The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Real Names on Profile.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if we should have everyone put their real names on their profile.
Maybe if people can't hide behind fake names, or made up words, then they wouldn't continue to post bullshit and negative stuff.
Leave that sort of stuff to the many Facebook pages

Just a thought!

Norville

Reservation Holder
Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
The thing is, even FB can't truly eliminate fake names. Not sure how enforcement would be, in the end, short of driving people away with needing issued IDs, etc. Otherwise the influx of Ben Dovers and Mike Hunts.

Last edited:

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
If you work in a senior position in a Fortune 500 you typically sign a contract which means if you post anything that in any way could reflect badly on your company - you’re out. Everything I post under my name - usually LinkedIn has gone through comms approval - I’ve stopped posting on Facebook except the utterly banal. Using a pseudonym allows me to be me

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
Real names would require a check of the chosen name - which is only possible with a certified document by some authority and for sure not GDPR compliant.

And you can't stop assholes that way. Common sense is the only weapon against them.

Forget it.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully when we all meet up someday we can shake the screen names. There might be some disappointment though, for example if emax says his name is Cyril von Smith the III then he will always be emax to me!

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
I would pose the question;

Where is all the BS ? I see negative comments, but people have a right to be moaning a little over the current situation IMO.

What I haven’t seen is anything hateful toward other users or IA. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I don’t read every post.

Real names will do nothing to change what I currently see comments wise, as I don’t think we have any real keyboard warriors on here……yet

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
I would pose the question;

Where is all the BS ? I see negative comments, but people have a right to be moaning a little over the current situation IMO.

What I haven’t seen is anything hateful toward other users or IA. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I don’t read every post.

Real names will do nothing to change what I currently see comments wise, as I don’t think we have any real keyboard warriors on here……yet
Judging by all the people here I would conclude we are all "on the spectrum" - of reasonably sane humanity.
I couldn't say that about any of the FB groups though.

Joerg

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I was wondering if we should have everyone put their real names on their profile.
Maybe if people can't hide behind fake names, or made up words, then they wouldn't continue to post bullshit and negative stuff.
Leave that sort of stuff to the many Facebook pages

Just a thought!
Always trust that the Grenadier Family are special . Let’s hope the FB behaviour will not approach as it will definitely make me leave the forum
So far all comments I have seen where ok or very positive

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
I think that someone going Facebook style here would quickly meet resistance from the community.

For once, I trust in the intelligence of the swarm.

Norville

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Sometime in the next x months or years, if someone turns up outside my house in their new grenadier I'll say come in ....tea, coffee, beer?
Want a sandwich?
As I am sure most here will
That's much more hospitable than Facebook groups offer to take an angle grinder to the RH Quasimodo hump or to offer a hobo spit shine to the wiper dead zone.

In all seriousness though, most forums are pretty decent communities and the IG FB groups are better than most (I'm in two of them at the moment and haven't ditched them, yet).

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sometime in the next x months or years, if someone turns up outside my house in their new grenadier I'll say come in ....tea, coffee, beer?
Want a sandwich?
I listed myself in the @emax Google Earth KMF thread. Swing by any time.

There's a thing that's been a thing for years in the BMW motorcycling community. It used to be called "the anonymous book" and was just a city, state and phone number. You'd put in what you had available, from Coffee n Conversation to guy with a trailer if you're in need, to full blown service bay garage and overnight accommodations. I think it's just online now, but the same thing, rather than a print book to carry in your saddle bag.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
Want a sandwich?
I came to this forum last year as Donkadonk. Not badonkadonk, which I have discovered is something entirely different according to the modern urban dictionary. I've been lurking here mostly. Sitting in the wings observing and filtering, as you do.
Out of consideration for @DaveB's suggestion I have changed my username to @Clark Kent. It's a real name and not a made up word. It's not my real name though. Am I being a smarta$$? Maybe, not intentionally. But like @acwiltshire said: sometimes people do turn up outside your house. Which is what happened to me years ago because of a reader comment I contributed to a national safety magazine. My comment was printed with my real name and location (my permission was not sought or given). It wasn't an inflammatory comment or it would not have been printed. Nevertheless one special dude wanted to be offended and he turned up at my door uninvited one night to set me straight. It wasn't pleasant. So now I apply a little anonimity to my participation in special interest groups like this one. It's not to shed responsibility for my behaviour; I'm a 55yo professional with 35 years in the aviation industry; it's because I cannot reliably predict the behaviour of others online. Respect and civility have been hallmarks of this forum so far and I don't think real names are necessary for that to continue.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
People (nowadays especially) need to hide behind aliases because of fear of retribution from the woke leftists and the same populist governments (now Australia). That is just how society had poorly manifested. If I knew critique, exposure and accountability was treated equally for all sides of the coin, then I would use my real name any day of the week in full. But until accountability is normalised and the crazies on the left are seen for what they are, then I'll just have to throw commentary from anonymity!

PS my name's "Rob" and I don't actually care what the left think not their crazy ideologies but many fear social persecution because they don't follow the flock. Bring it on you sheep - I say. Lamb for dinner.

PPS flame retardant suit is always on!

Back
Top Bottom