Trial Master ticks off all the boxes

ADVAW8S

Contributor
Founding Guard
The Trialmaster ticks off all the boxes.  I won't know until US version comes out but I don't see myself not building the Trialmaster.  I also would like to petition a name change to Trailmaster.  The only thing I don't see is the Gullwings on uk brochure    I assume that is not available in UK and may still show up here in the states.
 

Spjnr

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Founding Guard
ADVAW8S said:
The Trialmaster ticks off all the boxes.  I won't know until US version comes out but I don't see myself not building the Trialmaster.  I also would like to petition a name change to Trailmaster.  The only thing I don't see is the Gullwings on uk brochure    I assume that is not available in UK and may still show up here in the states.

Yes it seems the obvious choice for those of us that want an offroader/overlander, the trialmaster gives 90% of the boxes id have ticked anyway, only thing ill add is roof rack and rock sliders
 

Paachi

Contributor
Founding Guard
+1 The Trialmaster ticks all boxes for me. The Fieldmaster has leather so a straight no no and the base is more costly to spec up than getting Trialmaster. 
I love the lockable spare tire storage box. It’s a very very useful thing. I hope it’s reasonably weather sealed to avoid dust and water getting in. 
My additional options are lockable spare tire box, hd winch, rock sliders, cyclone pre cleaner, checker plate, camp table, rock sliders, hd seat covers, rubber floor mats (if they are high walled). Also if these prices are at installed pricing. Not if they ask for more $$$s for installation by dealer
 

stickshifter

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Spjnr said:
Yes it seems the obvious choice for those of us that want an offroader/overlander, the trialmaster gives 90% of the boxes id have ticked anyway, only thing ill add is roof rack and rock sliders

Just FYI: if you start with the commercial 2-seater and spec it up to the Trailmaster (I'm going with "trail" not "trial" - Trialmaster sounds either very British, or just weird ?) you can save about $2K. I have to go through the two builds more carefully to get an exact match of equipment, and then the price delta.

For an over-lander, there are a few advantages to the commercial: (1) flat floor through the entire area behind the front seats, (2) a little higher payload, due to the removal of the second row of seats, (3) it comes with the full-height cargo divider (not a big deal).

Do you know of any disadvantages to the commercial 2-seater (other than the obvious lack a second row of seats)?
 

stickshifter

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Chester said:
Only problem with the Trailmaster for me is the Safari roof.. I didn’t really want that option. 

From the UK Price list: the safari windows are standard on the Fieldmaster, but not on the Trialmaster.

The farthest right column is Fieldmaster, the second column from the right is the Trialmaster:

 
 

ADVAW8S

Contributor
Founding Guard
Here in US I only get the 5 seater.   I can pull the rear seat but the kids don't want to be strapped to the roof.   I wanted the safari windows but after seeing trailmaster with the full rack, I said oh well.  
 

Chester

Contributor
stickshifter said:
From the UK Price list: the safari windows are standard on the Fieldmaster, but not on the Trialmaster.

The farthest right column is Fieldmaster, the second column from the right is the Trialmaster:

 

you are correct.. I must have miss read that! 
 

grenadierboy

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
and interestingly no blind or cover that goes with the safari windows meaning a lot of extra light and heat especially if you in southern US, Middle East, Africa and Australia
 

crimson

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
I actually like the idea of Safari windows, but without a blind or cover it's a no go. I wonder if the official release might fix this... If so I'll be back in the game.

Anyone know where to go and see or sit in a prototype in Sydney?
 

MarksGrenadier

Contributor
I also like the Trialmaster the best.  Add a few options and around 64K I have the car built to my liking.  Not liking the cost of the winch at 3$400.  I think a warn aftermarket winch should be half that price but need to investigate that.  Overall the price seems in line.

The 64K question is what it will be listed for in the US as these prices include a 20% VAT which we don't have but what about shipping and import duties??
We are also in a car shortage so dealers are screwing us on ADM markups so I hope we can lock in pricing direct and avoid that mess.  I would pay sales tax of 8.3% instead of your VAT but that is always applied to the bottom line and not included in any pricing like you have in the UK.

We shall see but overall I can't wait to do the build with the US price sheet later this year.  Not sure why they don't just release it now.
 

DaveB

Prolific Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
stickshifter said:
Just FYI: if you start with the commercial 2-seater and spec it up to the Trailmaster (I'm going with "trail" not "trial" - Trialmaster sounds either very British, or just weird ?) you can save about $2K. I have to go through the two builds more carefully to get an exact match of equipment, and then the price delta.

For an over-lander, there are a few advantages to the commercial: (1) flat floor through the entire area behind the front seats, (2) a little higher payload, due to the removal of the second row of seats, (3) it comes with the full-height cargo divider (not a big deal).

Do you know of any disadvantages to the commercial 2-seater (other than the obvious lack a second row of seats)?

They have to relocate the battery and electrical from under the rear seat as it isn't there anymore. 
I haven't seen any information on where they relocated it to.
 

Paachi

Contributor
Founding Guard
Don’t remember if I heard this at the prototype tour or in a video walkthrough..I think the under seat battery and fuses are for the aux battery and the associated fuses for the overhead electrical system. 
The main battery is gonna be under the hood
 

DaveB

Prolific Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
No. They have always said that the battery and fuses were mounted under the seat for easy access and keep away from water. 
The auxiliary battery is under the seat on the other side and if not fitted that becomes an underseat storage compartment. 
That is why the seats don't fold flat 
Obviously if there are no backseats they need to move them elsewhere.
This then allows the whole load area to be flat.
 

DaveB

Prolific Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
Paachi said:
+1 The Trialmaster ticks all boxes for me. The Fieldmaster has leather so a straight no no and the base is more costly to spec up than getting Trialmaster. 
I love the lockable spare tire storage box. It’s a very very useful thing. I hope it’s reasonably weather sealed to avoid dust and water getting in. 
My additional options are lockable spare tire box, hd winch, rock sliders, cyclone pre cleaner, checker plate, camp table, rock sliders, hd seat covers, rubber floor mats (if they are high walled). Also if these prices are at installed pricing. Not if they ask for more $$$s for installation by dealer
Price list shows the following
Accessory prices shown are indicative, including GST and fitment. Final prices will be confirmed by your selected retail partner.
 

stickshifter

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
DaveB said:
They have to relocate the battery and electrical from under the rear seat as it isn't there anymore. 
I haven't seen any information on where they relocated it to.

Thanks for your reply! That is a pretty big difference. For some reason I thought that the flat floor was at a height that still allowed for the batteries in the same location. When you fold down the second row of seats in the 5-seat station wagon, they do not fold flat with the floor in the rear compartment of the vehicle. BUT, the section that stands up just seems to be made up of the seat bottom and seat back (of the second row). So it looked like the batteries would still fit. I'm not sure that made any sense... But thanks again for pointing that out.

Despite creating some inconvenience, I like the location of the batteries inside the vehicle for two pretty important reasons: (1) they stay out of the abuse of the engine compartment (water, mud, and heat from the engine), and (2) better weight distribution front-to-rear (at least when the vehicle is relatively empty). Maybe I've spent too much time driving pick-up trucks, which are really light in the rear (when empty), but decent weight distribution is a pretty big deal in the winter. Of course, all-wheel drive helps mitigate poor weight distribution. My guess is that the Grenadier is pretty well-balanced. I would guess less than 55% front and more than 45% rear (when unloaded). Total guess. Has anyone seen the data on weight distribution?

Jeep 4-Door Rubicon: 55/45
Toyota FJ Cruiser: 54/46
Nissan X-Terra: 52/48
 

Arkaig

Contributor
Grenadier Ordered
ADVAW8S said:
I also would like to petition a name change to Trailmaster. 
NoGaBiker said:
 I know, right? Even if you ARE an attorney it sounds like you’ve got an ego problem. ?

I suspect not!

Trialmaster relates to the Scottish Six Days Trial, an internationally recognised Motorcycle trials competition, which has been running since 1909 making it the oldest motorcycle trials event in the world. Belstaff introduced the Trialmaster jacket in 1948 specifically to cope with the grueling conditions of the Scottish Six Days Trial.
 
Top