The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vehicle accessories - removable winch

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
Anyone checked if power exists for rear winch as standard fitment or do we need to retro fit ?
visions of cables converted from jump leads direct to battery.
As I understand it, if you order the electrical preparation and high load panel you will have the high amp NATO style plug on the back.

Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
Anyone checked if power exists for rear winch as standard fitment or do we need to retro fit ?
visions of cables converted from jump leads direct to battery.
The rear detachable winch needs the towbar to attach to and needs additional wiring on the overhead control panel. Booking the winch guides you through what more is needed. I seem to remember that the extra wiring was already standard on the Trialmaster.

MacBlooby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I too have been looking at rear mounting plate for winch and will rig up on adjustable bates frame with winch at top and 50mm ball below. 2 pins and its removed plenty variations available.

Local time
Reaction score
The receiver mounted winch seams way to pricy. Here in Canada you can get that set up with a 12000lb winch for about $800. I guess it might be a pain getting the electrical connections to match. It would be nice if it could be used in the front receiver. I have had front winches that saved my butt, however it was used so rarly the winch just got rusty.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
The receiver mounted winch seams way to pricy. Here in Canada you can get that set up with a 12000lb winch for about $800. I guess it might be a pain getting the electrical connections to match. It would be nice if it could be used in the front receiver. I have had front winches that saved my butt, however it was used so rarly the winch just got rusty.
Same here in Australia, you can buy a reciever winch cradle for under $200 from Amazon and a cheap 5 tonne winch from discount places for under $600 if you already have the high load panel and electric prep in a Trialmaster then you would just have to put a NATO style plug on it and you would be good to go. It won’t be Red Winch quality, but most people will rarely ever even put it in the car let alone use it.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Same here in Australia, you can buy a reciever winch cradle for under $200 from Amazon and a cheap 5 tonne winch from discount places for under $600 if you already have the high load panel and electric prep in a Trialmaster then you would just have to put a NATO style plug on it and you would be good to go. It won’t be Red Winch quality, but most people will rarely ever even put it in the car let alone use it.
I went down the route previously to have a non-permanently-mounted winch. The reasoning was to give greater flexibility for recovery, cheaper, not having to carry the weight around all the time.

It ended up being a bugger to pack (heavy and bulky), time consuming to fit and operate so it have ended up being a shed queen and never sees the light of day unless I'm doing tree removal!

So this time I going for the fitted factory winch just be done with it from the start.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:07 AM
Reaction score
I went down the route previously to have a non-permanently-mounted winch. The reasoning was to give greater flexibility for recovery, cheaper, not having to carry the weight around all the time.

It ended up being a bugger to pack (heavy and bulky), time consuming to fit and operate so it have ended up being a shed queen and never sees the light of day unless I'm doing tree removal!

So this time I going for the fitted factory winch just be done with it from the start.
You pretty much nailed my opinion there.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
For all those that have their vehicles could you please check out the live connection point under a red cover In the engine bay. I remember from a thread and pictures that there is a live post under the bonnet. I’m looking at a new portable compressor and jump leads and would like to know if this live terminal is there on production vehicles and also is there an earthing point nearby to connect the earth lead. A photo would help if you can
thanks.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For all those that have their vehicles could you please check out the live connection point under a red cover In the engine bay. I remember from a thread and pictures that there is a live post under the bonnet. I’m looking at a new portable compressor and jump leads and would like to know if this live terminal is there on production vehicles and also is there an earthing point nearby to connect the earth lead. A photo would help if you can
thanks.
99% certain it is there. I think it was here that someone was asking questions around that and an adjacent component and its purpose

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is my vehicle, so the live terminal is still there. I think the manual mentions earthing off the negative terminal under the bonnet, rather than picking any suitable earthing point, but I'm not clear where that is?

WP_20230428_061.jpg
WP_20230428_062.jpg

The high load bonnet outlet would seem the ideal place to plug into, only that seems to have gone missing.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
thanks.
I will connect my portable compressor with a Nato plug to the rear outlet. Why do you want to use the one under the bonnet?

Reactions: PBD

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will connect my portable compressor with a Nato plug to the rear outlet. Why do you want to use the one under the bonnet?
I like thought of what you’re doing but I like portable equipment so keeping the compressor and jump leads with the original crocodile clips means I can use on other vehicles or help out other people. Previously on my Defender I put Anderson plugs in various locations and put Anderson plugs on my compressor, jump leads etc. this time I’m keeping everything more simple basic.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom