The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering stabilizer bar

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi grnamin, That is a nice video showing the differences. I would say the Fox Steering Stabilizer is a
significant improvement. Would love to get you input on how it performs off road. DaBull

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
Hi grnamin, That is a nice video showing the differences. I would say the Fox Steering Stabilizer is a
significant improvement. Would love to get you input on how it performs off road. DaBull
Thank you, @DaBull. I'm planning on a day trip to a nearby OHV park in the near future.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@grnamin steering at the beginning of his video looks to be very similar to mine, minor but constant correction. Is this similar to everyone's steering experience or is there variation from vehicle to vehicle?

@grnamin, any chance you took it for a spin with no stabilizer?

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was just at the dealer two days ago for a test drive. Drove the stock vehicle, with the stock steering. I thought it was fine, a little annoying at first, but not much different from other vehicles I've driven. I'd get used to it... but I also drove one that the dealer told me had an Old Man Emu steering stabilizer installed. It was much nicer, returned to center was much improved and I felt I could drive it single handed, if I had to. It was just a short test drive, but just based on that experience it's now high on my list of "mods". Not that I really absolutely dislike the default steering, but the Emu stabilizer felt more like what I was expecting (coming from a Wrangler JK). Have no idea how it behaves off road. The dealer did mention that they've also installed Fox stabilizers, but he thought the Emu one was the better of the two.

Did the dealer mention how they were sourcing the Old Man Emu stabilizer? Any chance they are selling them thru their parts department?

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Crap - was traveling all week, and you mean to tell me you got this done without me??? Your Grenadier will probably explode in a couple weeks. This looks pretty good - can you remind us which Fox bar you got? I don’t know if it was the adjustable one or not - one is 2something, one is 5something.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Crap - was traveling all week, and you mean to tell me you got this done without me??? Your Grenadier will probably explode in a couple weeks. This looks pretty good - can you remind us which Fox bar you got? I don’t know if it was the adjustable one or not - one is 2something, one is 5something.
:ROFLMAO: Got this one:

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So give me a couple tips - use a longer arm socket wrench, and the nuts are welded in, so only worry about the bolts and washers - is that it? Anything else? I’m taking off for Germany this weekend, so figure it will be a couple of weeks before I get to this - depending on how long it takes Agile to get it to me.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So give me a couple tips - use a longer arm socket wrench, and the nuts are welded in, so only worry about the bolts and washers - is that it? Anything else? I’m taking off for Germany this weekend, so figure it will be a couple of weeks before I get to this - depending on how long it takes Agile to get it to me.
I'm not sure if everyone's Grenadier has both nuts welded in. The Agile instructions stated that the passenger side nut required just one 18mm socket wrench and the driver's side needed two 21mm sockets. I only needed one socket for the latter. The instructions also said that the driver's side bracket might need to be spread apart to accommodate the stabilizer and two washers. In my case, they fit loosely. Each bolt has a different torque spec in the instructions. It's easier to install the driver's side stabilizer end first since you'll need to align the bolt through 2 washers and the nut on the other end of the bracket. I compressed the stabilizer by hand to align the passenger side end to the nut. Instructions say to turn the steering wheel one way to align the bolt. Hope those help.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
Alignment required?

jeffmattSD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had the fox stabilizer installed last Friday by Agile Offroad. I just went in to talk to them about it and I got to driver the owner's, John's, vehicle and asked them to install it right away. I love the new feel on road, but still need to take it off road.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@grnamin steering at the beginning of his video looks to be very similar to mine, minor but constant correction. Is this similar to everyone's steering experience or is there variation from vehicle to vehicle?

@grnamin, any chance you took it for a spin with no stabilizer?
I removed my steering stabilizer today.

WOW!! What a difference!

Steering returns to center like most every other vehicle. Low-speed turning of the wheel is MUCH quicker. Three point turns greatly improved. The ability to go quickly lock to lock makes the turning circle feel smaller.
No problem steering with only one hand in parking lots and driveways. One hand steering while pulling out onto a perpendicular street, without fear of ending up on the sidewalk.
Highway tracking is improved as well, but not nearly as much improvement as low-speed.

Death wobble...
Rock solid at speeds up to 65-70 mph.
I hit a large seam in the pavement at 75-80, though and could feel it want to shimmy.
The steering wheel began quick oscillations that reduced in amplitude over a second or so until gone.
This leads me to believe that there is some static instability in the steering system, but that there is positive dynamic stability.

In summary, I'll never put the INEOS steering stabilizer back on!
I will, however; keep my speed down until I can get an OME or Fox stabilizer installed.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

WOW!! What a difference!

Steering returns to center like most every other vehicle. Low-speed turning of the wheel is MUCH quicker. Three point turns greatly improved. The ability to go quickly lock to lock makes the turning circle feel smaller.
No problem steering with only one hand in parking lots and driveways. One hand steering while pulling out onto a perpendicular street, without fear of ending up on the sidewalk.
Highway tracking is improved as well, but not nearly as much improvement as low-speed.

Death wobble...
I hit a large seam in the pavement at 75-80, though and could feel it want to shimmy.
The steering wheel began quick oscillations that reduced in amplitude over a second or so until gone.
This leads me to believe that there is some static instability in the steering system, but that there is positive dynamic stability.

I will, however; keep my speed down until I can get an OME or Fox stabilizer installed.
I kept reading expecting a punchline, but it was all true!

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I was the same, was waiting for the “however” but it never came !!

Thanks for the update @nuclearbeef, it sounds as though there could well be a big uptake on aftermarket stabilisers going forward.

Local time
Reaction score

WOW!! What a difference!

Death wobble...

Really? If true, I won't say I told you so. I'm surprised there's even a shimmy with stock tires. Maybe do an adjustable unit and tune it as low as possible.

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Really? If true, I won't say I told you so. I'm surprised there's even a shimmy with stock tires. Maybe do an adjustable unit and tune it as low as possible.

I was thinking the same. I wasn't sold on the stabilizer at first. I was probably 50/50 at first but the videos and better turning radius has me rethinking it. With my Defender I was able to back up my driveway and into my garage in one turn. With the Grenadier I think I have probably made it once in 4 months time.

I have been driving 1 handed without issue but highway speeds and bumps can be a little iffy. Of course, I have been driving 3 different vehicles with air suspension for the last 3 years so that could also be a learning curve for me.

I still haven't decided on the Agile or Owl version yet though. Probably Agile as the Owl one needs rebuilt and do not think I want to deal with that hassle.

Back
Top Bottom