The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Red Winch - Integrated Front Winch - User Manual

Local time
9:44 PM
Reaction score
I am nothing like ASPW and am not a Saffer. ARB is an Australian company and we use tons of their products and you also don’t need to integrate with crash safety stuff here either aftermarket (you do have to comply with Austrian Design Rules, but they are much lighter than OE vehicle type approval rules) but you do as supplied OE. Although it’s always a good thing if it is safer. If ARB makes a bar for the Grenadier no doubt many Australian Grenadiers will sport their bars with Warn winches. Red winches are not well known at the consumer level here either but are very well known and respected in the competition community. My point os merely that there are solid reasons why the OE winches are the configuration they are. Nobody saying you can’t or shouldn’t do something different aftermarket if you prefer.

ARB is from Australia?? :geek:;)
Ronny Dahl makes it well known in his videos how much engineering, safety testing, airbag compliance ARB puts into their products. It's all valid. Too many bumper mfr's in the USA who have no regard for proper engineering (no American Design Rules here in the USA).

My perspective; IA engineers didn't spend more time to find a solution to allow a larger winch drum/longer line; maybe the bean counters capped their engineering hours. <shrug> There is the intercooler setup that could cause some issues yes. Their bumper/winch setup looks nice and compact against the IG, just disappointing that there's only 13m of winch line to work with.

Have a good day mate.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
ARB is from Australia?? :geek:;)
Ronny Dahl makes it well known in his videos how much engineering, safety testing, airbag compliance ARB puts into their products. It's all valid. Too many bumper mfr's in the USA who have no regard for proper engineering (no American Design Rules here in the USA).

My perspective; IA engineers didn't spend more time to find a solution to allow a larger winch drum/longer line; maybe the bean counters capped their engineering hours. <shrug> There is the intercooler setup that could cause some issues yes. Their bumper/winch setup looks nice and compact against the IG, just disappointing that there's only 13m of winch line to work with.

Have a good day mate.
ARB... Anthony Ronald Brown...started fabricating 4wd stuff in his parents' garage in the late 70s in Melbourne Australia....(not Melbourne Florida 🤣)

Local time
Reaction score
ARB... Anthony Ronald Brown...started fabricating 4wd stuff in his parents' garage in the late 70s in Melbourne Australia....(not Melbourne Florida 🤣)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::rolleyes: You Aussie's act like us American's don't know isht about the 4WD/4x4/overland/touring global world.

Yes, very familiar with what ARB stands for, where it's located, what they do, their provenance, etc...us Americans aren't all 'Mericans living in swamps and pulling out alligators for dinner with our 1976 Chevy truck, chrome twin-nerf light bar w/ KC HiLites, jacked up on 44" Interco SuperSwampers.

I'll say it, unless the factory winch is a specifically stellar financial deal, I think I'll pass and just await a winch mount to be created for the OE bumper shell, which should be in no time at all really; and put one of those boat anchors or ComeUp's in there....

$4085 installed for Red 11k winch, with only 43' of line?! Ha! Umm, it might be a great winch, but not a "stellar financial deal."

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score
Americans aren't all 'Mericans living in swamps and pulling out alligators for dinner with our 1976 Chevy truck, chrome twin-nerf light bar w/ KC HiLites, jacked up on 44" Interco SuperSwampers.
I'm more of a Ford guy, but I see nothing wrong with this (granted it's a 77):

25351795-1977-chevrolet-silverado-thumb.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
I'm more of a Ford guy, but I see nothing wrong with this (granted it's a 77):

25351795-1977-chevrolet-silverado-thumb.jpg

Ditto. :cool:
I don't either (reminds me of the blue one John drove in CHiPS), but seems that some others around the world forgot that us Americans are passionate about getting out "into the bush" in European rigs like they are.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Deep tracks only... What a solid reference!

:cool: Oh how I loved that show. Followed by The Price is Right! 80s rock.

Back to the Red winch...labor for installing/wiring a winch is probably $500 to do it right. Winches are typically $1900 shipped for a quality winch. So yeah, the factory option is going to be more $ than aftermarket, and the factory warranty covering a winch has value too. Winch pricing is just ~$1000 more than I was expecting to see.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ditto. :cool:
I don't either (reminds me of the blue one John drove in CHiPS), but seems that some others around the world forgot that us Americans are passionate about getting out "into the bush" in European rigs like they are.
Yes but are you really grasping the essentials… Thai Sticky Rice, for example?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::rolleyes: You Aussie's act like us American's don't know isht about the 4WD/4x4/overland/touring global world.

Yes, very familiar with what ARB stands for, where it's located, what they do, their provenance, etc...us
Internet forums aren’t good for avoiding misunderstandings. The way you had written your previous it looked like you were implying we weren’t familiar with putting ARB bars and warn winches on our vehicles.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
us Americans aren't all 'Mericans living in swamps and pulling out alligators for dinner with our 1976 Chevy truck, chrome twin-nerf light bar w/ KC HiLites, jacked up on 44" Interco SuperSwampers.
Well I've learnt something new today!
I really should stop watching TV 😁

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
:cool: Oh how I loved that show. Followed by The Price is Right! 80s rock.

Back to the Red winch...labor for installing/wiring a winch is probably $500 to do it right. Winches are typically $1900 shipped for a quality winch. So yeah, the factory option is going to be more $ than aftermarket, and the factory warranty covering a winch has value too. Winch pricing is just ~$1000 more than I was expecting to see.
Based on Australian prices for ARB and Warn and based on Toyota 70 series as they don’t have INEOS yet.
Winch bar fitted: $2642 (aftermarket winch won’t go in IG bar)
Warn Zeon 12,000lb winch $2363
Fitting charge $231
rope and fitting sundries $1500
Total $6736.
Plus front suspension upgrade $1500
Total $8236

Grenadier winch (includes front suspension upgrade)
$5,705

So it stacks up and you get 5 year warranty.
To be fair I will add the INEOS bullbar as its an extra you would get with ARB
$2,070
Total
$7,775

Ok so you only get 13m of rope and for various reasons you might prefer the aftermarket option. All very fair. But it really isn’t accurate to say that the INEOS offering is not priced competitively.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes but are you really grasping the essentials… Thai Sticky Rice, for example?
Thanks for this ... although an "advertorial" I found it quite informative... I estimated he must be close to 4+ ton all up and when you have "lotza"space, there's a tendency to fill it (like a shed). I am wondering if he really needed all the stuff ...but good on him! I'm impressed as to how he recognised a market niche, started as a cottage industry in a country town and built a substantial enterprise with excellent brand recognition and has expanded interstate... (y)
(Rather than sticky Thai rice...sticky date pudding is more my thing:devilish: !!)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
Yep, good for him. Do things your way.

Ps, think Batman would be envious of his belt!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's pretty common practice to actually cut the winch line down (assuming synthetic rope) on "traditional" winches, and keep the extra bit as a "free" winch line extension, for those rare scenarios when you do need >50ft of reach.
That must be a thing where you are. Not here.

What winches have options for short drums? Those that offer options are always bigger.

How are you doing a double or triple line pull with a joint in your line to get through a pulley?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Firstly the Grenadier winch isnt the commercially available one you are referencing, secondly the line length and drum size is dictated by the space you have available to fit it not by safety regulations. The safety regulations are likely what dictated the placement and subsequently the size of the space. They put as much rope on as they could fit in the space.
I'm curious to know if the engineers looked at and discounted other placements for the winch that would have allowed a less compromised line length.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That must be a thing where you are. Not here.

What winches have options for short drums? Those that offer options are always bigger.

How are you doing a double or triple line pull with a joint in your line to get through a pulley?
Not ideal, but you can still do the double line pull depending on how you rig it, but you will still be limited to the 13m maximum pull length or the maximum distance between the vehicle and the pulley whichever is less.. The join has to be on the vehicle side of the pulley, fine if you just need to get out of a hole, not going to be great If you have to get up a whole mountain.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There isn’t room inside the Grenadier bumper for a larger drum or longer rope.
If I may qualify your statement with "and still meet type approval/pedestrian safety standards"; and that seems to be the advantage of the aftermarket who can whip out the centre section of the existing bumper (enabled by Ineos deliberately designing it this way) and suddenly have loads of space for a normal sized winch.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has this been tested/confirmed by the aftermarket as of yet? ComeUp specifically makes a slim winch for reasons like this, that still has a normal line length
They need to have an anorexic winch to fit in the same space as the Red one.

Back
Top Bottom