The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vehicle accessories - removable winch

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:41 PM
Reaction score
My Ineos rep has been in contact with me.
The website is in error and Ineos are working to fix it. The front plate is "NOT" compatible with a portable winch.
Hope there aren't any other cockups!

He also confirmed a suspension upgrade is included with the integrated winch.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ah your post wasn't there when I started typing. Yes I've also added the integrated winch. Hope the changes don't screw up our build slots.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
Following on from our chat, the towing interface means that the tow bar can be set to 3 different heights. When you have the tow ball fitted as its lowest position the removable winch is able to slot in without removing the tow-bar from the vehicle.

The higher two positions will cover up the slot.
IMG20220916114423.jpg
Not seeing room for the tow ball in the lower mounts at all?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dear Dave. Spot on! I looked at Amazon.co.uk and found these. I was going to post my findings but you’ve provided all the info. Having an easily removable tow hitch makes much more sense. Martin
And then you're back to trying to find a type approved one if your Grenadier is an M1 in the UK.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
Are 2” (50mm) removeable receiver and ball allowed in the UK? That way you can easily remove need be and there are a variety of options. Stuff like this:

Attachments

• 7F6B6980-4016-4436-AED5-EB6AE3C99C3D.png
    7F6B6980-4016-4436-AED5-EB6AE3C99C3D.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
"In the U.K, with effect from 1st August 1998 all Passenger Carrying Vehicles up to 3500kgs Gross Vehicle Weight (M1 Vehicles) can only be fitted with European Type Approved towbars if the vehicle has received European Whole Vehicle Type Approval.

Non M1 vehicles, light commercial vehicles and private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars; however, most car and some Light Commercial Vehicles such as vans commonly use the Type Approved Towbar."

So it's a question of finding 2" hitch with the type approval for M1 vehicles. N1 seems to be OK using the OEM Oz spec if Ineos will provide it to the UK market, swapping out the towball for a 50mm one. This might well be the same as the version for the US market?

The obvious solution would be to type approve it as an aftermarket part and sell it everywhere as the default option (just different towball sizes).

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It looks like NA and Oz have the same setup. It’s really nice because it’s so easy to swap different things in and out - tow ball, D ring, hitch basket, etc. it’s all a matter of simply removing a clip and a pin.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It looks like NA and Oz have the same setup. It’s really nice because it’s so easy to swap different things in and out - tow ball, D ring, hitch basket, etc. it’s all a matter of simply removing a clip and a pin.
Particularly different height hitches and tow ball or swivel mount

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You're right Krabby -it's certainly easier to rig but it's not quite the same... the NA tow hitch is 1 7/8" =47.6mm whereas the Oz Design Rules specify 50mm thus would not comply. (1 7/8" ball is a loose fit in the standard 50mm coupling). Apparently that's now being addressed' by the local (Oz) IA office.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have you got that the right way around?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My receiver is 2” but some trucks have 2,5 and Super Dutys might have 3”. As for ball size itself that all varies but you might be right that the standard ball is 1-7/8”.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's a good setup. I towed heavy trailers behind my Discovery with it for many years (before the law change).

The popular solution, to achieve the same swappability, in the UK has been the Dixon Bate removable drop plate:
45100-lr007221-tow-bar-kit-adustable-90-1998-on.jpg
You can even run 2 different systems at the same time!
normal_DBfinal_4.jpg

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My receiver is 2” but some trucks have 2,5 and Super Dutys might have 3”. As for ball size itself that all varies but you might be right that the standard ball is 1-7/8”.
The Australian brochure listed the standard towing arrangements as 1 7/8"NAS. I and others independently had email correspondence with IA early on pointing out that the specs required amendment for the Australian market so as to compliant with the Australian Design rules. I haven't looked at the configurator or brochure for quite a while but to the best of my knowledge it's still showing the 1 7/8" spec.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just checked the US brochure and you’re right that it shows 1 7/8” but every truck I’ve ever owned has been 2” and that includes a GMC 1500, 3 F150s and a Rubicon.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You're right Krabby -it's certainly easier to rig but it's not quite the same... the NA tow hitch is 1 7/8" =47.6mm whereas the Oz Design Rules specify 50mm thus would not comply. (1 7/8" ball is a loose fit in the standard 50mm coupling). Apparently that's now being addressed' by the local (Oz) IA office.
Yes. I was told will be 50mm in Australia by the main man

MacBlooby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone checked if power exists for rear winch as standard fitment or do we need to retro fit ?
visions of cables converted from jump leads direct to battery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom