The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof rack with safari windows?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:18 PM
Reaction score
At Krah + Enders the display car had a plastic roof. It didn't feel like you can sit on it. You'd need a roof rack.

Are you sure it was plastic? The factory production pictures all look like steel, not sure it would take the rated weight if it is plastic.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can get a tray/flat-top (ALA the rhino rack) that would attach to the cross bars on offer, as opposed to the gutters on the vehicle? Although it would have limitations in terms of load weight, it may be a more versatile storage solution than cross bars themselves and would mean we are not milling around for the Rhino Rack 3/4 offering. However, it may be that such a product doesn’t exist.
You could take any of the Rhino Rack roof platforms and attach them to the cross bars

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:18 AM
Reaction score
Are you sure it was plastic?
Yes, definitely.

But you‘re probably still right with the stee!. I prosume that just the top most cover is a plastic panel. But you can not stand on the plastic without damaging it - at least with that display car. But there are the black rubber rails on top which seem to be much more rigid.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, definitely.

But you‘re probably still right with the stee!. I prosume that just the top most cover is a plastic panel. But you can not stand on the plastic without damaging it - at least with that display car. But there are the black rubber rails on top which seem to be much more rigid.
The entire roof is definitely steel (or aluminium), you can see it being welded in this Ineos factory video at 1:27

The video later shows it being painted from raw steel. Maybe the one you saw had been wrapped for some reason?

There also is a substantial cross beam/structure under the area behind the safari windows, you might still dent the roof skin with your butt cheeks but will be interesting to find out.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps it's a "display car" attribute only. But what we had seen was not metal. @Barney will for sure confirm.

I hope that it is metal for the final cars.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At Krah + Enders the display car had a plastic roof. It didn't feel like you can sit on it. You'd need a roof rack.
Really? There was a claimed ability to take 420 kg static (150 dynamic) directly on the roof, and pictures of a Grenadier with a whole pile of wood stacked up there.

bimmerteck

Reservation Holder
Local time
5:18 AM
Reaction score
I’m ordering mine with both, I can always remove the rack for shorter trips.

Have had a great experience with my prior rhino rack platform, I actually moved it from my FJ to my D1.

Attachments

• 1C8FF33E-B36B-4FA8-BFDA-0FC651A7A49E.jpeg
    1C8FF33E-B36B-4FA8-BFDA-0FC651A7A49E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 8D953C89-5244-4103-9270-382E84B00483.jpeg
    8D953C89-5244-4103-9270-382E84B00483.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Really? There was a claimed ability to take 420 kg static (150 dynamic) directly on the roof, and pictures of a Grenadier with a whole pile of wood stacked up there.
As I had written, there are the rubber rails which are sturdy. It was only platic in between the rails. But we don't know whether it's the final solution, it was a display car.

Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
As I had written, there are the rubber rails which are sturdy. It was only platic in between the rails. But we don't know whether it's the final solution, it was a display car.
Hi Max only the rear of the roof is finished with a "plastic" trim the rest is metal. I will try to find a pic for you

Last edited:

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
1,59m wide. 2,53m long. 60kg.
So the specs say the Gren has a 150kg static load rating when using this roof rack (100kg without). I wonder if this 60 kg is included in that 150kg, leaving 90kg usable or if it is actually a full 150kg usable...

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So the specs say the Gren has a 150kg static load rating when using this roof rack (100kg without). I wonder if this 60 kg is included in that 150kg, leaving 90kg usable or if it is actually a full 150kg usable...
Leaving you with 90kg when driving. That is why I am still struggling to put a full rack on when planning to cover 2/3 of it with my 70kg RTT later.
The 150kg is the dynamic max load. Static is 450kg.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Max only the rear of the roof is finished with a "plastic" trim the rest is metal. I will try to find a pic for you
That's probably true as @Barney and I only stood on the rear bumper and didn't enter the roof.

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Spoke with Rola Roof Racks at the Victorian Caravan & Camping Show yesterday. They have access to a Grenadier and have been designing a 3/4 length rack that might be mounted in a couple of ways.

they are designing for a gutter mount of course, but also are thinking about picking up the mounting bolts for the tie down rails and designing a bracket that comes off those.

he seemed to be the designer/engineer

he promised to keep me posted of developments, I told him there were plenty of people interested!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
Spoke with Rola Roof Racks at the Victorian Caravan & Camping Show yesterday. They have access to a Grenadier and have been designing a 3/4 length rack that might be mounted in a couple of ways.

they are designing for a gutter mount of course, but also are thinking about picking up the mounting bolts for the tie down rails and designing a bracket that comes off those.

he seemed to be the designer/engineer

he promised to keep me posted of developments, I told him there were plenty of people interested!
Nice. My only concern with Rola would be how robust they are. They seem to be set up more for the skiing and cycling set rather than something that could handle the rough and tumble.

Back
Top Bottom