The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering bump/knock

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone come across a knocking sound when turning the steering wheel.

Happened rarely before but now it's permanent when turning a half rotation either to the left or right and many more when lock to lock.

Difficult to describe so will try video it. It's like the steering column is hitting something.

I did put the car through its paces offroad on Friday and yesterday so may have buggered something up.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score

Happened rarely before but now it's permanent when turning a half rotation either to the left or right and many more when lock to lock.

Difficult to describe so will try video it. It's like the steering column is hitting something.

I did put the car through its paces offroad on Friday and yesterday so may have buggered something up.
I haven't noticed anything like that so far. I'll wait for your video.

inky_black

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score
I had the problem, it was a defective ball bearing in the steering column. Directly on the passage through the board wall from the driver's seat towards the engine. The steering column was completely replaced by my agent. Since then the problem has been resolved.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I remember that @Jean Mercier wrote about a “bell” sound.
Is this similar?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had the problem, it was a defective ball bearing in the steering column. Directly on the passage through the board wall from the driver's seat towards the engine. The steering column was completely replaced by my agent. Since then the problem has been resolved.
Thank you Inky, appreciated. Will investigate with agent.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score

HI ECrider, @Owain posted this about a fix for his thump knocking sound in his steering wheel. DaBull
https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...d-petrol-trialmaster.12412483/post-1333235495

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly the same problem with ours. Began to manifest itself at roughly 3k miles, steering column replaced at 5900miles when the clunk had become much more persistent.

The loan car I currently have use of also has the start of a mild clunking sound - has done 2400miles.

Seems a common issue!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly the same problem with ours. Began to manifest itself at roughly 3k miles, steering column replaced at 5900miles when the clunk had become much more persistent.

The loan car I currently have use of also has the start of a mild clunking sound - has done 2400miles.

Seems a common issue!
thank you JOB for the reply. Will add to my snag list for the agent (y)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have got a clunking noise with my drag link now when axle articulating and steering is turned especially . I can replicate this by leaning under the vehicle and twisting the drag link by hand to cause the drag link to steering ball joint to make the noise. Nothing loose just doesn’t sound right.
I took an 8second video but file too large to upload. IMG_0899.jpeg

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
I have got a clunking noise with my drag link now when axle articulating and steering is turned especially . I can replicate this by leaning under the vehicle and twisting the drag link by hand to cause the drag link to steering ball joint to make the noise. Nothing loose just doesn’t sound right.
I took an 8second video but file too large to upload. View attachment 7835520
Hi Logsplitter, It looks like part of the drag link knuckle cap has broken off unless that is the design of it. DaBull

Omnivorax

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello Inky_black, had the same problem. In german I would rather describe it as "Knacken" with slight vibrations felt along the steering wheel, when turning. In my case it happened primarily while driving, not during parking maneuvers. Had the car checked by the agent - also for different other problems. They told me to have disassembled the whole steering and found nothing...?! In the first weeks after that the noise was gone. Now it returned. Not as intense as before, but it's back. Could you give me some more detailed informations what exactly was the cause and fault and what had to be replaced?
Thank you!

inky_black

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello Inky_black, had the same problem. In german I would rather describe it as "Knacken" with slight vibrations felt along the steering wheel, when turning. In my case it happened primarily while driving, not during parking maneuvers. Had the car checked by the agent - also for different other problems. They told me to have disassembled the whole steering and found nothing...?! In the first weeks after that the noise was gone. Now it returned. Not as intense as before, but it's back. Could you give me some more detailed informations what exactly was the cause and fault and what had to be replaced?
Thank you!

Hi @Omnivorax in my case it was a defective bearing which is contained in the steering column. And it was the bearing that comes first on the side wall (Spritzwand/Bordwand) bushing. Which is why the cracking is also transferred to the side wall and thus the interior. The universal joints of the steering column were not affected, as far as I know these are two pieces that can be seen in the engine compartment, the first assumption was that the noise was coming from the universal joints. The steering column with height adjustment is installed in the interior and the steering wheel is attached to it. My Agent has replaced the entire steering column. After removal, rusty spots were also visible on the bearing. They sent the steering column in for a detailed fault analysis. Since it was replaced, I no longer have any cracking noise when steering. It also cracked when I was driving, especially when I steered to the left, but it was quieter when I steered to the right.
Best regards inky_black

Back
Top Bottom