The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering and Poor Stability

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:58 PM
Reaction score
That’s too bad and I wish I had some ideas on how to fix it. I will say when new it was pretty darty. Now I can very easily drive 85mph one handed. I am running 38front/42rear cold.

Dre

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
I'm in the UK. My vehicle is four months old. I was expecting to have to get used to the steering system from all the reviews. The stability at anything over 60mph feels unstable, but I thought it was just a characteristic and got used to driving slower, especially on motorways. I've got a loan car as mine is in for the software update and a few other things. The loaner stability is much better than mine, and it felt okay even at 80 miles per hour. My steering feels to have a bit more play when turning, and the loan car feels much more directional and safe. I'm waiting for the dealer to return, but I am worried that they will say nothing is wrong, and I have to live with it. Any thought on possible problems?
I’d start with tyre pressure and wheel alignment and compre to the hire car. The dealer should sort this all out for you. Mine is at 250kpi /36psi and runs well all the way through

MRO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How many miles/km has your vehicle travelled? Do you have the BFG KO2 or the Bridgestone tyres?

Pressures aside, a few people have noted their highway tracking improved with the KO2 tyres after they had done some work to break them in. After 4 months you're probably outside the new tyre zone but something to consider. In addition to the good advice you're getting, a simple wheel rotation (position change) may highlight a tyre issue.
I agree entirely. I have the KO2 tyres and they were horrible at cruising speed for the first 3k miles and are now fine having worn in and reduced pressures to 37. I tried a dealer car with Bridgestones and they are much better on the road.

None of this should surprise us. When we buy a normal 4wd with OEM road biased tyres and switch to ATs we accept that we are making a big compromise. The difference with the Grenadier is we start with ATs and forget we have made that compromise up front and judge the car unfairly as a result.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The difference with the Grenadier is we start with ATs and forget we have made that compromise up front and judge the car unfairly as a result.
I think this is also important to keep in mind; even other off-road centric vehicles, at least here in the US, come with on-road centric tires (for instance, TRD Off Road models from Toyota).

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm in the UK. My vehicle is four months old. I was expecting to have to get used to the steering system from all the reviews. The stability at anything over 60mph feels unstable, but I thought it was just a characteristic and got used to driving slower, especially on motorways. I've got a loan car as mine is in for the software update and a few other things. The loaner stability is much better than mine, and it felt okay even at 80 miles per hour. My steering feels to have a bit more play when turning, and the loan car feels much more directional and safe. I'm waiting for the dealer to return, but I am worried that they will say nothing is wrong, and I have to live with it. Any thought on possible problems?
I encountered the same experience as you’re describing. I asked the dealer to look at it while other issues were being rectified.

They did a wheel alignment, found it was out, aligned it, and since then the steering experience has been better. Not great, but much better.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:58 PM
Reaction score
Definitely depends on what you are used to driving. I have been driving on BFG Mud Terrains since 1989, 31-38" and always driving 4x4s, including some very wobbly trail builds on Monteros (no actual designed lift kits or sas kits to do it right) and might not ever even pick up anything that someone coming from street cars or non-off road focused vehicles would. My wife's Four Runner is certainly more nimble then my Power Wagon. But the Grenadier just felt like a well riding and handling vehicle to us. The other biggy not really talked about much is a solid axle. A 100x more capable and stronger then IFS, but barring something bent on an IFS rig ( if you are wheeling hard there probably is) a solid axle will not handle as well. The Grenadier suspension is well designed, but still....it will always feel a little more darty or un-refined then IFS. Right up to the point your buddies are having a CV and tie rod changing party on the trail while you grab a Beer and hand wrenches...or an A-arm...or drag link....or weld the axle tube back together....or fix the flip kit....or mount...or fish broken inner shafts out of the diff....Oh, so much fun!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would confirm that you are at the "lower" unloaded pressures (assuming you aren't loaded with passengers and cargo all the time); the decrease in pressure will make a notable difference in highway handling
What pressures are you running if unloaded? I think delivery pressures are 40PSI?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What pressures are you running if unloaded? I think delivery pressures are 40PSI?
I believe they are in the manual, something around 36-37 IIRC

Local time
10:58 PM
Reaction score
As already mentioned, check the wheel alignment/tracking.

Maybe Burt in the Grenadier Finishing Dept forgot to set yours, after being distracted by his wife calling to say that her Discovery had just blown its engine.

don't ignore warning ligh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There has been a recall of over 60 Ineos Grenadier vehicles in the US due to power steering issues/failure.
Having had issues that Lyn Calder insisted were 'a one off' with the power steering on our Grenadier I am now suspecting that it is a much bigger problem than they are letting on...
You can contact her directly, ( via LinkedIn)Ineos customer care are very pleasant but don't actually do anything and our dealership were also very pleasant but couldn't do anything.
You have up until 6 months to reject the vehicle ( UK) you can get legal advice from citizens advice or through buying a subscription to Which ? Magazine .
If you would like to speak to me directly I would be happy to help if I can .

Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely tell the dealer to get on it. There is a recall related to the things you describe.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
The only steering observation I have is that it seems pretty heavy (insufficiently power-assisted) at low/zero speed... like when 3-point turning into a parking space. Anyone else find this?

Yes this would be somewhat expected - small steering wheel and fat tyres, twisting on the tarmac - but my old 110 defender was better/lighter in this regard.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My tyre pressure settings. K02 on 17" alloy rims
Handles beautifully
90% return to centre when turning.
zero need to keep correcting steering.
i will take a video soon but I can take both hands off the wheel on the motorway and it tracks straight.
Unless hit by cross winds or high camber road.

1706745126361.png

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
do you find your steering heavy in the centre Dave, at low/zero speed?

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:58 PM
Reaction score
There has been a recall of over 60 Ineos Grenadier vehicles in the US due to power steering issues/failure.
Having had issues that Lyn Calder insisted were 'a one off' with the power steering on our Grenadier I am now suspecting that it is a much bigger problem than they are letting on...
You can contact her directly, ( via LinkedIn)Ineos customer care are very pleasant but don't actually do anything and our dealership were also very pleasant but couldn't do anything.
You have up until 6 months to reject the vehicle ( UK) you can get legal advice from citizens advice or through buying a subscription to Which ? Magazine .
Show us the proof you keep referring to! This is untrue. The US had a recall on a non locking nut.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have not heard this at all. Please link your source on this as if verified, it’s a major point of concern. However, without attribution, it’s a big claim.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have not heard this at all. Please link your source on this as if verified, it’s a major point of concern. However, without attribution, it’s a big claim.
8 points for Krabby for using "attribution" in a sentence.
I bet that sent a lot of viewers to Google, Wikipedia, or given the age of many, a dictionary.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Please accept my apologies for any unintended confuscation.

Back
Top Bottom