The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vehicle accessories - removable winch

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I’ll do my research. A receiver hitch solution would suit me fine.
Been doing the research and it seems N1 registered vehicles don’t need type approved tow bars as DCPU’s screen shot suggested , so I’ll be going down the 2” receiver hitch tow ball route myself

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
Do you Aussies use they UK style or NAS type hitches?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
Do you Aussies use they UK style or NAS type hitches?
They require ADR approval (Australian Design Rules) and we are seeing the UK/ECE lightweight version appear on cars designed to carry up top 1200KG
Typically on 4WD's you get the 50mm square as below.
You can then slide in a wide variety of hitches with the 50mm ball being the standard but offroad swivel hitches are becoming very common
https://mr4x4.com.au/the-ultimate-off-road-hitch-guide-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

1671304067330.png

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All, i thought I would give this thread a bump. I’d like to catch all of the relevant info regarding the portable winch and front towing mounting plate in one place. I have ordered the plate and was planning on the winch based on the information on the configurator. I am a newbie so I might have missed the bloody obvious. What I think we as a group know is:

Load capacity of 3500kg and the high load panel is the factory solution for wiring

I think we have assumed that a remote is provided, the accessories in the Recovery Kit are equally compatible with the integrated and portable winches (yes I'm pretty sure the gloves will work on both ends :rolleyes:) and that there must be a socket at the front (as part of the towing panel) to plug in the power lead.

I don't think we know :
the weight of the cradle and winch.
The cable type,, diameter, length etc.
If there is a socket at the front for trailer lamps etc (probably not needed but it would be good to know).

I am still concerned by the post by DenisM after the Brissy drive day

“Attended the Brisbane drive day today at "Thunder Park"...Mt Tambourine. Excellent. I'm stoked in anticipation. My dear wife was most impressed at the comfort of the rear passenger seat and the visibility from the driver's seat...though "petite", she could easily see both front corners. The vehicle crawled over rough rutted narrow tracks with ease and apparent minimal effort.. it certainly instilled confidence!

In a detailed discussion about the front tow plate I was advised that the said option is designed to manoeuvre caravans, trailers, horse floats etc. It is NOT designed to accommodate a portable winch cradle. The mounting does not have the strength to support the dead weight of the vehicle.

There is a deal of confusion, especially since a portable winch kit was offered in the early accessory list. The portable winch is fine for the rear tow hitch receiver. Not the front one!

Apparently this subject came up at the Perth drive day and the local Ineos Australia team is keen to get the message out as to the design limits. As a result I am in the course of cancelling this option if it's not too late.”

I spoke to my agent, and he had no idea that there was an issue. He said he would chase up Ineos but warned that they are buckling under the load to manage the contract side of things and might take a while to respond.
If I can’t use the portable winch on the front then I need to think about the integrated winch and devise a front tow solution.

I have included below a couple of images I have seen in other threads that haven’t been posted here.

If anyone has information to clarify please update this thread.

Merry Christmas
Paul

Rear Winch fitted.png

IMG_20220609_054744.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
Iâm just wondering if anyone has more details on the removable winch accessory. Some questions I have are:
  • is there a specific stow point inside the vehicle for it?
  • is it an existing winch model, if so what is it?
Yes there is a specific bracket to secure the portable winch in the load area. Sadly I dont have any details as its outside of our scope.
The portable winch is based on the integrated winch but a different ratio to reduce the pulling capacity/increase line speed. Neither of the two Winches we are supplying INEOS are based on existing products they are a brand new platform exclusive to INEOS.

Hope this helps.

Local time
Reaction score
Yes there is a specific bracket to secure the portable winch in the load area. Sadly I dont have any details as its outside of our scope.
The portable winch is based on the integrated winch but a different ratio to reduce the pulling capacity/increase line speed. Neither of the two Winches we are supplying INEOS are based on existing products they are a brand new platform exclusive to INEOS.

Hope this helps.
A helpful comment. I still haven’t been able to establish whether the rear removable winch fits with the fitted rear towbar. In other words, if the winch fits on the same tow hitch as the tow ball are the clip on/off? If they are bolt on/off it is much less attractive.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
A helpful comment. I still haven’t been able to establish whether the rear removable winch fits with the fitted rear towbar. In other words, if the winch fits on the same tow hitch as the tow ball are the clip on/off? If they are bolt on/off it is much less attractive.
Does this help?

Attachments

• REDW cradle1.jpg
    REDW cradle1.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 15

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
While I understand the winch is essential, or at least insurance for many people, I don't understand why people would select a winch but not the diff locks
Maybe they want to fit other styles later but I am pretty sure they said that the axles/diffs are completely different with/without this option.

Local time
Reaction score
While I understand the winch is essential, or at least insurance for many people, I don't understand why people would select a winch but not the diff locks
Maybe they want to fit other styles later but I am pretty sure they said that the axles/diffs are completely different with/without this option.
I’ve ordered the diff locks but on the basis of the Land Rover diff locks they are not fail proof. There are also others who need pulling out. In Herefordshire I’m talking about silt and mud not rock and sand.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve ordered the diff locks but on the basis of the Land Rover diff locks they are not fail proof. There are also others who need pulling out. In Herefordshire I’m talking about silt and mud not rock and sand.
Yes I completely understand why people get winches even though I have not ordered one.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have a look here:

It's hard to see how the UK spec Towball doesn't stop use of the hitch receiver for the support arm/tube of the winch:
Screenshot_20220224_072605_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Now there a mod waiting to happen

"The portable winch is based on the integrated winch but a different ratio to reduce the pulling capacity/increase line speed."

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Hope this helps.
Did you undertake any tests of the portable winch using the front hitch receiver?

Local time
Reaction score
The portable winch fits into the 2" receiver hitch and then is locked in place with a pin.
I can't comment on the tow balls as none of the vehicles I have been around have been fitted with a tow pack

Local time
Reaction score
The portable winch fits into the 2" receiver hitch and then is locked in place with a pin.
I can't comment on the tow balls as none of the vehicles I have been around have been fitted with a tow pack
I got this helpful reply from Ineos. I do agree from the photo that although the towball on the lowest holes leaves the winch plug in socket open it still looks as though the ball is obstructing it.

Ineos advice:

CASE REFERENCE: 82731

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for your time the other day.

Following on from our chat, the towing interface means that the tow bar can be set to 3 different heights. When you have the tow ball fitted as its lowest position the removable winch is able to slot in without removing the tow-bar from the vehicle.

The higher two positions will cover up the slot.

I hope this has answered your query for you, if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,

Riah

INEOS Grenadier Customer Service

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I got this helpful reply from Ineos. I do agree from the photo that although the towball on the lowest holes leaves the winch plug in socket open it still looks as though the ball is obstructing it.

Ineos advice:

CASE REFERENCE: 82731

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for your time the other day.

Following on from our chat, the towing interface means that the tow bar can be set to 3 different heights. When you have the tow ball fitted as its lowest position the removable winch is able to slot in without removing the tow-bar from the vehicle.

The higher two positions will cover up the slot.

I hope this has answered your query for you, if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,

Riah

INEOS Grenadier Customer Service
The ones shown on the Ineos pictures is a crazy setup.
Normally you use a tow hitch like this that slides into the 2" square slot.
You would take it out and slide the winch in it's place.
In fact if you like your shins you would only slide the tow ball in when you needed to use it.

1671563516725.png

Local time
Reaction score
The ones shown on the Ineos pictures is a crazy setup.
Normally you use a tow hitch like this that slides into the 2" square slot.
You would take it out and slide the winch in it's place.
In fact if you like your shins you would only slide the tow ball in when you needed to use it.

View attachment 7798253
Dear Dave. Spot on! I looked at Amazon.co.uk and found these. I was going to post my findings but you’ve provided all the info. Having an easily removable tow hitch makes much more sense. Martin

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dear Dave. Spot on! I looked at Amazon.co.uk and found these. I was going to post my findings but you’ve provided all the info. Having an easily removable tow hitch makes much more sense. Martin
I guarantee with a permanent tow ball fitted you will bash your legs into it more often than you connect a trailer to it

Local time
Reaction score
I guarantee with a permanent tow ball fitted you will bash your legs into it more often than you connect a trailer to it
Agreed. Also, when I had a Discovery the tow ball at a setting low enough to tow a trailer level, the bottom of the ladder type trailer hitch kept hitting the ground off road even when no trailer was attached. The Ineos Grenadier hitch looks better so this might not happen.

Back
Top Bottom