tiny pit, likely from an impact. I'm surprised that caused it, but it is 28 degrees out and the heat was on high!
In case you haven’t seen it, check out the thread link below.

Thread 'Show us your crack'
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/show-us-your-crack.12413928/

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Had the oil changed this AM @Boise Ineos Grenadier. They also did a full PPI just to make sure I was good to go and had a set of rubber floor mats in stock! Great to have those.

Everyone at the dealership was super cool and as their first service customer, I felt like they really took care of me.

Packed up and hit a spray & wash to knock off the salt & grime.

After that - it was a day of burning gas. Took the interstate to Salt Lake City and am crashing here for the night.

I'll head on to Moab in the AM.

1000011507.jpg
signal-2023-12-28-15-49-46-531.jpg
1000011513.jpg

Attachments

• 1000011516.jpg
    1000011516.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
Another note - I had to perform my first field fix - the pin holding the collar on to the high/low CDL lever began to back out. I had locked the CDL and had also been into low gear.

My temp fix for this was to ensure the pin is in place and I put a zip tie around the collar, preventing the pin from coming out.

I'm not sure whether this would be catastrophic - but I'm not interested in getting stuck. I'll talk to the dealership folks in Boise tomorrow.

View attachment 7837472
Were they able to address this issue?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fuel thus far:
1000011519.png

You really have to take into consideration the route I've gone and the significant elevation changes and speed limits. Much of Idaho and UT have been 85 MPH in an 80 zone. I imagine on flat ground (and lower speeds), I'll see closer to 17.

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No - they removed my black zip tie, inspected and replaced with their white zip tie.

I'll probably put a black one on tomorrow 🤣

I'll get it addressed at my local dealer once I get home.

View attachment 7837533
Perhaps they deliberately attached a white cable tie. So that they notice it immediately at their next inspection and remember to look for the pin. :ROFLMAO:

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I was on my way to the dealership and there is a tiny pit, likely from an impact. I'm surprised that caused it, but it is 28 degrees out and the heat was on high!
Perhaps this warranty from the Dealer is not such a bad idea :oops:
There is also a recommended bundle that runs concurrently with your warranty. This option is recommended for a worry-free ownership experience. The bundle that includes tire & wheel coverage, windshield replacement, key replacement, and dent repair is called Select Plus. It is $2,995.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps this warranty from the Dealer is not such a bad idea :oops:
There is also a recommended bundle that runs concurrently with your warranty. This option is recommended for a worry-free ownership experience. The bundle that includes tire & wheel coverage, windshield replacement, key replacement, and dent repair is called Select Plus. It is $2,995.
If that's still available - I'd probably sign up! Was that offered by your dealer? I'd have to call mine and see.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fuel thus far:
View attachment 7837542

You really have to take into consideration the route I've gone and the significant elevation changes and speed limits. Much of Idaho and UT have been 85 MPH in an 80 zone. I imagine on flat ground (and lower speeds), I'll see closer to 17.
Will be interesting to see how it changes as you get closer to sea level (NVa) and flatter land. Are these prices for 91 octane as recommended in the manual? Or are you using the minimum 87 octane? Or other?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how it changes as you get closer to sea level (NVa) and flatter land. Are these prices for 91 octane as recommended in the manual? Or are you using the minimum 87 octane? Or other?
Im pumping the best available - so usually 91 or 92 out here in the west.

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
Yes offered by my Dealer (Triad -
Address: 1730 N Main St Suite 1, High Point, NC 27262

Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 9 AM

Phone: (336) 338-7774
When I was given the pitch about the various warranty options, I thought they were all too costly. I know some folks suggest you should never buy a warranty. I’m more in the camp that a warranty can make sense at the right cost. At least twice on vehicle purchases I’ve agreed to buy warranties at a significantly reduced cost. You know, keep saying “no” until the finance guy reduces the cost enough. With my Gren purchase they never offered a warranty price reduction. Maybe because these vehicles are new dealers don’t have enough profit built into the warranty to negotiate a reduced price.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There's a huge thread on the Land Rover forum for the new Defender regarding windshield cracks. Had one on mine that propagated from a small ship, actually watched it grow from a small crack to all the way across the windshield while we were driving.

What a great road trip - looking forward to seeing and reading more about your adventure home!

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
You're doing similar to what I was hoping to do with mine. I live in the Seattle area and was thinking how fun it would be to take delivery in Denver and drive it back. Keep up the posts! I'm curious to see how your fuel economy improves when you're in the 60-65 mph range for a full tank. My 1997 80-series Land Cruiser gets 14mpg fully loaded with 33" tires, ARB bumper and roof rack with RRT. Granted I keep it between 55-65 mph most of the time and it won't pull some of the passes at anything more than 35mph! :D

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
So far I see you've had two issues: cracked windscreen (which may or may not be attributed to a rock chip) and the transfer case shift collar roll pin is loose.

Regarding the windscreen crack, did the dealer in Idaho have any feedback? Seeing the number of vehicles around the world with this same crack pattern/location, I find it hard to believe this isn't caused by some process during installation. If the Grenadier was tested over 1.1 million miles all around the world in the most extreme environments, how the heck do you get a crack in the and how does your roll pin come loose when driving on mostly paved highways first 1,000 miles?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm starting to look closer at the 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser...

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm starting to look closer at the 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser...

Smiles per mile are as much as my old Defender and I can actually do 80mph safely when I need to, hear the radio and use apple car play.

Do what moves you - this moves me.

1000011543.jpg

Back
Top Bottom