The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare Wheel Bag

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
I am in market for a decent spare wheel bag (at least 50 Lt) to use for extra storage and/or for rubbish. There are so many brands around, different materials, design, size & price.

In Australia, cheaper, basic ones start around $80 and high quality, multi-pocket from $175 to $230.

What brands are members using and why?

I wonder if having the spare wheel lockage storage box means either I don't need one or I should get a small/medium one to make it easy to get access to the box?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have used for years the MSA bag. Large, tough and does the job. But there are now many more chocies. Blacksmith and Crashpod have good offerings, there gear is top quality. If buying again, I would choose between these three.

This thread on canvas products is a good place to start if you want more choices, look here. Look at MSA4X4, Blacksmith Camping, Boss Aluminum, Drifta and Crashpad has a large range of rear wheel garbage bags, five different models.

screenshot-2023-09-17-07-11-47-png.7827014

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Many thanks Michael.

My brother bought a Trashsaroo a few years ago - very large, reasonable quality, well priced.

However, when full, (I think it was 90L), it used to sag down a bit. It probably lasted 4/5 years.

I do like the Blacksmith but $220!

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
PXL_20231006_071418469.jpg
I chose the trasharoo for a tan like colour to go with mushroom not that they are anything alike. Great bag however a real pain to get on and off. I'll be cutting the straps to add buckles at a more accessible location. Top or bottom not dead centre behind the tyre.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My MSA4X4 has lasted 10 years so far. Better to buy it right than buy it twice. Wheel bags take real punishment.

Wheel bags have never been cheap, but the MSA is cheaper than the Blacksmith. You can sometimes get another 10% at 4x4 shows and no postage.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7830562
I chose the trasharoo for a tan like colour to go with mushroom not that they are anything alike. Great bag however a real pain to get on and off. I'll be cutting the straps to add buckles at a more accessible location. Top or bottom not dead centre behind the tyre.
Thanks for that.

What stuff are putting inside the wheel box - I was thinking of a tool bag

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

What stuff are putting inside the wheel box - I was thinking of a tool bag
I have no wheel lockbox. I figured ild always get a bag on the back so won't be accessing it regularly. I can still put stuff in behind the normal blank cover though, just tie the stuff to the holes on the wheel so as not to be loose. But yeh maybe some tools or spare equipment.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score
I am in market for a decent spare wheel bag (at least 50 Lt) to use for extra storage and/or for rubbish. There are so many brands around, different materials, design, size & price.

In Australia, cheaper, basic ones start around $80 and high quality, multi-pocket from $175 to $230.

I wonder if having the spare wheel lockage storage box means either I don't need one or I should get a small/medium one to make it easy to get access to the box?
I've got a Bushranger wheelie bin, I put a plastic bin inside it so it 1. doesn't sag like a ball bag, and 2. you can put a liner into it, they are really tough and can pressure clean them easily. The side pockets are great for empty bottles of wine
1698058846885.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've got a Bushranger wheelie bin, I put a plastic bin inside it so it 1. doesn't sag like a ball bag, and 2. you can put a liner into it, they are really tough and can pressure clean them easily. The side pockets are great for empty bottles of wine
View attachment 7830565
....and a really good price too

OverlandGearGuy

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score

Have you seen our spare tire bag?

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom