The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rock sliders

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:58 PM
Reaction score
Fraid I'm not from Aus so thankfully don't have the problem of roos over here....

But it's probably better than nothing at all 😄

Also, it won't be long until the aftermarket roo bars come out for the Gren.

It's a shame roo bars (we call them bull bars even though we rarely have bulls jumping out in front of us) are banned in the UK 😭😭
It’s OK we Aussies call them bullbars as well. Roobars is more of a marketing thing I reckon.

Although I’ve hit a few roos but only ever came close to hitting a cow once.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It’s OK we Aussies call them bullbars as well. Roobars is more of a marketing thing I reckon.

Although I’ve hit a few roos but only ever came close to hitting a cow once.
Cowbar doesn't have the same machismo ring does it?
Trains called them cowcatchers...

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I saw the roo bar last week. I'm unclear how many actual roos have been part of the testing. I'm pretty sure if you nail a decent one it will bend back and hit the body work.

I'm also concerned about whether you'll be able to straighten it by hooking up a big rope to a tree and persuading it back. Might be a problem if you hit two on a trip.

Having said that it looks great and I'll probably get it anyway. :D
Pretty confident it will give decent protection against a moderate hit and importantly looks substantial enough to protect radiator and allow you to proceed which is the critical bit. A big hit will damage even the full sized bars and usually means the bar needs replacement these days. The advantage of the OEM one is that the bumper and the bar is all modular and can be replaced in bits, loopd one bit, bumper 3 bits or more.

Last edited:

caalm

Production/Transit
Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
No badger bars either?
No
They're illegal unless they have the right certificate.... otherwise they can cause injuries to pedestrians 🤨 they shouldn't be in front of me when I'm driving along!!

It's basically just the plastic ones nowadays....but if you 'need one for a winch' that's fine 😉😁

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:58 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have the height of the driver's seat base from the ground? Is it much different/higher than a new defender, jeep rubicon, or bronco sasquatch?

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have the height of the driver's seat base from the ground? Is it much different/higher than a new defender, jeep rubicon, or bronco sasquatch?
Don´t know the height exactly. But it is lower than my Toyo. My girl friend (1.55m) entered it without a problem. I have banged my head by entering (the roof!). Cannot be that high. :unsure:

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Don´t know the height exactly. But it is lower than my Toyo. My girl friend (1.55m) entered it without a problem. I have banged my head by entering (the roof!). Cannot be that high. :unsure:
Thanks. If no one knows this yet I will ask one of the first deliveries to measure.

Local time
Reaction score
I don't know the measurement, but it is definitely lower than a Bronco with the Sasquatch package, which comes with 35-inch tires. It is also lower than my Tacoma, which has a 2-inch suspension lift and 33-inch tires. As I recall, it was a little higher than my wife's stock 4-Runner. My guess is that it is about the same (plus or minus a little) as a standard Jeep Rubicon (which comes on 33-inch tires). Perhaps not very helpful - but that's all I've got :)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Print a side picture get a ruler and knowing the vehicle height , some grade 6 maths should answer the question 🙂
That's what I did!

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Print a side picture get a ruler and knowing the vehicle height , some grade 6 maths should answer the question 🙂
That's what I did!
yep - if you have done the math can you kindly share? Thanks!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
A millimeter is, like, a thousand meters right? And a thousand meters is about the length of a football field - yeah? And we would be talking real football, not the round ball game. :p
Aussie rules is real football. The contact one with no protective gear and no play acting 😉

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know the measurement, but it is definitely lower than a Bronco with the Sasquatch package, which comes with 35-inch tires. It is also lower than my Tacoma, which has a 2-inch suspension lift and 33-inch tires. As I recall, it was a little higher than my wife's stock 4-Runner. My guess is that it is about the same (plus or minus a little) as a standard Jeep Rubicon (which comes on 33-inch tires). Perhaps not very helpful - but that's all I've got :)

I just measured my new Defender and at the front of the seat base (highest point) it is 36 inches or 914 millimeters.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Just so I don't get accused of drawing the topic offroad , Tasmania was once part of Antarctica , totally different geology to mainland Australia.
About 2/3 if made of dolerite , a unique igneous rock which causes some $$$ problems with building of houses and roads.
So many places have lost the sandstone/mudstone capping (dolerite was intruded but not extruded in Jurassic times)
Hence the wisdom of rock sliders, for us.
Also it's very muddy at times, You get filthy stepping in and out of any car with a hint of side steps.
Even if we had an opera house , I wouldn't order side steps or puddle lamps.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
I saw the roo bar last week. I'm unclear how many actual roos have been part of the testing. I'm pretty sure if you nail a decent one it will bend back and hit the body work.

I'm also concerned about whether you'll be able to straighten it by hooking up a big rope to a tree and persuading it back. Might be a problem if you hit two on a trip.

Having said that it looks great and I'll probably get it anyway. :D
I thought the same with the side loop design. So I’ve ordered scrub bars to stiffen it right up.

If you hit a decent boomer you’ll end up with some panel and bonnet damage but as long as the coolers don’t get damaged it’s done it’s job.

Local time
Reaction score
Fraid I'm not from Aus so thankfully don't have the problem of roos over here....

But it's probably better than nothing at all 😄

Also, it won't be long until the aftermarket roo bars come out for the Gren.

It's a shame roo bars (we call them bull bars even though we rarely have bulls jumping out in front of us) are banned in the UK 😭😭
If you'd rather look away...

Bull bar straightening after roo strike

Back
Top Bottom