The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tool kit

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
I love these here
When I installed the double battery system in the Defender (T-Max by the way) I couldn’t get the screw nuts with the ratchet as there was no room at all. Those open-end wrenches with an integrated ratchet from Wera have been the solution.
There are cheaper ones but hardly better as far as I know
1670914163759.png1670914195206.png1670914224757.png

Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
I love these here
When I installed the double battery system in the Defender (T-Max by the way) I couldn’t get the screw nuts with the ratchet as there was no room at all. Those open-end wrenches with an integrated ratchet from Wera have been the solution.
View attachment 7797726View attachment 7797727View attachment 7797728
I used brass butterfly nuts from the LR parts catalogue you don't need spanners fingers will do.Have Wera for tight things.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
I've still got around 75% of the toolkit I bought for my first car as a student in 1980. I've hit them with hammers and used vice grips on the sockets yet somehow they still give yeoman service.
The 25% missing has been lent or lost - not broken.
In recent years I've sought out miscellaneous mechanic's tools from industrial antique shops and the like.
As I found with blacksmith's tools , these vintage items get snapped up for the mantlepieces in domestic warehouse conversions.
Which is a waste of fit for purpose.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about them breaking. But the fits are an issue. With wrenches and nuts, precision seems to be more difficult to achieve than durability - except with some ratchets.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I love these here
View attachment 7797726View attachment 7797727View attachment 7797728
Very good choice! (y)

Those open-end wrenches with an integrated ratchet from Wera have been the solution.

I assume the open ends are not ratches? I'd otherwise have to think again about my buy two years ago (which however is a pleasure to work with):

hazet.jpg

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The one Vera showed was in a prototype vehicle and may have nothing to do with the real one, which I haven't seen anything on.
I assumed most buyers would already have, or will put together, their own tool kit.

Hello guys ,

Anyone have proper pictures of the toolkit ? Could not see much on christian and Vera's video . I would gladly pay for a stahlwille proper toolkit made just for the grenadier . my nissan patrol came with a complete tool kit , included all the tools needed for maintenance tasks (not just a lug nut socket )

Thoughts ?

:)
I believe in not over-tooling a vehicle; initially, being reliant on build quality. We are buying a new unit. To my LC 200, I added a scissor lift ... then I never used it! It is still sealed in its box!
The LC diesel fuel filter, when I tried to change that - the second battery meant I could not get my hand in any way ... taking everything means a trailer! I think we will be surprised by how brilliant our vehicles will be. The Grenadier does have a lovely red bottle jack.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bought my 1/2 & 1/4 full socket sets at a “Del Boy” type auction in 1971. I still have them, though they were cheap and nasty and over the years I have had to replace all the ratchets then the sockets too as they failed, just like Trigger’s road sweeping brooms!😂😂

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe in not over-tooling a vehicle; initially, being reliant on build quality. We are buying a new unit. To my LC 200, I added a scissor lift ... then I never used it! It is still sealed in its box!
The LC diesel fuel filter, when I tried to change that - the second battery meant I could not get my hand in any way ... taking everything means a trailer! I think we will be surprised by how brilliant our vehicles will be. The Grenadier does have a lovely red bottle jack.
Agreed. I think they will be brilliant, well engineered and reliable vehicles. But I would always take a tool kit on my travels. I was in the Boy Scouts “ Be Prepared”. I think it will be especially important to carry any tools that are specific to Grenadiers. Maybe over sized spanner’s for instance, for when getting a service and check over in some back street garage in the middle of no-where. Overseen myself of course. 👍

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
One of my favourite toolkits is the one from the Mercedes W198 gullwing
Who doesn't need a copper hammer and prestressing wedges with chain (whatever that does)
I will add , I don't own a $$$$ W198 set, but I do have a few of the quality tools for my W108s.

Attachments

• W198 tools.png
    W198 tools.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 41

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bought my 1/2 & 1/4 full socket sets at a “Del Boy” type auction in 1971. I still have them, though they were cheap and nasty and over the years I have had to replace all the ratchets then the sockets too as they failed, just like Trigger’s road sweeping brooms!😂😂
Luvly Jubbly

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
Very good choice! (y)

I assume the open ends are not ratches? I'd otherwise have to think again about my buy two years ago (which however is a pleasure to work with):

View attachment 7797752

I like these better than the ones that are ratcheted at both ends, at least for an emergency kit. I've had the ratchet mechanism give out on some of mine, and if there's a ratchet at both ends it might mean no wrench in that size.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:52 PM
Reaction score
I like these better than the ones that are ratcheted at both ends, at least for an emergency kit. I've had the ratchet mechanism give out on some of mine, and if there's a ratchet at both ends it might mean no wrench in that size.
Agreed - ratchet on one end, traditional "open" at the other.

As an aside, Craftsman (a US nameplate sold by Sears for decades and now part of the Stanley group I think) made these awesome "cross force" wrenches that had a twisted flat, so that when you had to push hard, the edge of the wrench wasn't digging into your palm.

1670950524102.png

Back
Top Bottom