The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Washington (state) to Washington, DC

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Putting down miles - Denver, CO to Iowa City, Iowa and just wrapped up the evening by having dinner with @Gxgn (thank you again!) And his lovely wife.

I'm pushing to get as close to Philly as possible by Friday so I can avoid i95 in this impending snow.

We'll see how it goes!

Love the small door at times like this.

1000011728.jpg
Goodbye Colorado
1000011717.jpg
Nebraska, I hardly knew ya - but I appreciate the drive through monument!
1000011721.jpg
Iowa - where did all this ice come from?
1000011727.jpg

Finally - today's fuel update:
1000011729.png

Last edited:
Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
Putting down miles - Denver, CO to Iowa City, Iowa and just wrapped up the evening by having dinner with @Gxgn (thank you again!) And his lovely wife.

I'm pushing to get as close to Philly as possible by Friday so I can avoid i95 in this impending snow.

We'll see how it goes!

Love the small door at times like this.

View attachment 7838380
Goodbye Colorado
View attachment 7838381
Nebraska, I hardly knew ya - but I appreciate the drive through monument!
View attachment 7838382
Iowa - where did all this ice come from?
View attachment 7838383

Finally - today's fuel update:
View attachment 7838391
Thank you for stopping by @[Adam], it was a pleasure to meet you and get the chance to ask hundreds of questions:)

Last edited:

carlg007

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just watched the video at it was great! I am just concerned that you have two places on your windshield that are cracked! I know the windshield is very upright but you would think the Ineos would have accounted for that in the strength of the glass. I know this topic has been greatly discussed the situation just makes me concerned, I remember about 10 years ago I was looking at the FJ and it was know for cracked windshields. I think insurance is going to be pricy when the insurance companies figure this out. In Florida insurance will cover the windshield if you have full coverage. I do not know if I have been lucky or not but I haven't replaced a windshield in 40 years.

Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score
I just watched the video at it was great! I am just concerned that you have two places on your windshield that are cracked! I know the windshield is very upright but you would think the Ineos would have accounted for that in the strength of the glass. I know this topic has been greatly discussed the situation just makes me concerned, I remember about 10 years ago I was looking at the FJ and it was know for cracked windshields. I think insurance is going to be pricy when the insurance companies figure this out. In Florida insurance will cover the windshield if you have full coverage. I do not know if I have been lucky or not but I haven't replaced a windshield in 40 years.
In addition to the FJ-Cruiser, the Jeep JL also suffers from an easily cracked windshield. In contrast, my two 1970s 4x4s (Toyota FJ-40 and Jeep CJ-7) did not. Windshields have gotten really expensive the last few years, and that is true even for windshields that do not have "active safety" stuff built into them. Maybe auto-makers find it too costly to put in really robust glass on an upright windshield?

Jeep ended up optioning Gorilla Glass from the factory, but it didn't seem to help that much (based on poor reviews and forum complaints).

Maybe we will learn that there is a problem with the Grenadier glass, and it is something they can fix, or maybe this is just how its going to be. The problem right now in North America is that the camera in the windshield increases the cost of glass-replacement by $850-1,900 (depending on car model). See: https://www.wired.com/story/active-safety-features-repair-fix-costs-aaa-report/

Maybe my old 4x4s were just too slow to get cracked windshields 😁

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In addition to the FJ-Cruiser, the Jeep JL also suffers from an easily cracked windshield. In contrast, my two 1970s 4x4s (Toyota FJ-40 and Jeep CJ-7) did not. Windshields have gotten really expensive the last few years, and that is true even for windshields that do not have "active safety" stuff built into them. Maybe auto-makers find it too costly to put in really robust glass on an upright windshield?

Jeep ended up optioning Gorilla Glass from the factory, but it didn't seem to help that much (based on poor reviews and forum complaints).

Maybe we will learn that there is a problem with the Grenadier glass, and it is something they can fix, or maybe this is just how its going to be. The problem right now in North America is that the camera in the windshield increases the cost of glass-replacement by $850-1,900 (depending on car model). See: https://www.wired.com/story/active-safety-features-repair-fix-costs-aaa-report/

Maybe my old 4x4s were just too slow to get cracked windshields 😁
The Gorilla Glass Jeep thing was a disappointment - it was an option I was hoping on the IG, but since it was not that effective for Jeep, it's no big deal. The PPF-type overlays seem to help - I've been watching YT videos and guys are testing them out by shooting windshields with pellet guns and slingshots. They make marks on the screen but when the film is removed there is only some residue in that spot. Some cleaner and it looks good as new.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Home!

Over 4000 miles later, I've made it home. I bee lined from Iowa City, Iowa to Carlisle, PA yesterday and made my way to the dealership in Philly this AM. I've got an insurance claim in for the windshield and they are looking into the High / Low shifter issue.

I then came down 95 home and have been spending some good time with the fam.
Chicago:
1000011758.jpg

Pennsylvania - looking a lot like the east coast and Appalachia:
1000011767.jpg

There was plenty of traffic to welcome me to DC:
1000011771.jpg

I'll post some thoughts over the weekend, but for now here is my current fuel log.
1000011772.png

Also - expect another video (or two) from TFL in the near future.

Last edited:

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
Home!

Over 4000 miles later, I've made it home. I bee lined from Iowa City, Iowa to Carlisle, PA yesterday and made my way to the dealership in Philly this AM. I've got an insurance claim in for the windshield and they are looking into the High / Low shifter issue.

Chicago:
View attachment 7838690

View attachment 7838691

View attachment 7838692

I'll post some thoughts over the weekend, but for now here is my current fuel log.
View attachment 7838693

High/low shifter issue, meaning just the pin dropping out or something worse that I missed?

Excellent adventure and the TFL video was much enjoyed

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
EPIC journey and what a great way to kick off your new ride. Thanks for sharing and also giving us some TFL tidbits to entertain.

I will say though, I knew the gas mileage would not be great, but that’s a bit worse than I was expecting. I think there’s been a lot of wishful thinking among many here and your very detailed log add some facts in this area. Thanks again for sharing.

Reactions: jwb

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Slow down to 65mph and the outlook gets a bit better. Those figures.were at higher average speeds than I usually travel here on the east coast, but are very common for more rural areas of the country.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
EPIC journey and what a great way to kick off your new ride. Thanks for sharing and also giving us some TFL tidbits to entertain.

I will say though, I knew the gas mileage would not be great, but that’s a bit worse than I was expecting. I think there’s been a lot of wishful thinking among many here and your very detailed log add some facts in this area. Thanks again for sharing.
I believe he was doing 76 to 80 on large portion of the trip. It seems the magic number is 65 to 70. Once you get above that one should expect lower mpg. My current defender averages 20 until I get to 67 then it slowly gets washed away.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Home!

Chicago:
View attachment 7838690

View attachment 7838691

View attachment 7838692

View attachment 7838693

I remember that house/farm on the PA Turnpike!!!
Glad you made it home before the Winter weather ! No doubts the "G" could handle it ... worried about all the other drivers in vehicles that can't!!
Perfect day to rest!
Cheers!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Gas mileage is going to be "individual" for geography and temperature I'm thinking. Don't make final judgement till several months /seasons (temps).

Back
Top Bottom