The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Study - fixed solar panel fitted to solar inputs of CTEK D250SE

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
THE TASK
I want to observe how the fixed solar panel on the Rhino Roofrack charges the Grenadier’s main and aux battery through the solar inputs on the CTEK D250SE.

THE GRENADIER'S SETUP
  1. 2023 AU Spec 2 Seater utility Wagon, Deisel Trailmaster.
  2. CTEK D250SE mated with the CTEK 120S.
  3. Kings 160W Solar fixed to the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform, then plugged into the solar inputs on the D250SE. Maximum charge rate in good sunlight is just over 9 amps. WARNING: newer models of the Kings 160W solar panel are now rated at 23.37 volts exceeding the specs of the CTEK250SE (the older panel I used was rated at 22.87 volts).
  4. El cheapo BLE Battery Monitor fitted to the Main and Aux battery.
DAY 1 DATA – FROM THE BLE GRAPH
The first graph is from the BLE Battery monitor from the main battery for 24 April 2024. The second graph is from the aux battery on the same day. I hope to make observations over time to get a better understating of what impact the solar panel is having. Initial observations:
  1. There was cloud cover before 11am, so the panel did not start working until after that time. Sun gone by 5pm.
  2. You can see drain on the main battery when starting the car.
  3. Most of the highest peaks is when the car was being driven, the solar panel struggles to charge over 14 volts.
  4. It appears twice that day, the aux battery assisted with the cranking on start up, but that may not be so. I think it was the Travel Buddy when the car was turned off; I was doing some oven testing (including with the motor off). The maker says the oven has a 10 amp draw. The Travel Buddy's Anderson circuit comes direct from the aux battery (not a busbar).
  5. The voltage drop below 13 volts after 1:15pm, on both graphs, was when I stopped the car and left the Travel Buddy on for about 20 minutes.
  6. If the sun is out, the solar panel is probably going to cover the fridge drain and charge the battery in daylight hours.
  7. No need to trickle charge, if the car is in the sun.
  8. The solar charge to the main battery, when the car is stopped, appears to give more than a trickle charge (but it is still early days).
MAIN BATTERY
Main24APR2024.jpg

AUX BATTERY
Aux24APR2024.jpg

DAY 2 DATA – FROM THE BLE GRAPH

MAIN BATTERY
Main24APR2024.jpg

AUX BATTERY
Aux24APR2024.jpg

The Day 2 data confirms the D250SE is giving more than a trickle charge during the daylight to the main battery.

After the sun goes, the nighttime parasitic drains start - you can see that on the Day 1 data for the aux battery after 10pm, much less obvious on the main battery graph. Still very early days, the BLE also gives a 7 day and 30 graph.

MAIN BATTERY
26APR2024MAIN.jpeg

AUX BATTERY
26APR2024AUX.jpeg

DAY 3 DATA – FROM THE BLE GRAPH

MAIN BATTERY
27APR2024MAIN.jpeg

AUX BATTERY
27APR2024AUX.jpeg

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
WEEK 1 - MAIN BATTERY
Main 7 days1.jpeg

WEEK 1 - AUX BATTERY
Aux7 days1.jpeg

7 day average graph, then later 30 day graph.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HAVING A SOLAR PANEL AND NOT HAVING IT
A 7 day graph of the aux battery voltage before and after I added the CTEK D250SE and solar panel. Most of the highest voltage peaks is when the car was being driven, the solar panel will not realistically charge over 14 volts.

The big voltage drop on the second graph on April 21 is my Start/Stop not working properly. It turns the car off and then immediately restarts it - it appears in these cases the main and the aux are both used to re-start the car. The only load I have seen a battery voltage drop like this was the car starting.

The other obvious point is all the extra power going into the battery over the day via the solar panel - if the sun is out.

AUX BATTERY WITH NO SOLAR
AUX 7Day No Solar.jpeg

AUX BATTERY WITH SOLAR
AUX 7Day Solar.jpeg

Last edited:

Frosty

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
Thx for posting. Please continue updating us on your longer term observations.

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
I am attempting to locate the wiring for the roof outlets, which I believe are beneath the rear seat battery compartment. I would like to rewire one of the roof outlets to connect to a solar battery controller, allowing me to plug a solar panel into that specific outlet on the roof. I searched the forum but had no luck. I'm confident someone on the forum knows the locations. Any help is appreciated, and pictures would be most helpful.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Look for the aux power fuse box and follow the link below, for a detailed breakdown on the fuse box. Picture is from a 2 seater, which do not have the plastic covers 5 seaters have over the batteries.
centre-fuse-box-wide-view-jpg.7843054

More details here.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
First 7 day graphs for the main and aux battery posted above, covering 27 April to 3 May.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am attempting to locate the wiring for the roof outlets, which I believe are beneath the rear seat battery compartment. I would like to rewire one of the roof outlets to connect to a solar battery controller, allowing me to plug a solar panel into that specific outlet on the roof. I searched the forum but had no luck. I'm confident someone on the forum knows the locations. Any help is appreciated, and pictures would be most helpful.
Below might be helpful. For mine I removed the cables/pins out of one of the roof DTP plugs and replaced the cable with a little more heavy duty connected direct to the solar controller. If I had known a plug/socket wasn't far away within the headlining as in the below link, I would most likely have used that connection. (thanks Jean et al)

Back
Top Bottom