The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Radiator Screen

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score
Over years of travelling the whole of Australia, I have learnt that free radiator airflow takes great punishment from insects, leaves, feathers, grass, grass seeds, small rocks, sticks, mud and whatever else is allowed through the radiator. Problems can arise quickly if you run through long grass, hit a locust plague or a fluffy feathered bird for instance, or build up slowly over time as tiny insects etc. build up in the radiator fins. I have always run with radiator screen and never had a problem with radiator performance.
The Grenadier worries me in this respect as although it’s has screening, it would not be small enough to prevent grass, grass seed or insect penetration. Even small pebbles could possibly get through from passing vehicles. Also, those low slung coolers behind the bumper extremities are going to get a hard time in that position from grit and muck in water crossings, etc.
Anyway, today I made a screen for the main radiator - I will work on the others soon. I always use “Crimsafe” type stainless steel mesh as it is durable for the life of the vehicle. It’s not the easiest to work with, but worth the extra effort.
I always ensure it is easily removable if necessary for cleaning or other vehicle maintenance, and that it sits forward of the vehicle grille so even if the screen gets blocked, air can still be drawn behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_5992.jpeg
    IMG_5992.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_5038.jpeg
    IMG_5038.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 281

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
Well done! I have the same concerns, especially with the lower bumper-mounted units.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
Very nice! How do you attach the screen to the grill?

Cheers
Steve

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very nice! How do you attach the screen to the grill?

Cheers
Steve
It’s not attached to the grille but the bull bar. I cut the bottom to fit slots in the bull bar mount so it can’t move rearward there, and ran a strip of Neodymium Magnetic tape along the top which securely attaches it to the steel bull bar. That way, it is really easy to remove without tools for cleaning, cleaning of the vehicle grille or any maintenance and allows air flow behind it should it become clogged.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I should add, to ensure the did not part from the screen (it only has 3M tape on the back) I used a high strength silicon adhesive on the rear and worked it through the mesh to the back of the tape. That has worked a treat.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Over years of travelling the whole of Australia, I have learnt that free radiator airflow takes great punishment from insects, leaves, feathers, grass, grass seeds, small rocks, sticks, mud and whatever else is allowed through the radiator. Problems can arise quickly if you run through long grass, hit a locust plague or a fluffy feathered bird for instance, or build up slowly over time as tiny insects etc. build up in the radiator fins. I have always run with radiator screen and never had a problem with radiator performance.
The Grenadier worries me in this respect as although it’s has screening, it would not be small enough to prevent grass, grass seed or insect penetration. Even small pebbles could possibly get through from passing vehicles. Also, those low slung coolers behind the bumper extremities are going to get a hard time in that position from grit and muck in water crossings, etc.
Anyway, today I made a screen for the main radiator - I will work on the others soon. I always use “Crimsafe” type stainless steel mesh as it is durable for the life of the vehicle. It’s not the easiest to work with, but worth the extra effort.
I always ensure it is easily removable if necessary for cleaning or other vehicle maintenance, and that it sits forward of the vehicle grille so even if the screen gets blocked, air can still be drawn behind it.
Are you interested in selling a set?

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you interested in selling a set?
That stainless mesh took a lot of “measure ten times, cut once,” with the good old angle grinder and a special stainless jigsaw blade in the more tricky areas like around the winch control lever. It would probably be much easier second time round having the templates now, but still not something I would be keen to tackle in an hurry unless I had a workshop session with a mate and a cold slab!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That stainless mesh took a lot of “measure ten times, cut once,” with the good old angle grinder and a special stainless jigsaw blade in the more tricky areas like around the winch control lever. It would probably be much easier second time round having the templates now, but still not something I would be keen to tackle in an hurry unless I had a workshop session with a mate and a cold slab!
I am about 3 hours away from you and about a month short of receiving my Grenadier.
Probably 3-4 months away from my workshop being built.
Cold slabs on the other hand are readily available.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am about 3 hours away from you and about a month short of receiving my Grenadier.
Probably 3-4 months away from my workshop being built.
Cold slabs on the other hand are readily available.
Sounds like a plan to work on!🍻

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just the local Security door and screen place - they manufacture their own so had some off-cuts which were big enough to do the job. The guy was a 4WD enthusiast and most interested in the Grenadier, so I got them for a reasonable price.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have just seen this temporary bug screen clearly visible in this review on YouTube - anyone know who manufactures these and where we can buy them?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZnozamHeMw
I've been using flywire screen door/ window netting from the local Big GreenBox (Bunnings for our overseas friends.... like Home Depot) hardware store for years for this purpose. Excellent results. I double it over along the edges and insert stainless steel eyelets with a canvas hole punch and mandrel . Use cable ties and/ or cheap bungee cords to secure in place. ;)

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Offer the design to XHQ so we can all buy a set from them.

Back
Top Bottom