The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Steering - lock to lock

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
thanks for the info - my x5 radius is only smaller by 3 feet so not so much difference. How long have you owned one?
I’ve owned an X5 diesel and currently own a Ineos. Trust me it’s a bit of a work out. Whatever you do don’t compare it to the X5 it’s completely different. This is a proper off roading old school truck.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
The steering is not an issue once you get used to it. The smaller diameter wheel helps with the more active technique required. You don’t turn it with one hand using the heal of your palm on the centre bottom of the wheel. It’s two hands on deck, 10 to 2 or 15 to 3, hand over hand actively as you turn (the way you should steer a car anyway).

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is also power assist correct? I'd be curious to know what a late model Land Cruiser turns L2Ln are - I'll see what I can find on the web

Last edited:

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is also power assist correct?
Yes. Even so when going very slow or stationary on paved road it takes a bit of effort (assume due to weight and chunky tyres). The steering wheel is very thick which helps.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes. Even so when going very slow or stationary on paved road it takes a bit of effort (assume due to weight and chunky tyres). The steering wheel is very thick which helps.
Thanks - I pick mine up next week. Do you have any regrets with the vehicle?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks - I pick mine up next week. Do you have any regrets with the vehicle?
None, it has exceeded my expectations in almost every way. But I went in expecting a fairly basic modifiable heavy duty 4X4 not a luxury mall crawler, and I learnt to drive in a Range Rover classic. I have had no build quality issues or electrical gremlins (except for the GPS not working over 20kph), it’s built like a tank and I find the interior fit and finish to be excellent. Sure there are things that could be done better (RHD footrest issue & offset accelerator pedal) but the massive list of positives far outweigh the few negatives.
I appreciate “tool” products that are designed for function but are totally over engineered, the Grenadier perfectly fits that description.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
None, it has exceeded my expectations in almost every way. But I went in expecting a fairly basic modifiable heavy duty 4X4 not a luxury mall crawler, and I learnt to drive in a Range Rover classic. I have had no build quality issues or electrical gremlins (except for the GPS not working over 20kph), it’s built like a tank and I find the interior fit and finish to be excellent. Sure there are things that could be done better (RHD footrest issue & offset accelerator pedal) but the massive list of positives far outweigh the few negatives.
I appreciate “tool” products that are designed for function but are totally over engineered, the Grenadier perfectly fits that description.
What is exciting is to now see all the accessories hitting the market as well. What color did you pick?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What is exciting is to now see all the accessories hitting the market as well. What color did you pick?
Sterling Silver with standard interior. Silver to reflect the hot Aussie sun. First non leather interior since my 2001 WRX STi but I feel it matches the vehicle better, plus the weave reminds me of vintage 911 pepita seats.
What’s your config?

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The steering is not an issue once you get used to it. The smaller diameter wheel helps with the more active technique required. You don’t turn it with one hand using the heal of your palm on the centre bottom of the wheel. It’s two hands on deck, 10 to 2 or 15 to 3, hand over hand actively as you turn (the way you should steer a car anyway).
Actually that is exactly how I steer it. One handed, almost always, usually at the 3 o’clock position. In fact that is how I steered it when I went for a test drive in February.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Actually that is exactly how I steer it. One handed, almost always, usually at the 3 o’clock position. In fact that is how I steered it when I went for a test drive in February.
Most of the time I am the same, on normal open roads elbow on the door sill and one hand on wheel. But when turning lock to lock, off-road or in tight city streets it’s two hands for me. Your one hand technique must be very powerful!

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sterling Silver with standard interior. Silver to reflect the hot Aussie sun. First non leather interior since my 2001 WRX STi but I feel it matches the vehicle better, plus the weave reminds me of vintage 911 pepita seats.
What’s your config?
Trailmaster in Eldoret Blue with white top. Did the black and gray leather. Love the blue as it reminds me of the Gulf/Porsche livery colors of the 917. Even bought a subtle Gulf decal for the gas cap.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Trailmaster in Eldoret Blue with white top. Did the black and gray leather. Love the blue as it reminds me of the Gulf/Porsche livery colors of the 917. Even bought a subtle Gulf decal for the gas cap.
All you need is a Kevlar radiator fan and you will be set!

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Most of the time I am the same, on normal open roads elbow on the door sill and one hand on wheel. But when turning lock to lock, off-road or in tight city streets it’s two hands for me. Your one hand technique must be very powerful!
Let’s just say that my previous vehicle had a lot less power assist. Please don’t mention my massive forearms.

Back
Top Bottom