The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Hitch

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:52 PM
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party here, but recently did a bit of on-line digging to get to the bottom of the tow hitch spec offered in for Australian buyers by Ineos ie, "Class III 1-7/8" NAS Tow Hitch and electrics" which may resolve some of the confusion.

The US has a number of tow hitch classes (1-5) each of which have specific tow hitch/receiver towing weight ranges and downloads. Standard US tow hitch receiver sizes are 1 1/4", 2", 2 1/2" and 3". There is no 1 7/8" hit receiver size, but 1-7/8" is a standard light duty ball size in the US.
It gets confusing though as manufacturers can make a Class III tow hitch which is certified to a particular weight and download within the range permissible. The following web site gives a nice summary table of the weight and ball wt ranges for each tow hitch class https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx. Most importantly Class III specifies a 2" receiver and covers a tow/ball wt range of 1600/135kg - 3600/360kg.

The the Australian Ineos tow hitch spec can therefore be read as a 2" Class III receiver and 1 7/8" tow ball. In Australia though the minimum permissible tow ball size is 50mm so I would expect this would be supplied instead.

Cheers
Steve

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
Maybe only for Germany?

found this in German by Google:

„Die Kupplungskugel der AHK muss im beladenen Fahrzeugzustand in einer Höhe von 350 bis 420 Millimeter vom Boden entfernt sein“, sagt Thomas Caasmann von der Gesellschaft für Technische Überwachung (GTÜ)
Zugkugel-Kuppllungen für Anhänger werden nach DIN 74058 bzw. ISO 1103 mit einer Höhe von 430 ± 35 mm gebaut

translation:

"When the vehicle is loaded, the coupling ball of the hitch must be at a height of 350 to 420 millimeters from the ground," says Thomas Caasmann from the Society for Technical Monitoring (GTÜ).
Ball couplings for trailers are built according to DIN 74058 or ISO 1103 with a height of 430 ± 35 mm

So we have a standard in Germany that should be met when Ineos is approved!?
i just measured the height of the ball on my jimny.
upper edge 48 cm 😩😳

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
I need to ensure that the weight of the Grenadier is within the floor loading specs for the cantilevered floor of the carport. Are there any specs which show the F&R axle loadings for the vehicle at kerb weight?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:52 AM
Reaction score
This is bespoke to my vehicle but the sort of thing you are looking for?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is an E Mark on the towing hitch what are we supposed to believe cant get a definitive answer out of Ineos.
View attachment 7805397
Did you get any further with Ineos.

I've noticed that sticker states S=350kg but there's another sticker (further to the right) that states 301kg:
WP_20230428_025.jpg

And the CoC also references 301kg at item 19.:
WP_20230428_006.jpg

But 350kg at item 45.1:
IMG_20230428_204153.jpg

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

hopefulkiwi

Reservation Holder
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
Late to the party here. I dont really tow much at all but i have a towbar for the occasinal trailer hire for rubbish disposal or furniture moving or maybe a bike rack. On my Toyota fortuner also out in a 2 inch "hitch" with 10000 lb hook when i go 4wd .For that reason alone I am thinking i will not get the Ineos "tow pack". However i wonder if you do not get the ineos tow pack what is there to get your self a towing solution. For m that will be a 2 in receiver with a 1/78 ball(or a convertible 1-7/8 to 50mm ball) and at least a 7 pin trailer plug. Does anone know what comes if you do not option the "tow pack" I am going to ask Ineos

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:52 PM
Reaction score
Late to the party here. I dont really tow much at all but i have a towbar for the occasinal trailer hire for rubbish disposal or furniture moving or maybe a bike rack. On my Toyota fortuner also out in a 2 inch "hitch" with 10000 lb hook when i go 4wd .For that reason alone I am thinking i will not get the Ineos "tow pack". However i wonder if you do not get the ineos tow pack what is there to get your self a towing solution. For m that will be a 2 in receiver with a 1/78 ball(or a convertible 1-7/8 to 50mm ball) and at least a 7 pin trailer plug. Does anone know what comes if you do not option the "tow pack" I am going to ask Ineos
There isn't anything on the market now that suits the Grenadier other than the factory unit.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep I’m thinking you need to commit to that, or not tow unfortunately.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
I don't know how I did it.
I forgot to spec the receiver hitch on a $90.000.00 USD vehicle.
Now my order is in, and I don't know what to do about it.
The call desk said you cannot change that unless you cancel your order, and then reorder without any of the protections conferred with a day 1 deposit.

My great fear is that the IG has "Tow mode" (like my other vehicles) that uses engine braking and different shift points for the transmission. And you wouldn't get that without ordering the receiver. My Jeep has about a dozen upgrades within it's tow package. Radiator, trans cooler, hitch, trans shift point changes, oil cooler,
engine braking, etc.
It has never been very clear to me what exactly you get with the receiver hitch package.

I plan to tow a big trailer 5000lbs or so, through the Rockies in 2024. My trailer has electric brakes, and an equalizing hitch.
I don't want any surprises. I already have been researching the addition of a trailer brake controller, and in so doing, realized I overlooked the receiver. Doh

Anyone got any ideas?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know how I did it.
I forgot to spec the receiver hitch on a $90.000.00 USD vehicle.
Now my order is in, and I don't know what to do about it.
The call desk said you cannot change that unless you cancel your order, and then reorder without any of the protections conferred with a day 1 deposit.

My great fear is that the IG has "Tow mode" (like my other vehicles) that uses engine braking and different shift points for the transmission. And you wouldn't get that without ordering the receiver. My Jeep has about a dozen upgrades within it's tow package. Radiator, trans cooler, hitch, trans shift point changes, oil cooler,
engine braking, etc.
It has never been very clear to me what exactly you get with the receiver hitch package.

I plan to tow a big trailer 5000lbs or so, through the Rockies in 2024. My trailer has electric brakes, and an equalizing hitch.
I don't want any surprises. I already have been researching the addition of a trailer brake controller, and in so doing, realized I overlooked the receiver. Doh

Anyone got any ideas?
Go back to your dealer and slap the stupid out of him.
Of course you can change it before it goes into production.
I ordered mine on 21st July 2022 and made changes in December 2022.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
I have no dealer.
US dealers mid country won't be announced until the 28th. So, there's no one to call.
I always wonder how much they get for doing nothing for the pre-ordered online sales customers. Must be a flat fee like GM-S.

I placed my order last Tuesday, and it just updated as accepted today.
I checked the configurator and found the $900.00 difference that confirmed I forgot the damned hitch!
I'm more concerned about what comes with the receiver.
If it's just a bolt in part, I won't care.
If it's 20 things, I'll be bummed.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have no dealer.
US dealers mid country won't be announced until the 28th. So, there's no one to call.
I always wonder how much they get for doing nothing for the pre-ordered online sales customers. Must be a flat fee like GM-S.

I placed my order last Tuesday, and it just updated as accepted today.
I checked the configurator and found the $900.00 difference that confirmed I forgot the damned hitch!
I'm more concerned about what comes with the receiver.
If it's just a bolt in part, I won't care.
If it's 20 things, I'll be bummed.
The wiring and switch.
As you said lots of vehicles get changes to gearboxes, cooling, engine mapping etc.
It doesn't look like Grenadier gets any of that.
Probably suspension changes though.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Over here it was possible to change spec up to the point of contact signing / production. Email customer service with your situation. I’m sure they can sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom