The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Safari windows for safe ventilation

Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Right. I’m thinking of changing my order to include safari windows. IGgy, as she’s now named, will have a roof top tent and will be used for adventure travel; sleeping inside will be necessary when arctic cold, too windy or non-safe environments. The rear of our Utility version will allow sleeping and I’m concerned that ventilation is preferred. 

To ventilate by leaving windows open brings risk, either front or rear windows, so I’m thinking ventilate using the safari windows which being under the tent would be risk free. 

Any thoughts?

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
Seeing the prices quoted for Safari windows, I am probably not gonna spec them. I sleep exclusively in my car when traveling. My solution is a 3 way combo of

-  windows visors to avoid rain coming in
-  cracking windows down an inch and putting bug  netting over the doors
-  putting a battery operated fan on the grab handle to circulate air

works a treat

Igfan

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I’m also thinking of changing my order to add them. The flat part of the roof before the window section is ~80 inches which is enough room to fit a medium james baroud evasion. I think it would be a fun novel way for the kids to get to the tent ?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
> IGgy, as she’s now named

I thought about a name for the Grenadier as well. My idea was 'Gunvald'. But if you have never seen the crime series 'Inspector Beck' you can't get  the point.

;-)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine it without the safari windows. 
They are one of the best features and make it really stand out from the crowd.
Then again if you are overlanding in the desert there is no crowd. 
I am definitely getting them

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I agree on getting the windows.  Honestly I am excited for the windows and the rack.  Rack will provide enough shade with simply shifting your head over but you will still get the airflow.  Real question though is if you can remove the windows with the rack on.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
They are a must have.

Airflow, sunshine (in the cold season), camera platform, safari lookout, they are good for so many things.

And with a heat protection coating or foil they will be even better.

And they look really good.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Wrench in my plans:    "Maximises the ability to safely secure cargo on the roof or attach a wide range of accessories such as bike carriers, kayak mounts, jerry can holders or even a rooftop tent. When fitted, the Full-Length Roof Rack does not allow the Safari Windows to be tilted or removed."

I find this a little surprising considering the configurator shows pics of them open.  At least I am in the US and I am sure that someone will post some real info once they are available everywhere else.

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Why did I decide against the Safari windows.... sunroofs used to be fragile and a weak point and a possible entry point for water. They look great, but on the roof is the full length roof rack, so the Safari windows seem even more unnecessary.

3DDiY

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=AZGrenadier userid=8441494 postid=1332762932]Wrench in my plans:    "Maximises the ability to safely secure cargo on the roof or attach a wide range of accessories such as bike carriers, kayak mounts, jerry can holders or even a rooftop tent. When fitted, the Full-Length Roof Rack does not allow the Safari Windows to be tilted or removed."

I find this a little surprising considering the configurator shows pics of them open.  At least I am in the US and I am sure that someone will post some real info once they are available everywhere else.[/QUOTE]

most likely the windows can be tilted opened with the rack. But any accessory holder that clamps to the rack is also secured below and if over the safari windows can hinder them from being tilted open. Fully open would definitely not happen either way as it’s over the windows. 

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I hope that is the case. 

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks DaveB. I’m new to roof racks. I’m wondering how long it may be before Rhino, or others, may offer a greater range of roof rack offerings.The only thing I plan to pop on the roof is my Bundatop tent which is 85kg and 2.1m x1.35m in size…

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looking at various previous posts the flat part of the roof is 65-80 inches so 1,635 to 2,032 mm so you might be lucky with the tent

Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
Wrench in my plans: "Maximises the ability to safely secure cargo on the roof or attach a wide range of accessories such as bike carriers, kayak mounts, jerry can holders or even a rooftop tent. When fitted, the Full-Length Roof Rack does not allow the Safari Windows to be tilted or removed."

I find this a little surprising considering the configurator shows pics of them open. At least I am in the US and I am sure that someone will post some real info once they are available everywhere else.
Hi, I had a test drive in october and the sales agent told me as well it wasnt possible to open the windows with the standard Rhinorack on the roof. Some already chose to add a shorter rack afterwards... Im having windows and standard roofrack, maybe its possible to cut out a small bit of the rack in order to open the windows. However Ineos could have given this a bit more thought...

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
With a Frontrunner roof rack you can just leave out one of the traversal bars and the problem is solved.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, I had a test drive in october and the sales agent told me as well it wasnt possible to open the windows with the standard Rhinorack on the roof. Some already chose to add a shorter rack afterwards... Im having windows and standard roofrack, maybe its possible to cut out a small bit of the rack in order to open the windows. However Ineos could have given this a bit more thought...
They have a 3/4 rack under development at the moment
As the bars on that rack run from front to back cutting bits out might be difficult
One of the reasons I am looking at the frontrunner rack as the bars run across the vehicle and you can take the first few out so the windows work

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
They have a 3/4 rack under development at the moment
As the bars on that rack run from front to back cutting bits out might be difficult
One of the reasons I am looking at the frontrunner rack as the bars run across the vehicle and you can take the first few out so the windows work
I've ordered the roof bars, front one set well forward due to light bar, need a third ideally but would prefer a 3/4 rack and keep the light bar on the front one or mount in a different style.

Will see what 3/4 racks come along.

Back
Top Bottom