The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Removable draw system

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
I've often thought what will be the 'actual' cost of buying an IG?

How many exasperated looks, nights away, gifts bought will it all end up at???

Still not come up with a realistic figure....

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
By the way, are there also women here in the forum who have ordered a Grenadier? I would find that really great! I have met women who have deliberately bought a Defender and drive it out of complete conviction.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
That was a good one! 😂

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m interested in something low profile that makes for a flat floor when the back seats are down. Not looking for a ‘bed’, just something to secure things like a camera gear and not take up much room.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I’m interested in something low profile that makes for a flat floor when the back seats are down. Not looking for a ‘bed’, just something to secure things like a camera gear and not take up much room.
I think they might be really popular. A set of draws that allow for a fully flat load bay when the seats are down would be perfect. Or even a low shelf unit so you could slide stuff under the raised floor.

SoLu

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Ahhh, prudence please with the wife jokes. Isn’t it our wives who ultimately give us their final blessing to purchase the Grenadier in the first place?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Ahhh, prudence please with the wife jokes. Isn’t it our wives who ultimately give us their final blessing to purchase the Grenadier in the first place?
Not in my house I don't need her permission and then again she doesn't need mine either.

I showed her what I was buying.
She loves it and made some recommendations on what colours she liked.
How we pay for it is my problem

On the other hand when she needed a new car she decided what she wanted, we went and found the car she wanted.
how we paid for it was my problem.

Common sense prevails though, neither of us would go with something we are pretty sure the other would not want.

She likes quirky cars with a bit of character so the mini cooper clubman below was perfect of her.
The Grenadier perfect for me.

35 years of marriage does make this sort of thing easier though.

1664863780707.png

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
I am looking at getting or making a removable draw system that is held in place with the utility rails.
I have had virtually no experience with draw systems
I would prefer to adapt to a standard system if possible so I can take advantage of what is readily available.
My preference would be something I could install when needed within about 30 minutes.
I have found a variety of options but they are all based on a permanent install and they all look pretty similar
I am not going camping but want to have a fridge/freezer and a couple of drawers.
As my wife is pretty short at 4'11" or 150cm, so not sure if I will need a drop own fridge bracket or just a slide out.
Probably one or two drawers as well
It would be good to have a variety of drawers so I can fit whatever I need for that trip easily
Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations???

View attachment 7794252 View attachment 7794253View attachment 7794254
View attachment 7794255View attachment 7794257

Dave,

I would suggest that GooseGear will be one of the front-runners when it comes to drawer units for these things, with ARB close behind. However, both cost an arm and a leg, and may not be as removeable as you'd like.

If you can use a handsaw and a drill, though, you can make your own in an afternoon if you are willing to spend around $100 on a thing called a Kreg Jig. For building boxes out of plywood, nothing is better. Here's what I suggest/plan on doing:

1) Figure out the size of your whole unit, where the fridge will go, how many drawers, etc. From there, "unfold" your design to figure out how many pieces of wood you need, and what sizes - just like geometry class from back in the day!

2) Go to your local hardware store with a wee bit of cash or a case of beer or something, and find someone in the lumber section to give your cut list to. They will often cut, but their willingness to cut lots is higher if you bring beer or cash. See if you can convince them to make all your cuts for you.

3) Bring everything home and use your Kreg Jig to drill all the holes you need.

4) Glue and screw the whole thing together.

5) for drawer slides, I'm currently using HDPE plastic runners in my truck; these drawers are 4' long and are full to the brim, but they slide like butter on these plastic runners. Lee Valley Tools sells this stuff in 4' strips. Don't over complicate it with things like lockout heavy duty drawer slides.

6) Optional - drill holes with a 6" hole saw in the body of the box to save weight; you can take out a lot of material with strategically placed grid pattern of circular holes without compromising strength.

7) Optional - use spray adhesive and carpet to give it a "finished" look. Bed Liner - like Raptor Liner or LineX - is also a good option.

In your case, you want it to be removeable, so you have two choices for the attachment:

1) make it narrower than your utility tracks, and use an eye bolt on each corner of your box, connected down into eye bolts on the track using a ratchet strap. You can always make the "top" of your box a bit bigger to have a larger upper storage platform too, with the eye bolts attached underneath.

2) Or, make the whole box wider than the utility tracks, but cut oval holes (3-4 inches long) in the base of your box that line up with those tracks. You can then use a bolt with a track head to slide into the utility tracks, which then goes through the oval cut in your box, and then through a piece of flatbar that is perpendicular to the oval cut, with a nut to clamp the underside down to the tracks from inside your box.

I can whip up some drawings of the above to better illustrate the ideas I had; I anticipate it'll take me about a weekend to do a box for the back of my grenadier. I do recommend a drop-down fridge slide; they are way cheaper to buy than to make. But the box itself is the kind of thing you could probably make for under $400, but it would easily cost you $1500-$3k to buy aftermarket so that's a steal of a deal really.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dave,

I would suggest that GooseGear will be one of the front-runners when it comes to drawer units for these things, with ARB close behind. However, both cost an arm and a leg, and may not be as removeable as you'd like.

If you can use a handsaw and a drill, though, you can make your own in an afternoon if you are willing to spend around $100 on a thing called a Kreg Jig. For building boxes out of plywood, nothing is better. Here's what I suggest/plan on doing:

1) Figure out the size of your whole unit, where the fridge will go, how many drawers, etc. From there, "unfold" your design to figure out how many pieces of wood you need, and what sizes - just like geometry class from back in the day!

2) Go to your local hardware store with a wee bit of cash or a case of beer or something, and find someone in the lumber section to give your cut list to. They will often cut, but their willingness to cut lots is higher if you bring beer or cash. See if you can convince them to make all your cuts for you.

3) Bring everything home and use your Kreg Jig to drill all the holes you need.

4) Glue and screw the whole thing together.

5) for drawer slides, I'm currently using HDPE plastic runners in my truck; these drawers are 4' long and are full to the brim, but they slide like butter on these plastic runners. Lee Valley Tools sells this stuff in 4' strips. Don't over complicate it with things like lockout heavy duty drawer slides.

6) Optional - drill holes with a 6" hole saw in the body of the box to save weight; you can take out a lot of material with strategically placed grid pattern of circular holes without compromising strength.

7) Optional - use spray adhesive and carpet to give it a "finished" look. Bed Liner - like Raptor Liner or LineX - is also a good option.

In your case, you want it to be removeable, so you have two choices for the attachment:

1) make it narrower than your utility tracks, and use an eye bolt on each corner of your box, connected down into eye bolts on the track using a ratchet strap. You can always make the "top" of your box a bit bigger to have a larger upper storage platform too, with the eye bolts attached underneath.

2) Or, make the whole box wider than the utility tracks, but cut oval holes (3-4 inches long) in the base of your box that line up with those tracks. You can then use a bolt with a track head to slide into the utility tracks, which then goes through the oval cut in your box, and then through a piece of flatbar that is perpendicular to the oval cut, with a nut to clamp the underside down to the tracks from inside your box.

I can whip up some drawings of the above to better illustrate the ideas I had; I anticipate it'll take me about a weekend to do a box for the back of my grenadier. I do recommend a drop-down fridge slide; they are way cheaper to buy than to make. But the box itself is the kind of thing you could probably make for under $400, but it would easily cost you $1500-$3k to buy aftermarket so that's a steal of a deal really.
Due to my daughters divorce I had to convert my 112 square metre workshop/storeroom into a 3 bed apartment for her and my grandson 4 years ago. I have since added a 27 square metre workshop on the side. It is a bit cramped. I have drop saw, mitre saw, jigsaw, router, etc. By the time the Grenadier arrives I will have moved to a new house and have a 256 square metre shed and hardstand. 56 square metres of this will be my workshop and I will build some work benches and shelving. I am busy at work all week but the weekends will be spent either in the Grenadier or building/tinkering with something for it.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> 56 square metres of this will be my workshop

Lucky man. Mine is just 14 m² ... very cramped.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterday we met with our Real Estate agent and told her to sell our house here on the Gold Coast.
They think we will get between $2-2.5 Million for it.

As soon as that happens we will move to our holiday house, which is on a 20 Metre wide x 60 Metre deep block of flat land.
By building the large shed we can build a much smaller/cheaper house as we won't need to add a triple garage, office for me, storage space etc.
The shed will cost about $70,000 but it will save $150,000 on the cost of the house.

We will have a shower/toilet and an office/bedroom in the shed so we can live in it while the house is being built
I will insulate and line the shed and wall off half so I can add air-conditioning.
Large ceiling fans all over the shed as it will be 30-40 degrees for half the year

The other benefit is that I can pay cash for the Grenadier.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterday we met with our Real Estate agent and told her to sell our house here on the Gold Coast.
They think we will get between $2-2.5 Million for it.

As soon as that happens we will move to our holiday house, which is on a 20 Metre wide x 60 Metre deep block of flat land.
By building the large shed we can build a much smaller/cheaper house as we won't need to add a triple garage, office for me, storage space etc.
The shed will cost about $70,000 but it will save $150,000 on the cost of the house.

We will have a shower/toilet and an office/bedroom in the shed so we can live in it while the house is being built
I will insulate and line the shed and wall off half so I can add air-conditioning.
Large ceiling fans all over the shed as it will be 30-40 degrees for half the year

The other benefit is that I can pay cash for the Grenadier.
Goodbye Goldie

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Goodbye Goldie
Yeah unfortunately it is too crowded now for us. Plus we have to take advantage of the crazy house prices at the moment to sell our house and be completely debt free. My wife turns 63 in two weeks and is retiring and I turn 60 in December. The Grenadier was going to be my 60th birthday present to myself but not getting here in time. Selling the house will now have to do.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
Thats a good call, @DCPU. I hadn't thought of that as I've always found the boxes that I wanted were often cost prohibitive. I love the Zarges aluminum cases for their robustness, but they are several hundred dollars each; by the time I had enough for my things, I was into ARB drawer territory. We do use Pelicans from time to time, but they are upcycled -- buying new ones is also a bit cost prohibitive, and they are much heavier than the Zarges cases.

But, if those kinds of cases can be had for cheaper (as is the case in most of the world, it seems!) your idea is a really good one. Very versatile.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thats a good call, @DCPU. I hadn't thought of that as I've always found the boxes that I wanted were often cost prohibitive. I love the Zarges aluminum cases for their robustness, but they are several hundred dollars each; by the time I had enough for my things, I was into ARB drawer territory. We do use Pelicans from time to time, but they are upcycled -- buying new ones is also a bit cost prohibitive, and they are much heavier than the Zarges cases.

But, if those kinds of cases can be had for cheaper (as is the case in most of the world, it seems!) your idea is a really good one. Very versatile.
So maybe you find something here

Back
Top Bottom