The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Grenadier Wave

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
I finally got chance to perform a Grenadier wave today:D:D ,saw my first other Grenny in East Herts UK on the B1368
between Hay St and Hare St (y).
About bloody time i was beginning to believe they only exist on dealers forecourts :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
I wave every 4x4 I see were I have the feeling the driver is similar minded as me.

AWo
I wave at every old Defender crossing my way, because I think they are very likely cut from the right cloth.

And if it's not an old Defender, if I think the driver is in some way similarly to me, then I'll do it as well. It could be a 4x4, but it could also be an old VW bus or some other vehicle.

It's not the car that connects you, it's the mindset.

There are just some key attributes there that I can't describe - but I just see them.

In June, I was approached by an old Triumph convertible. At the wheel was a damn pretty women of maybe 35. She already started waving at me like crazy when she was still 100 meters away. I don't know why. But I guess she knew the Grenadier and maybe she or her better half had ordered one and was waiting for delivery.

Of course I waved back ;-)

I almost twisted my neck in the process.
missing word

Last edited:

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
Not really. It's a Defender wave, not a Grenadier.

I have a 2012 90 and I won't be waving at anyone if I'm not in it or another Defender.

I've been reading this forums with interest since I pre-ordered 10 months ago, but cancelling and ordering
a Cyber Truck instead.

I wish Grenadier owners all the best, if I was to make one observation here, I'm not sure I've seen a forum so full of entitled people and I'd rather remain associated with the Defender crew. It seems the Grenadier needs a special owner.

I do hope the vehicle comes good, but it's simply not worth the risk at this stage.
The issues are of no consequence and will be resolved by Ineos, you are missing out on a awesome vehicle!

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
I wave at every old Defender crossing my way, because I think they are very likely cut from the right cloth.

And if it's not an old Defender, if I think the driver is in some way similarly to me, then I'll do it as well. It could be a 4x4, but it could also be an old VW bus or some other vehicle.

It's not the car that connects you, it's the mindset.

There are just some key attributes there that I can't describe - but I just see them.

In June, I was approached by an old Triumph convertible. At the wheel was a damn pretty women of maybe 35. She already started waving at like crazy when she was still 100 meters away. I don't know why. But I guess she knew the Grenadier and maybe she or her better half had ordered one and was waiting for delivery.

Of course I waved back ;-)

I almost twisted my neck in the process.
Fully agreed about the midset!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I run a Grenadier and a proper Defender, a 2005 TD5 90.
There have been a few comments on the etiquette of waving/acknowledging old Defenders. I would like to see this practice becoming the norm, both vehicles are proper off roaders and I reckon that we all have much in common.
From now, I will be waving/acknowledging all proper old Defenders as well of course the Grenadiers!
Anyone else agree?
Regards,
John
@JohnHeagney I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I will stick to normal hand raising. Showing the V-sign with the backhand forward can lead to misinterpretation at a distance and have the opposite effect.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
@JohnHeagney I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I will stick to normal hand raising. Showing the V-sign with the backhand forward can lead to misinterpretation at a distance and have the opposite effect.
Yes it's a touch risky!
The farmer's finger is enough for me.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
No choice for me... I think that for a while in my Island I'll be the only one... May be this summer on the Dolomites, I'll see which kind of reaction I'll encounter.
Once in a time, I was used to the Porsche Flash, now with a Cayenne and a Macan on every turn, it would be a nonsense, and aircooled on the road are becoming so infrequent...

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:37 PM
Reaction score
It's the mindset. Had to give the V hand wave to this one. DaBullVW Micro Pickup.jpg

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely agree waving with/back to ‘real’ defenders feels right, and the mindset is the point.

but it’s not a ‘defender’ wave at all; there used to be many cars whose drivers would wave to each other. They were, in my experience cars that all shared some form of joy in use, and the wave is a shared moment. From my past it included old Fiat 500s, Mini Mokes, and old vw kombi vans. There’d be many others. No one owns friendliness.

In rural australia it is still common to acknowledge every car you pass on back roads. There’s an element of co-operation in sharing a narrow road, and you often vaguely know everyone, or they think they might, whatever, it’s just a nice human thing to acknowledge the people, not just see ‘a car’.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely agree waving with/back to ‘real’ defenders feels right, and the mindset is the point.

but it’s not a ‘defender’ wave at all; there used to be many cars whose drivers would wave to each other. They were, in my experience cars that all shared some form of joy in use, and the wave is a shared moment. From my past it included old Fiat 500s, Mini Mokes, and old vw kombi vans. There’d be many others. No one owns friendliness.

In rural australia it is still common to acknowledge every car you pass on back roads. There’s an element of co-operation in sharing a narrow road, and you often vaguely know everyone, or they think they might, whatever, it’s just a nice human thing to acknowledge the people, not just see ‘a car’.
Today in stopped traffic, a young Defender tray back owner said it looks great how is it...brilliant I love it was my answer...then in the village, a disco owner had his arm out of the car window with his thumb up as we passed...so it is going to be whatever happens no rules just a cheerful moment, to say the least...happy motoring ;)

Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
The issues are of no consequence and will be resolved by Ineos, you are missing out on a awesome vehicle!
Not really, I've been using Defenders in either the standard Perentie build, the SRV or LRPV for 25 years. And love my 2012 90.

Finally test drove the Grenadier yesterday, to validate my decision and whilst a comfortable drive, it lacks soul.

Took it back to the Dealer and went straight to Toyota to put a deposit down on the 2024 Prado.

I do wish everyone the best, I so wanted to be on the journey, but not for $130k +.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not really, I've been using Defenders in either the standard Perentie build, the SRV or LRPV for 25 years. And love my 2012 90.

Finally test drove the Grenadier yesterday, to validate my decision and whilst a comfortable drive, it lacks soul.

Took it back to the Dealer and went straight to Toyota to put a deposit down on the 2024 Prado.

I do wish everyone the best, I so wanted to be on the journey, but not for $130k +.
What does "lacking soul" mean? Do vehicles have a soul?... Do Toyota Prados in particular have a soul?... A soul isn't listed on the spec sheet... This could become a "spirited" debate...🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom