The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare Wheel Mount Question

jsc2023

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on the maximum load capacity of the spare wheel mount?

Reason: looking to add an additional 10 gals of fuel weight (~65lbs additional to the tire). Want to ensure I don’t create a separate issue.

Thanks in advance.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
I’ve not heard that asked before. I will try and find out.

And now that you ask I want to know too.

Before I can get an answer maybe @anand already knows…….

Vote:
Upvote 0

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a published weight capacity for that piece... Although, based on the reinforcements in the rear door, I would say it is pretty hefty, as scientific of a statement as that can be....

Vote:
Upvote 0

jsc2023

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a published weight capacity for that piece... Although, based on the reinforcements in the rear door, I would say it is pretty hefty, as scientific of a statement as that can be....
anand,
Thanks! I am thinking the same thing, but knowing my luck, I would mount the fuel and the entire thing would fall off the door! LOL

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully at some point a brand will offer a swing out tire carrier that attaches to the bumper that will take the weight off the door, similar to AEVs bumper for the Wrangler. I’d imagine the steel bumpers would make a good host for that sort of thing.

I’ve not owned a Jeep in a while but in the ones I owned in the past, the rear hinges always start to go bad as the truck aged, larger tires were added, and/or off road use.…or hangin’ additional gear off the tire😂😜

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Poking around AEVs site some more, txhis is kind of an ingenious idea for off-trail fuel storage

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully at some point a brand will offer a swing out tire carrier that attaches to the bumper that will take the weight off the door, similar to AEVs bumper for the Wrangler. I’d imagine the steel bumpers would make a good host for that sort of thing.

I’ve not owned a Jeep in a while but in the ones I owned in the past, the rear hinges always start to go bad as the truck aged, larger tires were added, and/or off road use.…or hangin’ additional gear off the tire😂😜
This was a massive failure point on the D110, and a specific item Sir Jim addressed. The engineering that went into the rear door (and hinges in general) eliminates the need for a swing-out tire carrier.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This was a massive failure point on the D110, and a specific item Sir Jim addressed. The engineering that went into the rear door (and hinges in general) eliminates the need for a swing-out tire carrier.
Correct. And from the photos of the door internals, it looks amazingly tough.

Vote:
Upvote 0

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've thought about this and my thinking is as follows:

Whatever the load capacity of the larger door is, the majority of it is consumed. Even if an allowance is made for 40% more - which I doubt, there is already a significant load present.

The ladder on the other hand is lightweight and designed to carry the weight of a person. It is generally unused as compared to the constant weight of the wheel and tire.

Thus - I'd prefer to put the weight of any additional fuel low on the ladder, than affixed to the spare tire.

Edit: there is a difference between static and dynamic load rating, and surely the smaller door is only designed for a human sized weight in a static loading.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've thought about this and my thinking is as follows:

Thus - I'd prefer to put the weight of any additional fuel low on the ladder, than affixed to the spare tire.
Me too, but I’m only carrying water & fuel on the roof rack or in the load space.

Vote:
Upvote 0

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Me too, but I’m only carrying water & fuel on the roof rack or in the load space.
I think @GPFACTOR is working on a solution like I've described - to carry scepter cans on the ladder. The Black Sheep ladder is nice - but too rich for my blood.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think @GPFACTOR is working on a solution like I've described - to carry scepter cans on the ladder. The Black Sheep ladder is nice - but too rich for my blood.
I think you mean the LeTech ladder - I agree that it's fantastic but crazy expensive. Even without taxes and shipping it's a pretty penny.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Speaking of, am I crazy to drive around without the spare mounted around town? As it'll be my daily. I'm thinking the view out back would be better without the spare blocking the view. Or does it matter?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Speaking of, am I crazy to drive around without the spare mounted around town? As it'll be my daily. I'm thinking the view out back would be better without the spare blocking the view. Or does it matter?
It doesn't matter until you get a flat tire. If you are a call AAA kind of guy, it's a wise idea to remove the spare - not only for a better view but also to shed 40 or 50 pounds. But, it's better to have a spare tire and not need it than the other way around!

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
As an engineer, machinist, mechanic, and scientist, I seriously doubt that is a good idea. You don't have to believe me. Sometimes I don't either.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. Can you point me to the information on the design/engineering of the door(s)?

Vote:
Upvote 0

jsc2023

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question!! This is what makes this forum and Grenadier ownership so awesome….great people actively seeking to help others!!
Thanks everyone

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom