The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Grenadier Wave

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
I wonder if the Old Defender people wave at the New Defender...I would say not...I am in that group but I would wave if they waved at me in my Series or Grenadier just out of courtesy and hope to recognize them to wave first next time...I live in a small village so that is possible...I also think that there is something to be said of the soul or feeling that you have over time with an object that gives you pleasure...whether it be the rolling on the road or slicing through the ocean or the purr of the engine[diesel]...overtime you can crave for it...like the cornering on the motorbike or carving a wave on the surfboard...I have boards that I won't sell and one that I fell in love with that I haven't ridden...all hand made...I believe that anything manhandled in the making has something special and individual about it and not perfect...from the beginning, the Grenadier was scribed on paper by hand and will be touched in some ways till her end...maybe I am not right for all but certainly for me...happy motoring ;)
I don't.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
So 7 completed days of driving my Gren.

Passed 5/6 old defenders - I lifted 2 fingers at all. 3/4 just stared, 1 waved (a lady)

Passed no Grenadiers.

I passed 2 Grenadiers on my bicycle but I didn't wave!

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
A couple of weeks into my (hopefully lifelong) Grenadier adventure. I live in a pretty 4x4 heavy area, and being curious about waving etiquette I’ve been watching carefully and being ready to wave at anyone and everyone. I’ve not been brave enough to wave first. So far:
- zero other Grenadiers seen on the road (yet)
- zero waves from new defenders (which isn’t really a defender in my mind…)
- shared waves with about 1 in every 5 classic defenders

I feel like most defender drivers feel they have their own club, but at least some do extend membership to grenadiers.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
A couple of weeks into my (hopefully lifelong) Grenadier adventure. I live in a pretty 4x4 heavy area, and being curious about waving etiquette I’ve been watching carefully and being ready to wave at anyone and everyone. I’ve not been brave enough to wave first. So far:
- zero other Grenadiers seen on the road (yet)
- zero waves from new defenders (which isn’t really a defender in my mind…)
- shared waves with about 1 in every 5 classic defenders

I feel like most defender drivers feel they have their own club, but at least some do extend membership to grenadiers.
Same here in my neck of the woods... a very 4x4 area and the waves from other Grens are spontaneous...but have had some old D boys give me a wave...so I now just raise the index or thumb in anticipation...fortunately the Land Rover Owners club I am involved in accepts all vehicles and we have a few Grens coming in...Yes, some of the classic lads are thinking as you said...we had a Land Rover 75 year bash and a Gren came out from one of the nearby Agents and was accepted very well...happy times ahead (y)

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Same here in my neck of the woods... a very 4x4 area and the waves from other Grens are spontaneous...but have had some old D boys give me a wave...so I now just raise the index or thumb in anticipation...fortunately the Land Rover Owners club I am involved in accepts all vehicles and we have a few Grens coming in...Yes, some of the classic lads are thinking as you said...we had a Land Rover 75 year bash and a Gren came out from one of the nearby Agents and was accepted very well...happy times ahead (y)
I will wave to both as I am a both a defender and Grenadier owner.

But I reckon there will be plenty defender purist who won’t want a bar of the Grenadier.

But when you consider that the Grenadier was born out of the demise of the real defender I think it’s worth a wave.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
I give a thumbs up with my right hand over the steering wheel, but still holding the wheel cause it's safe and all! The only other Gren driver did a 4- finger raise over the wheel as a safe wave and we both did a nod!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will wave to both as I am a both a defender and Grenadier owner.

But I reckon there will be plenty defender purist who won’t want a bar of the Grenadier.

But when you consider that the Grenadier was born out of the demise of the real defender I think it’s worth a wave.
I've had several spontaneous waves from Disco D3/4 drivers!...which I returned with a wave and a grin.. . :)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought we were going to do a Churchill two finger “V” and short report from the “toot” horn…
"toot" . only effective passing through the village at slow speed :cool:
At highway "closing" speed across a wide median strip one needs to be hyper vigilant and "primed"!
Busy arterial roads with a single white line between one and oncoming oblivion require even more "finesse"🫣:unsure:

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
It doesn’t work with colours.
I honked and waved at a Britannia blue IG today in Brisbane in my wife’s dark blue X3 and was ignored. 😉
Was probably a previous Disco/Range Rover owner (or worse 🤔)

Blissfully ignorant of the Defender owners tradition.

Back
Top Bottom