The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Electrics & Towing Socket Wiring

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
So I was expecting to see something like this as standard:
13-PIN-600x413.jpg

But I appear to be missing any terminals in 13, 5 & 6.

Additionally, my permanent live is in position 7.

Reactions: PBD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In response to @PBD :

"Hi all, anyone towed a caravan yet with their Grenny?
I am just on a trip with mine and am sure the power feeds for the fridge and battery are not working. I specifically asked when ordering the tow package if it fully wired the 13 pin plug to include these power feeds and the answer was yes.
I don’t have my meter’s with me, whilst I’m away, any chance one of you guys with the towing pack options checking yours out please. I know it should only work when the alternator is providing the power, but I seem to have nothing.
Thanks from sunny Shropshire. 😎"

Position 10 - fridge - not live with or without engine running or main overhead power switch on.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If it was charging without the ignition on then it's the right pin 9 🤣 and 13 for that pins earth
10 for ignition live eg fridge with 11 earth,

My CTEK charger to towing plug adaptor runs live through position 7 and earth through position 3.

I may have my orientation mixed up???

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score

My CTEK charger to towing plug adaptor runs live through position 7 and earth through position 3.

I may have my orientation mixed up???
On an aside, and you may have answered this in another thread, do you have any power to your 'Nato' two pin plug, I read somewhere some people had no power at all?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On an aside, and you may have answered this in another thread, do you have any power to your 'Nato' two pin plug, I read somewhere some people had no power at all?

No, I don't - something I'm unhappy about as everyone from Ineos appears to be OK with not telling us this!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So on further reflection - instead of missing wires in 13, 5 & 6, it may be 10, 11 & 12 - which would explain why it doesn't matter if your engine is running or not there's not going to be power to your fridge.

Did I miss the bit that explained that the 13 pin socket would only be wired as a 10 pin?

WP_20230604_003.jpg

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7814787

Are you sure you’re looking at it the right way round? Position 7 is opposite position 9 which should be permanent live? 5 is opposite 11, 13 opposite 12.. If you’re looking at a diagram of the socket as opposed to the plug… or from the rear as pooosed to the front everything will be backwards..

Edit, just saw your last post..

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I was a bit slow... 😴

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7814787

You're looking at it in reverse image, you are 10, 11 and 12 missing. The fridge and the corresponding earth. 12 is often referred to as the data pin and often omitted. This explains the fridge, ignition live not working. I wonder if it is something to do with an auxiliary battery.

Sorry responsed before read the latter threads. Would be interesting to see a socket from someone that doesn't have an auxiliary battery though

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So on further reflection - instead of missing wires in 13, 5 & 6, it may be 10, 11 & 12 - which would explain why it doesn't matter if your engine is running or not there's not going to be power to your fridge.

Did I miss the bit that explained that the 13 pin socket would only be wired as a 10 pin?

View attachment 7814797
Yes
I would assume that the termination chart would be from the back of the lug for use when terminating the wires.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7814797
Thanks for the image, I'll have to source the pins as will others I suspect. Is there a brand and/or model number by chance on the socket?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
UPDATE
Still on site so I thought I would do a standing test using the caravan 12v supply meter once the mains disconnected to the caravan. 2000rpm and the voltage to the caravan battery at 14.5v, so that’s working. However the fridge is still showing it is not getting a 12v supply (blue light flashing). System works fine when connected to our Disco 4, so fridge is ok.
Conclusion: Ineos have not wired my 13 pin plug correctly or just have not wired power to the pin that powers the fridge at all😟

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
UPDATE
Conclusion
: Ineos have not wired my 13 pin plug correctly or just have not wired power to the pin that powers the fridge at all😟
Have you just looked into the socket? It's pretty obvious in mine that the 3 pins are missing the physical metal connectors (photo above).

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7814797
Just checked the plug on mine and it is exactly the same as yours, only 10 pins used. All the lights work correctly so the must have used different positions to the standard ones on the maypole guide. Will contact JT Hughes an see what they say.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just checked the plug on mine and it is exactly the same as yours, only 10 pins used. All the lights work correctly so the must have used different positions to the standard ones on the maypole guide. Will contact JT Hughes an see what they say.
No I just misread the wording/orientation ~ Maypole (and it seems most if not all diagrams) show it from the rear side of the socket, whilst most owners will only ever look at it from the front or plug side.

It's wired identical just missing 3 pins.

I don't know how that matches up with others experiences of ordering 13 pin towing electrics with vehicles. My old Defender has all 13 pins wired, but I've never needed the fridge pin before.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's odd and annoying. I ordered the tow ball & electrics for when we get a caravan next year. This would surely be classed as a typical use case!

Back
Top Bottom