The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side steps versus Rock sliders

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
Yeah, haven’t ordered them but thinking I might want to be able to get a hi-lift under them… for recovery rather than tyre change of course.
I recall reading, hearing seeing something that said the step could be used as a jacking point.
Probably on here so maybe use the search function in the top right

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
I recall reading, hearing seeing something that said the step could be used as a jacking point.
Yeah, thinking that might be sketchy for recovery as there’s nothing to brace the top of the jack against. I’ve got one of those ARB hydraulic jobs and jack point permitting you can snug it right up against the body work so it‘s not going to rock off balance and damage your door or take a finger etc. Exhaust jack those would be the go though.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Came across a Mongolian farmer who’d tipped his UAZ onto it’s side (to rebuild the suspension) using a couple of yaks. We thought we’d come across a rollover and spilled out all ‘Thunderbirds are GO!’. Bucolic scene for context:

View attachment DE7EE42E-BF32-4611-94DA-93DA822E96E7.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
It's here @10:08 :

Last edited:
Reactions: PBD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
It's in the configurator:
Screenshot_20221121_143713.jpg

But then again, it was also on the Ineos website as a step, which it clearly isn't:
Screenshot_20220903_225336.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think they refer to the Rock Slider as "a handy step" and don't mean "The Step" offered in the configurator.

I do however think that both have the same mounting points and bolts and should thus have the same strength as far as mounting is concerned.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's in the configurator:
View attachment 7796501

But then again, it was also on the Ineos website as a step, which it clearly isn't:
View attachment 7796504

No chance that the rock sliders I saw at Firle could be used safely as a step. Yes with climbing shoes you could get the toe point on but boots, you'd be skimming your knees as soon as try. Think they have misled people with the above.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about either option really. I'd like something that could serve as a step (I'm not the tallest guy in the world) but I would prefer steps that aren't that far from the sill.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, thinking that might be sketchy for recovery as there’s nothing to brace the top of the jack against. I’ve got one of those ARB hydraulic jobs and jack point permitting you can snug it right up against the body work so it‘s not going to rock off balance and damage your door or take a finger etc. Exhaust jack those would be the go though.
Those ARB hydraulic jacks are nice bits of kit. But at £870 in the U.K. I won’t be getting one any time soon. Just hope I don’t have to jack the vehicle up too many times. Old Hi-lift jack for me !

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
None of you Neanderthals open your wife’s door and assist her getting in ;)

It comes as a surprise to me that off all the crack-pot plans and ideas I had in my 20s, the plan to marry the smartest, prettiest, tallest girl I could get to talk to me worked out SPLENDIDLY well.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My wife who is not very tall wants what she calls pigmy steps so she can climb in with short legs
My issue is that they look to hang very low and would no doubt be an issue on rough tracks. would the rock sliders give any advantage to my short legged lovely wife. Hard to tell without seeing them in the flesh
i would guess not. But any help with my problem would be appreciated
cheers Pete
I asked the Ineoes people at the 4x4 show and they said can’t really step on the sliders. I have had a good look at the side runners and have been pretty impressed. They are very solid and bolted to the chassis, nothing like the tinfoil sidesteps that come OEM with most new vehicles. They look like they hang low but really they aren’t lower than other stuff under the car and would likely provide a fair amount of protection for the body from rocks and sticks. They don’t replace sliders entirely because there isnt a bar running the full
Length under the sill but a a partner pleasing compromise they are not bad at all. I have ordered them, hopefully at some stage in the future someone will make a nice aftermarket combination slider/step and I will probably change out then.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also read in the spec that you can use the rock sliders for lifting the IG if you need to say change a wheel, there was no mention of this for the side steps.
I did hear you can with the side runners but haven’t seen anything official on that.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Chocki yeah I read the same thing. Rock sliders can be used with a high lift jack. hopefully IG have provided a slightly better jack than the long running opposition ?
It has a hydraulic bottle jack, looks nice and beefy.8D88B54F-80AB-4C1E-8DEF-46B274018DDD.jpeg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If my wife ever struggles with getting into the vehicle I'll enrol her in a Tactical step class.
High steps. Must be good for flexibility and strength eh?
Or she can just practise on our stairs at home, 2-3 at a time!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
This is the same one that Land Rover supplied in the Discovery. This one works very well.
They are a tough unit. I will be fitting a base plate into the storage compartment and my U shaped axle cradle as well.
To suit all those awkward angles and terrains one tends to meet.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
None of you Neanderthals open your wife’s door and assist her getting in
My wife is not just a decoration in the Grenadier: she will drive it herself, even without me. So she has to learn to enter it on her own - and will probably call me a clown if I don't trust her to do so. ;-)

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They are a tough unit. I will be fitting a base plate into the storage compartment and my U shaped axle cradle as well.
To suit all those awkward angles and terrains one tends to meet.
I always carry a thick poly Kitchen cutting board. Useful for cooking, cleaning fish and as a base plate for the jack if necessary.

Francois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
I have seen where the jack is housed inside the rear of the IG. Has anyone sees 1) where the jack's arm is put away indie the car and 2) where the jack is fitted underneath the IG in order to raise the car?

Back
Top Bottom