The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering stabilizer bar

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
Pre-ordered on April 17. Shipped today. Arriving Tuesday next week. Hopefully will report on first-hand experience by Wednesday.
if you would try and get a feel for the steering as designed, then without a stabilizer at all and then with the Fox unit that would be a good comparable I think.

But I know that time dictates these things so don't worry if you can't, the main thing is you get the vehicle that you want to your spec. At least thats how I see things.....

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
Noticed you are in WI.
I was up at Williams Bay last weekend. Whereabouts are you?
Drove from IL NW suburbs and steering wasn't bad, or maybe I was just taking my time cruising...
Oof - probably drove right past you - was at Knauz yesterday getting my hitch receiver and then drove back to Madtown

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tried to remove the bolt that's screwed into the welded-in-place nut first, but it won't budge, even with my legs braced onto the driver side wheel. Might have some thread lock in it. I don't want to strip the threads. Should I heat it up carefully with a torch? No access to a lift so it's all ground work for me.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
I tried to remove the bolt that's screwed into the welded-in-place nut first, but it won't budge, even with my legs braced onto the driver side wheel. Might have some thread lock in it. I don't want to strip the threads. Should I heat it up carefully with a torch? No access to a lift so it's all ground work for me.
1/2" cordless impact could be your best friend for this job...

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score

Introducing the Bidwell Powerdyne PD-12003, a.k.a. 'The Minion'

1714543114651.jpg

35 ft-lbs input for 12,000 ft-lbs output. Yessir, that's almost as much torque as my favourite mother-in-law produces on a slow day.
100% inappropriate for this task, but the tool is too good not to share at every opportunity. Some clever USA manufacturing.

Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
I was just at the dealer two days ago for a test drive. Drove the stock vehicle, with the stock steering. I thought it was fine, a little annoying at first, but not much different from other vehicles I've driven. I'd get used to it... but I also drove one that the dealer told me had an Old Man Emu steering stabilizer installed. It was much nicer, returned to center was much improved and I felt I could drive it single handed, if I had to. It was just a short test drive, but just based on that experience it's now high on my list of "mods". Not that I really absolutely dislike the default steering, but the Emu stabilizer felt more like what I was expecting (coming from a Wrangler JK). Have no idea how it behaves off road. The dealer did mention that they've also installed Fox stabilizers, but he thought the Emu one was the better of the two.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bolt still wouldn't budge with cordless impact drill. It did with a longer handle ratchet wrench. Maybe the cordless loosened it a little bit. Proceeding with removing the OEM stabilizer.

Attachments

• 1000004119.jpg
    1000004119.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
Good job with longer socket handle. You’ll never budge bolts like that with a 1/4” impact driver.
I’m in the market for a 1/2” impact wrench as I’ve struggled with some nuts and bolts on the Grenadier. I had a 900mm bar on my socket wrench and could not budge the fixings on the tow hook.
Probably going with Makita to match my other kit.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Driver's side bolt partially screwed in. Just need to tighten it. Hardest part is blindly aiming (oxymoron) the bolt into the nut while aligning the second washer. Would be much easier if vehicle was on a lift.
1000004121.jpg

Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
Bolt still wouldn't budge with cordless impact drill. It did with a longer handle ratchet wrench. Maybe the cordless loosened it a little bit. Proceeding with removing the OEM stabilizer.
That 1/4" likely in inch pounds not foot pounds. Pick up a Milwaukee 1/2" for resi use if it's in the budget. You'll love it next tire rotation.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
Done! All that's left is the test drive. No red Loctite yet just in case I need to remove it. Will have comparison video up later.
View attachment 7855334
That rubber boot/ gaiter looks like it could be vulnerable to damage.
Looking forward to your thoughts and findings

Back
Top Bottom