The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Side steps versus Rock sliders

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
I thought that the rockslides may give some option as well to use them somehow as step, especially after watching the rendering clip as I mentioned in this thread.

I've asked INEOS and got the following reply:

„Hi, we wouldn't recommend to use the rock-slider as a side step as it doesn't have any stepping surface and the small space between the rock slider and the door makes it uncomfortable to go in and out of the cabin."

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
@CavaleiroThank you, that was the tiny bit of information I needed, so I‘ll wait for the aftermarket.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
Tempted to opt for neither in the hope there may be better aftermarket alternatives. If I am wrong, I’m sure it would be no big deal to retrofit. I think the side steps look a bit lame with no tread or platform. I would quite like the steps as supplied with my Td5 Defender. 

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Quite like the idea of Ford might be doing:

"Ford patents integrated sand ladders"

ford-integrated-sand-ladder-patent-image_100839075_h.jpg
ford-integrated-sand-ladder-patent-image_100839066_h.jpg

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like the tank turn idea (y)

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Quite like the idea of Ford might be doing:

"Ford patents integrated sand ladders"

View attachment 7793984
View attachment 7793983

So when the "sand ladders" are stowed on the roof, (cause you are driving around the city), item 24 is just hanging there ready to trip you up?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So when the "sand ladders" are stowed on the roof, (cause you are driving around the city), item 24 is just hanging there ready to trip you up?
No way, when you are driving around the city they would still be down there but covered in mud. That way everyone would know you are a manly offroader.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That's british. 😁

Local time
Reaction score
Surely youâd be bottle jacking under the axle for a wheel change? Hi lift under the sliders primarily for recovery situations⦠or am I channeling some Aust habit not observed elsewhere?
Here in the U.S. companies that make rock sliders advertise them as jacking points, because - typically - people who buy rock sliders have also gone to oversize tires. When you get to a 35-inch tire or larger, most factory-supplied jacks aren't able to lift the vehicle high enough to change a tire (especially true when off-road in funky terrain), so people use their Hi-Lift jacks on the rock slider for a tire-change.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here in the U.S. companies that make rock sliders advertise them as jacking points, because - typically - people who buy rock sliders have also gone to oversize tires. When you get to a 35-inch tire or larger, most factory-supplied jacks aren't able to lift the vehicle high enough to change a tire (especially true when off-road in funky terrain), so people use their Hi-Lift jacks on the rock slider for a tire-change.
Rocksliders need to be able to support the weight of lifting the side of the vehicle without deforming so you don't damage the panels when dropping on or sliding across rocks. Therefore you can use them as a jacking point keeping in mind they are round so could slip off the jack. Side steps are meant to hold the weight of a human standing on them and I have seen them rated to 100kgs for cheapies and 150kgs -200kgs for good ones. Side steps are not rated as jacking points. Pretty sure I have heard several comments in interviews saying you can use the side steps as jacking points but you would need to check first. They would need to be rated for at least 1 tonne in an upwards direction as an estimate.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Side steps get chipped up and fugly in no time. I used to spend large wads of cash for these impractical blights on an otherwise perfectly functional and handsome vehicle as a remedy to my wife's vertical challenges but no more! I have become enlightened to the fact that there is a far simpler and cost-effective solution that also has the benefit of being stowable in the front footwell:

step.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
Rocksliders need to be able to support the weight of lifting the side of the vehicle without deforming so you don't damage the panels when dropping on or sliding across rocks. Therefore you can use them as a jacking point keeping in mind they are round so could slip off the jack. Side steps are meant to hold the weight of a human standing on them and I have seen them rated to 100kgs for cheapies and 150kgs -200kgs for good ones. Side steps are not rated as jacking points. Pretty sure I have heard several comments in interviews saying you can use the side steps as jacking points but you would need to check first. They would need to be rated for at least 1 tonne in an upwards direction as an estimate.
Not sure why this was a reply to me - I'm quite clear on the difference between side steps and rock sliders (I pulled the factory side steps off my Tacoma on day 1, and installed rock sliders; I also had sliders on my JK - which took a lot of abuse). I was just describing why rock sliders might be marketed more here in the U.S. as a jacking point - in addition to their obvious use as a rock slider - because over size tires are more common here, and as a consequence, a lot of people are carrying around a factory-provided bottle jack that is useless when running 35, 37, or 40-inch tires.

I have never heard of a side step rated as a jacking point; I suppose it is possible, but I think it is more likely that the person speaking didn't know the difference between side steps and rock sliders. Side steps are actually a hazard when driving in the rocks: an impact to a side step can cause the step to do damage to the vehicle's rocker panels or some other part of the body. You are better off without side steps in the rocks, because you have better ground clearance. Better still is to lose a little ground clearance with a rock slider, but have the protection (as a true rock slider will not budge when the weight of the vehicle slams down on a rock, making impact on the slider).

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@G-Man
If have the exactly that step. Was your's an ALDI buy as well? (just curious how 'international' these things are)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Flip up brackets would solve that for you...

22.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought that the rockslides may give some option as well to use them somehow as step, especially after watching the rendering clip as I mentioned in this thread.

I've asked INEOS and got the following reply:

âHi, we wouldn't recommend to use the rock-slider as a side step as it doesn't have any stepping surface and the small space between the rock slider and the door makes it uncomfortable to go in and out of the cabin."

I think that's the truth of it, but interesting to see other parts of Ineos promoting them as steps.

Screenshot_20220903_225336.jpg

Maybe the design is going to change...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure why this was a reply to me - I'm quite clear on the difference between side steps and rock sliders (I pulled the factory side steps off my Tacoma on day 1, and installed rock sliders; I also had sliders on my JK - which took a lot of abuse). I was just describing why rock sliders might be marketed more here in the U.S. as a jacking point - in addition to their obvious use as a rock slider - because over size tires are more common here, and as a consequence, a lot of people are carrying around a factory-provided bottle jack that is useless when running 35, 37, or 40-inch tires.

I have never heard of a side step rated as a jacking point; I suppose it is possible, but I think it is more likely that the person speaking didn't know the difference between side steps and rock sliders. Side steps are actually a hazard when driving in the rocks: an impact to a side step can cause the step to do damage to the vehicle's rocker panels or some other part of the body. You are better off without side steps in the rocks, because you have better ground clearance. Better still is to lose a little ground clearance with a rock slider, but have the protection (as a true rock slider will not budge when the weight of the vehicle slams down on a rock, making impact on the slider).
It was a comment/addition related to your comment and directly supporting it. Not an attack on your masculinity.

Last edited:

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
My wife who is not very tall wants what she calls pigmy steps so she can climb in with short legs
My issue is that they look to hang very low and would no doubt be an issue on rough tracks. would the rock sliders give any advantage to my short legged lovely wife. Hard to tell without seeing them in the flesh
i would guess not. But any help with my problem would be appreciated
cheers Pete

'My wife, who is the perfect size but who was not consulted by Ineos when designing this rig, wants what she calls pigmy steps so she can climb in easier with her perfectly sized legs"

Good lord, Pete. I fixed that for you but you'd best edit before the missus finds it! (Kidding of course!) Having a similarly "perfectly" sized wife myself, steps are handy so I totally hear where she's coming from!

So here's my experience with both sliders and steps -- which one to get depends entirely how you plan to use the vehicle.

Rock sliders, as stickshifter and others have mentioned, need to be able to support the weight of the vehicle. As the name suggests, they are for sliding the vehicle over rocks. If they bend or have any give at all, then they won't work for that function -- they will bend up and cause ancillary damage to panels or stop the doors from working, which is no good at all. You should be able to drag the entire vehicle on a single slider along a rock, even if tires aren't touching the ground. Because of that required robustness, they also serve as excellent jacking points in most cases.

Side steps are for stepping into the vehicle and handy for roof access, so they make living with the vehicle a lot easier day to day - but they are still very useful for mild off-road so long as you see them as 'sacrificial'; a proverbial canary in your off-road coal mine. They are usually quite cheap and bend-able, which means they can serve as an excellent 'early warning system' for your rig if you bite off more than you can chew. It is what I currently have, and they are bent all to heck, but that was helpful to me when it happened as it was cheaper and easier than doing panel damage later on in the trail and it was a warning to back off and take a different route. Sometimes you can eyeball a breakover angle; sometimes you get it a little bit wrong. Steps are good warnings in this situation. I personally prefer sliders but the steps are what came with my current rig, hence I kind of accidentally discovered this 'early warning' benefit.

If you know you are going to be doing technical off road where you are likely to have the weight of the vehicle supported on it's edges instead of the wheels from time to time, the sliders are the way to go. But if you are primarily doing dirt roads or "green laning" with only the occasional jaunt into easy Off Road areas, the side steps can be super handy and preferable. They make living with the vehicle day to day and around town way more pleasant, and if you knock one off a rock or a stump, it'll bend, make a ton of noise, and generally let you know that the trail may be more technical than you are wanting.

I think the best thing for my personal grenadier will be sliders, but side steps are incredibly important as a safety feature, especially if you're keeping stuff on the roof. My plan however is that since they are tubular it should be very easy to design a small step that attaches to them to ease entry/exit and roof access - similar to what was posted on the Land Rover. The other option for roof access is a hinge step -- a folding foot peg that attaches to the hinge bolts -- which I've seen on some JKs, but a slider step is a lot more robust and easier to use and not as high to step to, so in my experience they are safer. The only other step for roof access at the sides tends to be tires, and in muddy terrain that's asking for a broken limb or torn ligament.

Back
Top Bottom