The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing mount (Australia) for the IG

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
There has been issues around sourcing an Australian towing mount (aka towing tongue) compatible with the INEOS Grenadier.

John Canny in a recent video describes his solution from Allin Towbar, a family run company based in South Australia. I have ordered one.

The INEOS towing mount is not on the Allin Towbar website but it is a custom build. So, email Allin Towbar.

John discusses the towing mount here (thanks John):

View: https://youtu.be/Zvd_wtI8lEk?t=203

Last edited:

Rooballer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I got a Hayman Reese receiver kit, fits with no issues.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got a Hayman Reese receiver kit, fits with no issues.

Thanks good to know, I have an older Haymen Reese.

Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
The last thing you want is a long or extended tow ball tongue, it increases weight transfer, decreases stability, I go out of my way to shorten tow ball tongue's.
I am sure that long tongue would be fine but not ideal for when you are towing a couple of hundred kilograms, but for a couple of thousand kilograms or more it will greatly increase stress on components and ruin the well engineered short rear overhang of the Grenadier that makes it an exceptional tow vehicle.
And changing the design for the worse just to make it slightly easier to hook a trailer up.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The last thing you want is a long or extended tow ball tongue, it increases weight transfer, decreases stability, I go out of my way to shorten tow ball tongue's.
I am sure that long tongue would be fine but not ideal for when you are towing a couple of hundred kilograms, but for a couple of thousand kilograms or more it will greatly increase stress on components and ruin the well engineered short rear overhang of the Grenadier that makes it an exceptional tow vehicle.
And changing the design for the worse just to make it slightly easier to hook a trailer up.
Yep, this. Moment (down force) = towball mass X DISTANCE.
I have posted here several times that Mister Hitches tongues fit the Grenadier receiver. I shortened mine to the minimum length and drilled a new pin hole. That may not suit if you're trying to add a rock tamer.

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_024951315.jpg
    PXL_20230929_024951315.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not an issue, when towing a trailer around 900kg max, which is my intended use.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, this. Force = mass X DISTANCE.
I have posted here several times that Mister Hitches tongues fit the Grenadier receiver. I shortened mine to the minimum length and drilled a new pin hole. That may not suit if you're trying to add a rock tamer.
Force = mass x acceleration
Moment (torque) = force x distance.
In the bottom equation, you could transpose force with mass, but not technically correct.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Force = mass x acceleration
Moment (torque) = force x distance.
In the bottom equation, you could transpose force with mass, but not technically correct.
Yes, Moment. Brain fart. Well spotted. I was heading towards the increased moment and effect on the rear axle load but I lost interest and moved on.
Fixed. Thanks DD.

Last edited:

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you have a short drawbar there is an issue with the standard, short tow tongue.

First time out and reversing into a site. It should be said that I have been towing this van with my JGC for over six years and never once had an issue. Even with my previous LR D2 - no issues.
20231123_111532.jpg
I had a look and worked out that the distance from the rearmost part of the JGC to the centre of the tow ball hole is around 150mm - much less with the IG. I went to a towbar manufacturer and had a longer tow tongue made up but have yet to test it.
IG Tow Tongue.jpg

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Gen-Y articulated hitch adds the height I need for the caravan as I have at 600mm to the DO45 hitch base. And reduces the stress on the coupling on rougher roads. I find it performs best nearer 200kg towball weight. (I have a DO45 cause my caravan chassis is rated to 4400 though I only load it to 3500 - it’s a resale investment should I offload it)

It’s better than my Hayman Reese WDH setup for manoeuvre-ability as there are no bars or points other the the A-frame tow chassis to stop getting full turn on the van. It does have 14cm less depth to the centre of the DO45 though.

For the Grenadier, I did have to cleanup weld spill on the inside of the Grenadier mount in two spots as the tow hitch is 51.8mm exactly (The full 2” with no wiggle room). I made my dealer aware of this and they have said they would add this check to all new vehicles.

The Gen-Y adds approximately 30% leverage to the towball weight over what a direct attached same height fixed tongue bar might do, as it is 37cm to hitch centre. Wheel centre to hitch plate is around 80cm. Best possible is therefore 90cm to the hitch centre and mine is 117cm. But done if that leverage is cushioned and isolated due to the articulation. So it’s way smoother to drive on rough roads.

IMG_3004.jpeg IMG_3007.jpegIMG_2759.jpeg

Versus the Hayman Reese WDH at 23cm to hitch centre (this photo from my lifted Jeep GC showing a greater step up is required to the hitch) Note: I scarred my van Aframe on this tow hitch where the needless right hand plate is (if you look closely you can see the small rust mark on the plate) just doing a right hand turn at close to full lock in the Jeep GC which is a bit tighter that the 13.4m of the Grenadier) Mental note: full lock left turn is ok, right turn not so much, Thanks H-R.

IMG_3005.jpeg

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Received the Allin Tow Mount today, wow what a piece of engineering.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A quick image. What you do not feel is the weight, really well made. No tubes all solid metal. Almost 50% heavier than my other towing mount for the Nissan Patrol. I attached my new DO35 hitch (separate purchase). That is an A3 envelope in the background for size reference. Capacity 3.5 metric tonnes, max towball weight 350kgs. My trailer is less than 1 tonne, so plenty of headroom. Towing mount comes out further and is taller than the INEOS option.

IMG_8774 v1.jpgIMG_8775 v1.jpgIMG_8777 v1.jpgIMG_8778 v1.jpg

Last edited:

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is that one of their standard mounts or a special? Could you post a link to it please?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is that one of their standard mounts or a special? Could you post a link to it please?
Custom order, so not on their site. Email them, and tell them it is for the INEOS Grenadier. I know they have sold at least two so far, to John Canny and me. You could quote my Invoice number: 25813 which will identify it (see the picture above)

View: https://youtu.be/Zvd_wtI8lEk?t=203

Last edited:

Shippa

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
A quick image. What you do not feel is the weight, really well made. No tubes all solid metal. Almost 50% heavier than my other towing mount for the Nissan Patrol. I attached my new DO35 hitch (separate purchase). That is an A1 envelope in the background for size reference. Capacity 3.5 metric tonnes, max towball weight 350kgs. My trailer is less than 1 tonne, so plenty of headroom. Towing mount comes out further and is taller than the INEOS option.

View attachment 7839907
I assume you mean Australian C1 for standard A4 sheets, not the American A1(90mm X130mm)

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I assume you mean Australian C1 for standard A4 sheets, not the American A1(90mm X130mm)
Yes metric A3. Let me check that. Now that you say that I may have it wrong.

EDIT: Correction A3 metric size, being two A4 pages joined together. Way out on the first one!

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes metric A3. Let me check that. Now that you say that I may have it wrong.

EDIT: Correction A3 metric size, being two A4 pages joined together. Way out on the first one!
That’s ok the size is clear as the receiver bar is 2” square or it wouldn’t fit.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A quick image. What you do not feel is the weight, really well made. No tubes all solid metal. Almost 50% heavier than my other towing mount for the Nissan Patrol. I attached my new DO35 hitch (separate purchase). That is an A3 envelope in the background for size reference. Capacity 3.5 metric tonnes, max towball weight 350kgs. My trailer is less than 1 tonne, so plenty of headroom. Towing mount comes out further and is taller than the INEOS option.

View attachment 7839920View attachment 7839921View attachment 7839922View attachment 7839923

Out of curiosity, what does it weigh?

Back
Top Bottom