The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Summary of Reviews

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
Of course JMO....I have read/watched most of the reviews:

As a 4x4: 8/10

As a SUV: 7/10 or 3.5/5

Some likely minor issues to be worked out.
RHD foot room issue varies from non issue to very annoying.
On road steering feel depends on your experience/expectation. For those of use coming from Jeep Wranglers/Original Defenders it seems much better.
Australian/US/African reviewers seem more positive than UK reviewers.

edit: added African to list of reviewers above.

Last edited:

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:37 PM
Reaction score
Of course JMO....I have read/watched most of the reviews:

As a 4x4: 8/10

As a SUV: 7/10 or 3.5/5

Some likely minor issues to be worked out.
RHD foot room issue varies from non issue to very annoying.
On road steering feel depends on your experience/expectation. For those of use coming from Jeep Wranglers/Original Defenders it seems much better.
Australian/US reviewers seem more positive than UK reviewers.
Most UK reviewers are used to driving kia sorentos and have no experience offroad driving besides at these press events. It seems the Aussie and American journos are more experienced Thus never went in with the idea it would feel like a lotus

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:37 PM
Reaction score
Interesting that the African reviewer never even mentioned the steering. I haven’t owned a vehicle with a functional rear view mirror for 15 years, all have had solid opaque rear bodies so RVM visibility really doesn’t bother me. Wing mirrors are far more important anyway..I’ll be interested to see what the windscreen wiper issue is like, hopefully not too bad. Same goes for the footwell issue.
I guess that most of the UK reviewers are coming at this from a ‘car’ oriented perspective and in that case its hardly surprising that they aren’t that keen. Many of the things that they complain that the grenadier lacks are things I definitely don’t want:
Auto wipers, had them on several cars (wife’s) and yes they are great when it really rains but pretty useless in drizzle, either shuddering across a barely wet screen, or leaving it so late that you end up reaching for the wash wipe. In Scotland we get a lot of drizzle.
Rack and pinion steering - no thanks.
Keyless entry - no thanks
keyless start - no thanks
I’d happily do away with the immobiliser too.
I want a SIMPLE vehicle, if I wanted tons of electrics to go wrong I’d get a defender.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
The Spanish review is also quite good, long, detailed, clear, the guy is really very impressed:
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/prueba-spanish-review-spain.12411064/
But he is probably not the real 4X4 expert, because he never drove in deep water :rolleyes:
Some very good pictures, one of the Grenadiers stuck!
And by the way, for those of you who speak Spanish: he speaks in a very clear and slow manner.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@BD1 hm I never considered the IG as a "SUV".
The MB GLK 250 I used as company car was classified in Germany as a passenger car type station wagon /estate. The only remarkable entry was number of axles and driven axles.. both 2 ..
The Discovery Sport is explicitly named as literally translated "offroad vehicle for passenger transportation". In German "Geländewagen zur Personenbeförderung" in official papers. Seeing the Grenadier - all attributes are reduced to the necessary in the meaning of what is a SUV.
Some credit to most journos - they have lost anything in skill and knowledge what an offroader means.
Most of them more focused on electrics, sportscars and family vans.
Also what is now marketed as SUV like this mini vehicles from Ford or so Kuga, whatsoever just mimic some attributes - not even close to be able offroading.. eventually a gravel road with some potholes. (For that an ORV is not required at all)
However some have learned by this test ride where the true capability of IG is.. and learned why the steering is designed exactly so.

There will be in the next release perhaps some redesign, some more features - so what.. there will always be a new release.. - but this IG is the original one.

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't consider it an SUV either.....but if the reviewer is rating it as an SUV vs 4x4 the ratings are lower. I was just summarizing (IMO) all the various reviews from how I perceived they are rating the IG.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't consider it an SUV either.....but if the reviewer is rating it as an SUV vs 4x4 the ratings are lower. I was just summarizing (IMO) all the various reviews from how I perceived they are rating the IG.
Indeed! So - and in a way good for buyers rating.. - If a potential buyer wants an SUV the IG is probably a bad choice.
As a 4x4 - ( this is something what I "doubt" a 4by4 can be a Subaru, a Mercedes Benz 4 matic, even a Porsche.. )
.. all wheel drive.. if Ineos is classified as a 4x4 then its a good rating - in particular when compared to a Porsche or a 5 Series BMW X Drive..

At the very end - its all opinions with more or less preoccupation.
At the end the only true opinion will be owners rating reporting daily business experience. - But that will take some time.
I ordered it because it is not a SUV.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
The Spanish review is also quite good, long, detailed, clear, the guy is really very impressed:
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/prueba-spanish-review-spain.12411064/
But he is probably not the real 4X4 expert, because he never drove in deep water :rolleyes:
Some very good pictures, one of the Grenadiers stuck!
And by the way, for those of you who speak Spanish: he speaks in a very clear and slow manner.
The vehicle that was stuck, had slipped off a very straight wide section of track.
That screams of driver inattention and poor driving.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Maybe this helps explain why the reviewers from different countries have limited 4WD experience

Attachments

• 1675879456746.png
    1675879456746.png
    551.5 KB · Views: 131

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm actually positively surprised by the good tests, since the testers have hardly had their hands on a "real" off-road vehicle lately. I can live with the few errors they found, especially since I'm getting an LHD 😜👍🤣.
I'll think about the "problem" with the steering when the car is finally here, maybe you can install a steering damper there. exactly the same with the wipers, maybe some old school manual work to get the problem under control

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'd like to point you to the verdict of the Spanish review from Diariomotor. It's a really fair summary.

Agree! I would edit my first post if I could to add Spanish to the list with Aussie/US/African reviewers. Thanks for pointing this out. I was ignoring because I don't know Spanish.
This was the most comprehensive and best video review so far. He compared to competitors and did a nice walk around inside and out that others did not do. And he did more detailed off road. Very good even watching with google captions. And he explained his opinion criteria.....i.e 4x4 vs SUV. I wish the other reviews in English were this detailed.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agree! I would edit my first post if I could to add Spanish to the list with Aussie/US/African reviewers. Thanks for pointing this out. I was ignoring because I don't know Spanish.
This was the most comprehensive and best video review so far. He compared to competitors and did a nice walk around inside and out that others did not do. And he did more detailed off road. Very good even watching with google captions. And he explained his opinion criteria.....i.e 4x4 vs SUV. I wish the other reviews in English were this detailed.
And he has a passion for what he does

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
25 hours to edit a post after creating. After that time ask a moderator ;)

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The vehicle that was stuck, had slipped off a very straight wide section of track.
That screams of driver inattention and poor driving.
I know, I told my wife about the vehicle that was stuck. She said "bad publicity for the Grenadier". I answered "bad driving".

It could even be a good driver who was distracted by "something" (looking at some feature, etc.). It wasn't a rally, it was "discovering a new car and it's features".

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:37 AM
Reaction score
Maybe this helps explain why the reviewers from different countries have limited 4WD experience

Yes DaveB but there are millions of Australians about to have their monthly mortgages tripled as their fixed rate loans mature - watch new car sales sink like a stone after Q2 2023

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score

Very interesting article and map. In the US, the full-size pickup is king and it has been for a very long time and I don't see that changing (even with electrification being jammed down our throats). The term SUV is an interesting one, and one that I don't see as either bad or good, but certainly overused. In conversation I would use the term SUV to describe the IG because here people do not (maybe they once did) use the term 4x4 or 4-wheel-drive to identify a vehicle. I believe this is for many reasons, but the common application of "AWD" or 4-wheel-drive decals to everything from Subarus to F150s to Kias and Hondas, has diluted the term.

There was a time here when the SUV was king and every manufacturer wanted something to offer, but then the gas prices shot up back in the early 2000s and all of a sudden car companies were abandoning ship, or softening and rebranding things as "crossover vehicles." Not sure what that ever meant, but I think for the typical American, if it's not a "car" (ie Camry) or a pickup truck (ie F150), it's an SUV, and in that sense the IG is an SUV over here. Should it be in the same category as a Chevy Trax? Or Lexus? Or Hummer? I'm not sure, but that's the category into which it will be placed.

Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems with the INEOS Brochure USA (English) 2023-02-08 ?
Downloaded, it is a 69+ Mb and seems to be loading more data every time I click on a new page. Most important the small text on the pages seems to be corrupted, looking like many layers of overlapping letters and so is illegible

Back
Top Bottom