The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score

So where are all the first impressions?​

Just wondering how or have you had to answer this question...'is that a new Defender?'

I have to admit that my answer when showing pictures of the Gren has been, NoYes and then I have to tell the story.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
Haha, mine would make some trees cry if not for the hair.

I know there are risers for the front of the seats in my 4runner. Maybe this company could come up with a fit for the IG.

That might solve the leg support very well. But I definitely need some cm more room as well.
I found this company (which by luck is quite near to my home base).
They are official Recaro partners and do build rail extensions for a dozen car manufacturers. They seem to crash test them as well.
Nevertheless the products are mighty expensive!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
I just came back from a 900 km trip and I had a good time driving the Grenadier in a little bit. Although I hardly went over 120 km/h it took around 11 litres/100 km.
When slowing down to 90 km/h it is certainly possible to get a straight 9 litres/100 km or even lower. As we all might have known before, the drag seems to be the worst enemy here.
What made me a little bit upset was the fact that I didn’t have enough leg room. I am 1,94 meter but my legs are about abnormal long. When I drive with the seat at the last position it is not possible to arrange the foot on the pedal with a relaxed position of the right leg. This is made worse by the fact that the pedal is positioned slightly to the left of the line a straight leg would have. (LHD)
I will decently need a seat rail extension,
Does anybody encountered similar issues?
Imagine is you had phone book sized footrest like the RHD version has just to make it even worse! I feel your pain regarding the odd pedal layout... the RHD had a similar issue where pedal is offset and your hips twist to try and get a normal leg alignment..

beanohallett

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You don't have to order them, neither the safari windows nor the sunrods.
Exactly! My experience with JLR sunroofs [ and VAG to come to that] [ plus a loss of ""THATCH"" up top gave me an unfathomable desire to avoid them in the future, hence didn't go for either of the models with them in (y)

beanohallett

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Took delivery of my station wagon this week. First time driving an Ineos, no test drive. My first thoughts are, it looks huge and it’s a tank. Good road presence on the road. People in the know, middle aged men do a double take, LR defenders drivers all look too. Some young kids think it’s a G class. So very well accepted and people let you out of junctions. Mines Donney grey and doesn’t draw too much attention. I feel like Hobbs in fast and furious driving his truck.

I like the high up seating, like sitting on a bus and the door sill is just right for resting my arm. Excellent visibility all around. Reversing is easy. Easier than my old LR Sport. A rear white light just below the rear reverse camera so super bright for reversing.

The door closes with a thud. I have to actually slam it for the first few day because it wouldn’t shut first time. It getting looser.

The diesel engine is very tight at the moment. When starting off, when you press the accelerator, it’s either very slow or full send. Buts it getting better. I noticed that the engine at idle or slow speed, you can hear it whistling from the engine. Maybe it’s a characteristic but I had a BMW X5 3 litre diesel before and can’t remember this sound.

Negatives, the foot rest is an issue. I can’t rest my foot but because I’m small, I can get used to it. Rear seats are very upright, rear leg room is tight but acceptable because it’s a station wagon not a family wagon. The plastics/buttons on the centre dashboard could have been better, couple of minor squeaks coming from the main screen area.

Noise on the motorway is acceptable not loud at 60 mph. Bit of wind noise at 70 but that’s acceptable because it’s shaped like a brick. High speed driving is good. MPG so far avg 25mpg. High speed is stable.

The return to centre steering, need to get used to but I can feel it improving as it loosens. Cornering for such a large car is surprisingly good, not much roll. The brakes are super, very grabby, I like them.

The seats are very comfy too. The sunroof is amazing, but some rattling when it’s open.

The paintwork is excellent. No orange peel. Wireless car play is excellent, good connection. Music system is decent too. Love the LED headlights and halo accents.

Maybe a grab handle for the drivers side too would be nice. I have to grab the steering wheel to climb up.

I looked under the Grenadier and all looks solid and beefy. Like the way the diff pumpkins are squared off at the bottom.

Overall, it’s an excellent 4x4. Utilitarian designed for purpose. Modern but vintage old school. Good road presence. Very good visibility in front because the front bonnet tapers in. Also there is no speedometer binnacle in front of the driver. Size, I measured it against my old LR sport and it’s actually not as wide but slightly longer.
For the money, it’s good value and it feels like it will last forever. It’s a keeper for me.
Just about the same here, I managed to get the tow bar but alas the side steps and picknick table are missing - side steps being a very much missed option and hauling in with the steering wheel too, probably not recommended for long term.

I didn't really find the foot rest an issue on short runs but will feed back next week when we tow to france

kind regards garry

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
the RHD had a similar issue where pedal is offset and your hips twist to try and get a normal leg alignment..
Has , not had, You will need an arse orthotic 😁
Or a "special wishes" custom version of the Grenadier.
Porsche do special wishes.

beanohallett

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have to say. The plastic in the rear of the vehicle feels as cheap as you can get. Trying to access the bottle Jack and I don’t know if I might snap a plastic fitting or not. The storage in the rear door warps when first aid kit has been fitted. The plastic feels like it will scratch extremely easily. Ultimately I will have this area trimmed in a marine grade, stretch carpet for a finish more like my wife’s X3.
So far, that and the slightly laggy software on the head unit are my only negative observations. Both are capable of being solved so no issues there.
I would agree with the trimming in the boot,[ hopefully some after market kit will sort that or my role of rubber matting !! the only mitigation - it is better than my defender was, but life has moved on, or so they say in the past 20 years !!

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Picked up my Magic mushroom 5 seat utility yesterday from Jardine, big thank you to those guys for the hand over!

This thing is the absolute nuts! Done 200 miles already. The colour is fantastic, so glad I went with gut instinct and picked it.

Having a few error gremlins pop up here and there, but that's it. Amazing on road performance, i was honestly blown away by how well it cruises at 80. Loads of power.

Its a pleasure to drive, all notions of bad steering went out the window after driving it home... put it this way, id have spent a lot of money to try and get my JK wrangler steering half as good as this.... its precise on the motorway, and coupled with hardly any body roll, makes it very confidence inspiring.

Played around with Low box, centre and F/R lockers in the field. Found they all work fine, the TC lever is just a mechanical one that needs a good positive activation. If anything its easier than my jeep was to get into low

The footrest, absolute non issue. I find it very comfortable (albeit im only 5'10)

Took it to the pub earlier to show a mate. After a test drive round the block, he's on the configurator spec'ing up a fieldmaster!
Told you'd be happy 😊

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
Picked up my Magic mushroom 5 seat utility yesterday from Jardine, big thank you to those guys for the hand over!

This thing is the absolute nuts! Done 200 miles already. The colour is fantastic, so glad I went with gut instinct and picked it.

Having a few error gremlins pop up here and there, but that's it. Amazing on road performance, i was honestly blown away by how well it cruises at 80. Loads of power.

Its a pleasure to drive, all notions of bad steering went out the window after driving it home... put it this way, id have spent a lot of money to try and get my JK wrangler steering half as good as this.... its precise on the motorway, and coupled with hardly any body roll, makes it very confidence inspiring.

Played around with Low box, centre and F/R lockers in the field. Found they all work fine, the TC lever is just a mechanical one that needs a good positive activation. If anything its easier than my jeep was to get into low

The footrest, absolute non issue. I find it very comfortable (albeit im only 5'10)

Took it to the pub earlier to show a mate. After a test drive round the block, he's on the configurator spec'ing up a fieldmaster!
Great to hear about the features that impress you.

It seems that time and time again we are hearing that the Grenadier is very impressive at speed on the tarmac.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
Imagine is you had phone book sized footrest like the RHD version has just to make it even worse! I feel your pain regarding the odd pedal layout... the RHD had a similar issue where pedal is offset and your hips twist to try and get a normal leg alignment..
No, I don’t think it would be so hard with the foot rest of the RHD vehicles. I can move the left foot a lot as I don’t need it for driving. But the right foot is fixed on the pedal without any way of moving it away as long as the cruise control is switched off.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Was doing 75 MPH today on the motorway. Very smooth with just a couple of fingers from one hand on the steering wheel. Would never have registered any steering issues if someone hadn’t brought it up.
Interestingly, at only 5’9” tall I have the seat all the way back. Not sure how taller people would find it on a long journey. I don’t expect it to take very long before seat runner modifications make their way to market as with the old Defender.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Was doing 75 MPH today on the motorway. Very smooth with just a couple of fingers from one hand on the steering wheel. Would never have registered any steering issues if someone hadn’t brought it up.
Interestingly, at only 5’9” tall I have the seat all the way back. Not sure how taller people would find it on a long journey. I don’t expect it to take very long before seat runner modifications make their way to market as with the old Defender.
Could you remind me of the link for the Helicopter tape stuff that you’ve used in the door shuts? After seeing mine yesterday, I agree that such a solution is essential. I’m even considering having it PPF’d.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Apart from the constant 'bong' every time I touch the throttle to start moving from a stationary position.
I can't see the info in the middle of the compass during the day, without carefully peering at it. (Not recommended when driving). It is only legible in low light conditions or at night. With hindsight, not sure if I would have spent the money on the compass. As someone else suggested, buy a clock on the aftermarket and mount it in the same place.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Could you remind me of the link for the Helicopter tape stuff that you’ve used in the door shuts? After seeing mine yesterday, I agree that such a solution is essential. I’m even considering having it PPF’d.
This was the one I have used..

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 75

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have problems with the locks. See thread Diff locks.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Job
Wasn’t me that came up with the idea but I ordered some from Amazon. Loads of it on there. I think I chose 75mm width. Not arrived yet. Car door sill protector was the name. Also found using ’Helicopter Tape’ or ‘Bike frame protection tape’.

Back
Top Bottom