The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your newest toy!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
For just tooling around in the backcountry on trails and forest service roads itā€™s great. I bring it on most trips and once I set up a base camp, I go out and explore with it. Itā€™s not a dual-sport or adventure bike in regards to speed or power but if you ride within itā€™s limitations itā€™s perfect. I also thought about an electric alternative like an UBCO but didnā€™t want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. The 125 gets 100mpg and I strap two rotopacks on the back if needed. The problem, at least here in the states, is getting your hands on one, similar to a Grenadier.
Yes, same idea. Iā€™m thinking about it as a way to explore cities while leaving the vehicle parked up/secure on the outskirts.

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
Looks great! Thatā€™s a stove in the lower drawer? If you fit hubs with a stud pattern/wheels to match the Gren you might save yourself a spare. Youā€™re putting a RTT or solar on top?
Thanks, Iā€™m planning on putting an RTT on top. That is a stove in the drawer indeed.
Iā€™d like to have solar panels too but Iā€™m not sure where to fit them.

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
who makes that? looks awesome!
Icon auto in dubai and found it in this color as close to MM as there is. With a dobinson suspension too as found in the Suzuki jimny.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks, Iā€™m planning on putting an RTT on top. That is a stove in the drawer indeed.
Iā€™d like to have solar panels too but Iā€™m not sure where to fit them.
If itā€™s just for the fridge maybe a solar blanket is the way to go? Is it primarily for UAE/Oman use? I wonder if it might be worth insulating the fridge compartment, this will somewhat reduce power consumption in high ambient temps. Happy camping!

Reactions: Pfk

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
So tell me, with the Opinelā€™s - carbon or stainless and why?
aaah - this is up there with Stihl or Husq?

I am guessing you already know the pros and cons of carbon and stainless.

I like both, here's my no.9 carbon

Attachments

• IMG_9061.jpeg
    IMG_9061.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 30

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
If itā€™s just for the fridge maybe a solar blanket is the way to go? Is it primarily for UAE/Oman use? I wonder if it might be worth insulating the fridge compartment, this will somewhat reduce power consumption in high ambient temps. Happy camping!
Thanks! Exactly for the purpose you stated, uae , oman mainly, western region of ksa too hopefully in the future. My idea is the trailer for the bulk of the gear and the kids , the car for myself and the wife.
good idea for the insulation I will get that done, thanks . Iv been told a solar blanket is useful for light charging.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Hmmm only the basics, carbon harder, better edge, snap rather than bend, needs more looking after. Stainless better rust less maintenance.

Iā€™ve never owned one, but theyā€™ve often appealed as a simple straightforward lightweight choice as a camping knife.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In my mind, for the price they take some beating. If you lose one it's not going to hurt the pocket much (<Ā£20).

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dometic Go, 11lt water jug and rechargeable faucet.
View attachment 7808582
it's interesting to see how you prioritise and can fully understand, the need for hydration systems in Oz. Not an issue in this part of the world, worst comes to worst, open the window and stick a mug out.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmm only the basics, carbon harder, better edge, snap rather than bend, needs more looking after. Stainless better rust less maintenance.

Iā€™ve never owned one, but theyā€™ve often appealed as a simple straightforward lightweight choice as a camping knife.
Iā€™d go INOX if youā€™re going to eat with it otherwise carbon is great and will age with more character.
Itā€™ll need a protective layer of oil though and making it foodsafe/odourless/tasteless is a bit of a pfaff when otherwise a smear of pretty much any old oil will doā€¦

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks! Exactly for the purpose you stated, uae , oman mainly, western region of ksa too hopefully in the future. My idea is the trailer for the bulk of the gear and the kids , the car for myself and the wife.
good idea for the insulation I will get that done, thanks . Iv been told a solar blanket is useful for light charging.
Solar cells quickly see an efficiency drop when dusty, and when buying a rigid panel it would be worth checking for abrasion-resistant glass otherwise not sure how itā€™d go after a sandstorm. A decent blanket, battery plus your sunlight should be plenty for a fridge and lights. You might want to take a look at the Australian Redarc website, they have some tools to help you calculate what you need.

Reactions: Pfk

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
it's interesting to see how you prioritise and can fully understand, the need for hydration systems in Oz. Not an issue in this part of the world, worst comes to worst, open the window and stick a mug out.
Hah, yes water is critical here. My camper trailer has capacity for 180 litres of water

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score

Being an ex butcher, there is nothing better than carbon steel for getting an edge and keeping it. Corrosion is an issue but if kept dry helps. Love my No9 Opinel (y)

Local time
Reaction score
Nah thatā€™s not old Skool, this is old skool.

Well I think itā€™s an antique now.

It still has the brackets on for the old centre pull brakes šŸ˜‚
Literally just saw my neighbour on his. Loved these frames. I think mine were even older - A Marin Palisades and a Spcialized Streetstomper šŸ˜€

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:23 AM
Reaction score
So tell me, with the Opinelā€™s - carbon or stainless
Carbon for me.

Sharp like hell if treated right.

In our Kitchen, I introduced carbon knives. Yes, they can rust. But if you're only a bit attentive, they only get patina and turn dark grey. I have a sharpening steel and if I pull one of the knives two or three times over the steel, they go though tomatoes without having to hold the tomato at all.

My wife was first sceptical but now wants nothing else but her carbon knive - except when you have to tilt the knife very much. For such cases we still have some cheapo stainless knives. But they can never reach the sharpness of the carbons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom