The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

REMOVAL OF THE HUMP ON THE DRIVERS SIDE RIGHT HAND DRIVE ONLY.

Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys as you right-hand drivers are aware the exhaust pipe protrudes into the foot well rather dramatically, this will cause your left leg to be raised compared to the right leg. this will most likely cause fatigue on long hauls. not sure what Grenadier was thinking since everything else is almost perfect except the ergonomics for the driver especially for those over 6 ft. I still have mine on order and expect mine to be on the second delivery to Australia. I am Ok with removing or modifying the front seat to give support under the leg just behind the knee. note I gather Jim Radcliff must be a shortarse.
Has anyone looked at the possibility of lowering or rerouting the exhaust pipe so the hump in the foot well can be removed.
There are a lot of smart people out there And I am sure there will be a solution.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Guys as you right-hand drivers are aware the exhaust pipe protrudes into the foot well rather dramatically, this will cause your left leg to be raised compared to the right leg. this will most likely cause fatigue on long hauls. not sure what Grenadier was thinking since everything else is almost perfect except the ergonomics for the driver especially for those over 6 ft. I still have mine on order and expect mine to be on the second delivery to Australia. I am Ok with removing or modifying the front seat to give support under the leg just behind the knee. note I gather Jim Radcliff must be a shortarse.
Has anyone looked at the possibility of lowering or rerouting the exhaust pipe so the hump in the foot well can be removed.
There are a lot of smart people out there And I am sure there will be a solution.
Ratcliffe actually is quite tall. I was informed recaro had experts in ergonomics for that design. Also apparently to reroute the exhaust is possible, apparently the different path added 10cm of pipe but then changes the tooling/stamping of floor pans and it was all too much. I'm sure mods can happen but I wouldn't be touching till after warranty

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But give it time. Some experts will emerge in redoing the exhaust, cutting and re welding the floor and a new floor insert to be installed. Well im hoping so anyway. 🤞

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
Well if Magna Steyr couldn't come up with a solution ......

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I guess each driver is different. But, i just don’t think it will be an issue. I drive lots of different vehicles on a regular basis, they all have radically different ergonomics, my body just adapts without a thought. After a week of ownership you’ll have forgotten all about it.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I guess each driver is different. But, i just don’t think it will be an issue. I drive lots of different vehicles on a regular basis, they all have radically different ergonomics, my body just adapts without a thought. After a week of ownership you’ll have forgotten all about it.
Show me one where the left and right resting plane is offset at the heel by 100mm, and we will see! I have seen RHD rests at 10 or 20mm offset... but one that actually lifts your leg off the squab is odd.
The RHD footrest is a big and well-known design flaw, and only individual users will be able to say if it is an 'issue or not'. For me personally, it's an pretty big issue and the biggest problem with my overall take on the vehicle, it was uncomfortable as any foot position I have driven in any vehicle - I took the PT02 on 3x test drives. However, I will try and turn a blind eye and ignore it as best I can. If it really upsets my hip and long haul, I will sell it.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In an auto my left foot sits at an angle somewhere behind the brake pedal to left knee kicks out to the left towards the centre console, as if I was sitting partially cross legged. it doesn’t really move much from there.

Local time
Reaction score
Ratcliffe actually is quite tall. I was informed recaro had experts in ergonomics for that design. Also apparently to reroute the exhaust is possible, apparently the different path added 10cm of pipe but then changes the tooling/stamping of floor pans and it was all too much. I'm sure mods can happen but I wouldn't be touching till after warranty
Thank you that's what I want to hear. as for the experts from Recaro I would question their expertise and I did write to them regarding the ergonomics for 6 ft plus drivers with no reply. There are plenty of concerns on Youtube from persons with the same issues even my dealer on our inspection day agreed that it only affected really tall people as the seats do not have 8-way control only 6-way. I will ask grenadier if I can modify the exhaust and floor plan without affecting the warranty. I can see people customising their Grenadiers to make them personal. As for that hump in the foot well it's atrocious try driving with one leg 4" higher than the other.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you that's what I want to hear. as for the experts from Recaro I would question their expertise and I did write to them regarding the ergonomics for 6 ft plus drivers with no reply. There are plenty of concerns on Youtube from persons with the same issues even my dealer on our inspection day agreed that it only affected really tall people as the seats do not have 8-way control only 6-way. I will ask grenadier if I can modify the exhaust and floor plan without affecting the warranty. I can see people customising their Grenadiers to make them personal. As for that hump in the foot well it's atrocious try driving with one leg 4" higher than the other.
Try not resting your foot on it.

Local time
Reaction score
Show me one where the left and right resting plane is offset at the heel by 100mm, and we will see! I have seen RHD rests at 10 or 20mm offset... but one that actually lifts your leg off the squab is odd.
The RHD footrest is a big and well-known design flaw, and only individual users will be able to say if it is an 'issue or not'. For me personally, it's an pretty big issue and the biggest problem with my overall take on the vehicle, it was uncomfortable as any foot position I have driven in any vehicle - I took the PT02 on 3x test drives. However, I will try and turn a blind eye and ignore it as best I can. If it really upsets my hip and long haul, I will sell it.
Check out the latest Ytube goes 30 min he explains it in detail.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Check out the latest Ytube goes 30 min he explains it in detail.
8 or 9 of the UK press reviewers raised this as an issue. It is certainly well covered. Most would know here it's my No.1 bugbear: it infuriates me that 'design' would get to this point for such a long-awaited car. Sadly, it was in the PT01 test vehicle, and they couldn't 'design it out' after 2 years which really irks me - laziness and an unwillingness to be better. I would fire all involved if it was my company. I put it in the safe basket as "the tiler didn't lay the tiles flat, and it must be someone elses problem...".

TASSIE - THEY GOT ME STARTED AGAIN!!!

Local time
Reaction score
Seeing some of the clips drivers are sitting in a very upright position, which drags the feet back towards the seat, it may not be as big an issue as first suggested.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Seeing some of the clips drivers are sitting in a very upright position
And too close to the wheel . A sure sign of a nervous inexperienced operator.
Or one whose senses are failing.
Just because you're a journalist doesn't mean you're a great driver!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:55 PM
Reaction score
I'm not going to spend any brain time on it until I drive it, all this is" just pie in the sky" stuff. If it was such a BIG issue it would have been rectified one would think.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not going to spend any brain time on it until I drive it, all this is" just pie in the sky" stuff. If it was such a BIG issue it would have been rectified one would think.
This guy was big but he didn't find it an issue either
Great show that was.
pie-in-the-sky.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
But give it time. Some experts will emerge in redoing the exhaust, cutting and re welding the floor and a new floor insert to be installed. Well im hoping so anyway. 🤞

8 or 9 of the UK press reviewers raised this as an issue. It is certainly well covered. Most would know here it's my No.1 bugbear: it infuriates me that 'design' would get to this point for such a long-awaited car. Sadly, it was in the PT01 test vehicle, and they couldn't 'design it out' after 2 years which really irks me - laziness and an unwillingness to be better. I would fire all involved if it was my company. I put it in the safe basket as "the tiler didn't lay the tiles flat, and it must be someone elses problem...".

TASSIE - THEY GOT ME STARTED AGAIN!!!
Looks like you and I are on the same page. being 6'3 only exasperates the problem. I am here to find a solution as my Grenadier is not far away I hope. and I reckon its an awesome vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom