The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

UK & Ireland UK insurance

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:06 AM
Reaction score
I apologise for being abrupt @Grenadierfella. As it is business insurance for a commercial vehicle I wonder if you have tried the NFU? What I don't understand is why your existing business insurers have rejected the addition of the vehicle.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We’ve insured our N1 commercial grenadier with Admiral but private use only but maybe worth a call

ipcrss

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I apologise for being abrupt @Grenadierfella. As it is business insurance for a commercial vehicle I wonder if you have tried the NFU? What I don't understand is why your existing business insurers have rejected the addition of the vehicle.
Hi Eric, did you mangage to find a business insurance. I am about to start looking for similar
Hi Eric, did you mangage to find a business insurance. I am about to start looking for similar. Regards

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I insured with NFU this month who were very good at efficiently arranging insurance. When the paperwork arrived I was advised that the vehicle had to have a Thatcham category 2 immobiliser fitted to effect theft cover. This despite having a Scorpion 5+ tracker fitted with full monitoring in place for life. The NFU underwriter was adamant that it had to be a Thatcham 2 or better immobiliser, they weren’t bothered about a tracker. I suspect, but am not certain, this may have been because the vehicle cost over £70k all in.
I had to find alternative cover - LV who confirmed theft cover provided the vehicle was fully tracked, subs paid up.
If you’ve insured with NFU recently it may be worth reading your policy wording.

Carefant

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I insured with NFU this month who were very good at efficiently arranging insurance. When the paperwork arrived I was advised that the vehicle had to have a Thatcham category 2 immobiliser fitted to effect theft cover. This despite having a Scorpion 5+ tracker fitted with full monitoring in place for life. The NFU underwriter was adamant that it had to be a Thatcham 2 or better immobiliser, they weren’t bothered about a tracker. I suspect, but am not certain, this may have been because the vehicle cost over £70k all in.
I had to find alternative cover - LV who confirmed theft cover provided the vehicle was fully tracked, subs paid up.
If you’ve insured with NFU recently it may be worth reading your policy wording.
I’m having the exact same experience Jon.

I’m a regular customer of NFU, so was very disappointed not only they they declined to cover for theft, but also by the way the whole thing was handled. I only spotted the exclusion after I’d paid when they sent me the printed policy; it hadn’t been mentioned previously. It then took them over a week of speaking to underwriters before they finally said the Thatcham Cat 2 immobiliser was mandatory or the vehicle “wasn’t covered for theft or damage caused by attempted theft”.

The silly sausages kept saying ‘you are welcome to proceed with the policy and accept the endorsement’. Well that’s not comprehensive insurance is it? And why would I rip out a perfectly good immobiliser and replace it with another one, especially when the Grenny electronics are a bit flaky already!

Left me feeling very grumpy, and you are absolutely right to warn others that this annoying bit of small print from NFU must be a showstopper for any sensible Grenny owner, so read the policy document!

And a PS to IA; get the immobiliser Thatcham approved please, so future owners don’t have this palaver.

Vic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very interesting: I’m in a similar position but came to a different conclusion. NFU were very clear at the quote stage on their requirement for a Cat 2 Immobiliser. Other companies are proving to be more expensive for me for inferior cover. I have, incidentally, noticed that rates have gone up by ca. 25-50% since I ordered and some insurers are no longer quoting. I have calculated that the payback period for fitting a Cat 2 is pretty good and will have that done prior to collection. I shouldn’t have to do this, so shame on Ineos for not installing everything we need for the UK market.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The amount of insurers now declining to quote on Range Rover products, electric vehicles and now the Grenadier! What is the rationale regarding the Grenadier? Any been crashed or stolen yet?

Carefant

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Very interesting: I’m in a similar position but came to a different conclusion. NFU were very clear at the quote stage on their requirement for a Cat 2 Immobiliser. Other companies are proving to be more expensive for me for inferior cover. I have, incidentally, noticed that rates have gone up by ca. 25-50% since I ordered and some insurers are no longer quoting. I have calculated that the payback period for fitting a Cat 2 is pretty good and will have that done prior to collection. I shouldn’t have to do this, so shame on Ineos for not installing everything we need for the UK market.
Hi Vic. I contemplated doing the same thing, but fitting a new immobiliser just stuck in the craw! In the end I got a virtually identical policy for about 5% more than NFU from Admiral. I’m hoping that in 12 months things will have settled down and there will be more choice of reasonable premiums.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just having a browse at Autotrader and I see that when looking at insurance groups, the Grenadier is shown as 50 U. The U indicates that its security is below the standard expected of insurers.
The new Defender however, is showing at 40 E. The E indicates that its security exceeds that expected of insurers. So, not only is the new Defender fitted with superior security to the Grenadier, but also comes in as a cheaper group. I am wondering if the media reporting regarding JLR insurance is not as accurate as one might think. It seems that later models of the JLR products have very high security.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very happy with my £450.00 premium at LV. Expecting a big rise next year due to inflation though.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Just having a browse at Autotrader and I see that when looking at insurance groups, the Grenadier is shown as 50 U. The U indicates that its security is below the standard expected of insurers.
The new Defender however, is showing at 40 E. The E indicates that its security exceeds that expected of insurers. So, not only is the new Defender fitted with superior security to the Grenadier, but also comes in as a cheaper group. I am wondering if the media reporting regarding JLR insurance is not as accurate as one might think. It seems that later models of the JLR products have very high security.
The security systems may be high quality in JLR products, but they can be circumvented by OBD exploits and boosting key signals. The media reporting is a fair reflection of the numbers of vehicles being lifted. (Asked my friendly compliance engineer mate, who told me it is the previous generation with the real theft problem).

Sometimes less is more, although Grenadiers may be benefitting from "secuity by obscurity". The biggest problem for all security systems is the humans in the chain; idle, slapdash and never read the manual.

Last edited:

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had insured with Admiral on a multi car policy in June 2023, 2 seat utility N1. The amount I paid for the 5 months worked out at £480 per year.
Policy is now due for renewal and is £694 with wife and two sons included. Happy with this as all insurance cost have increased. Adding a tracker would only reduce the price by £11 over the year. I’ll still get a tracker fitted though.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had insured with Admiral on a multi car policy in June 2023, 2 seat utility N1. The amount I paid for the 5 months worked out at £480 per year.
Policy is now due for renewal and is £694 with wife and two sons included. Happy with this as all insurance cost have increased. Adding a tracker would only reduce the price by £11 over the year. I’ll still get a tracker fitted though.
This is interesting, I’m just getting my gren added to my Multicar and it’s only added £300 without a tracker. I did wonder how much a tracker would reduce the premium by - not very much by the sound of it!

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is interesting, I’m just getting my gren added to my Multicar and it’s only added £300 without a tracker. I did wonder how much a tracker would reduce the premium by - not very much by the sound of it!
When I added the Grenadier to my Admiral policy in June the additional cost for 5 months was only £210 (£504 pro rata per annum), with my wife and two sons covered. Still okay with the renewal at £694.

Back
Top Bottom