The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Experience Mechanicsville, Maryland First drive review

CJV

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
I test drove a Grenadier prototype yesterday at the Budds Creek motocross park in Mechanicsville, Maryland. It was a great event and after lo these many months and years, I was glad to get behind the wheel. My impressions are as follows:
  • Exterior – The vehicle has a wonderful stance with everything in proper scale.
  • Interior – Ample space. I had a passenger in the back seat who was quite comfortable. Brake and gas pedal are a little closer together than typical vehicles. Driver set-up is very upright.
  • Fit and finish - Construction and shop tolerances are excellent. The doors are heavy and set well. They did not let us open the hood, however (I always like to see how the hood shuts). No squeaks or shimmies when bouncing around the course.
  • 4WD Low – the course was limited to a 15-minute circuit over some steep dirt track inclines, down through a stream and over a grassy hill. Ran through six of the eight gears, excellent control. Despite the short drive, we did get to test it at some respectful approach, departure and ramp-over angles. I had the vehicle up to a 32-degree tilt.
  • Interior layout – No typical dash above the wheel, screen is in the center, very logical digital menu where you can access any command from no more than three taps of the screen. Some redundant controls on panel between the seats. Interior photographs were prohibited. The model I drove was prototype Trialmaster but did not have the locking mid and rear diffs.
The Grenadier reps and techs were generally forthcoming with information. I learned that there will be several stand-alone Ineos dealers in the Eastern US – Raleigh, NC, Washington D.C.- area and Philadelphia Area among them.

Attachments

• IMG_4919[1].JPG
    IMG_4919[1].JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4917[1].JPG
    IMG_4917[1].JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 78
Local time
Reaction score
I was there yesterday at 3:00. I’m glad I went. For various reasons I was leaning toward passing up and getting a refund, but, it impressed me enough, I think I’m now back on board.
At 6’4” the one regretful trait they kept from the Defender was the windshield sight line looking up.. I think I can live with it though.

I drove the blue trail, which is spec’d about how I’d want it, color and all. They did say I can’t get the factory rack with the sky lights. I may have to “work around” that somehow.

Local time
Reaction score
I was going to question the drivers seat. from many pics it looks very propped up and close to the windshield. it doesn't look like rocket seating where you can melt into it

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
I was going to question the drivers seat. from many pics it looks very propped up and close to the windshield. it doesn't look like rocket seating where you can melt into it
It's a 4wd light truck not a sports car or SUV
You are meant to sit more upright and taller than usual.

Local time
Reaction score
It's a 4wd light truck not a sports car or SUV
You are meant to sit more upright and taller than usual.

seating is key to vehicles like this. if done poorly it will make for an unpleasant ride. especially if you have back problems

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
seating is key to vehicles like this. if done poorly it will make for an unpleasant ride. especially if you have back problems
100% correct
Recaro seats
Sit more upright
Don't crank the seat back to a crazy recline that your back doesn't even touch.
Sit closer to the steering wheel than in a suv or sedan.

Reactions: Max
Local time
Reaction score
100% correct
Recaro seats
Sit more upright
Don't crank the seat back to a crazy recline that your back doesn't even touch.
Sit closer to the steering wheel than in a suv or sedan.
I wonder what a good driving comp to the IG is ? having owned an early issue usa Range Rover, Honda Element and a jeep. they were all different. the rr seating while comfortable was up high and the ride was always unstable, the element was high, upright and as I aged became very uncomfortable for my back. it was a hard rubber/vinyl material. from what I remember the jeep was just a bumpy truck ride and didn't suffer as much. but we're going back to the 80's and I can't remember.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder what a good driving comp to the IG is ? having owned an early issue usa Range Rover, Honda Element and a jeep. they were all different. the rr seating while comfortable was up high and the ride was always unstable, the element was high, upright and as I aged became very uncomfortable for my back. it was a hard rubber/vinyl material. from what I remember the jeep was just a bumpy truck ride and didn't suffer as much. but we're going back to the 80's and I can't remember.
This is the position I found comfortable and in control
Seat high, back touching the seat all the way up, arms fairly bent, left leg braced against the transmission tunnel and right against the door
Steering and throttle have a fairly large movement range so perfect for off road.

1683066308893.png
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPhsliR2mM

REOhio

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
On our visit to the Tampa, Florida event here in the US both my wife and I (she got to drive one too) felt like the IG drove very similarly to our Jeep Wrangler (4 door JK Unlimited). The front and rear seating space and positions, steering (including the lack of steering return), and footwell space were all much like what we've become accustomed to in the Wrangler. The overall feel of the IG however was much better. The suspension, throttle response, driver ergonomics, and sight lines were all far superior to the Jeep.

The seats felt more akin to many of the European sedans, coupes, and SUV's we've owned. A little more upright and a little less cushioned. We both agreed they've been designed well and would be fine for local trips, longer drives on pavement, and of course scrambling off road.

Local time
Reaction score
I was there yesterday at 3:00. I’m glad I went. For various reasons I was leaning toward passing up and getting a refund, but, it impressed me enough, I think I’m now back on board.
At 6’4” the one regretful trait they kept from the Defender was the windshield sight line looking up.. I think I can live with it though.

I drove the blue trail, which is spec’d about how I’d want it, color and all. They did say I can’t get the factory rack with the sky lights. I may have to “work around” that somehow.
Easy to work around...buy it sans rack, and then put whatever you want on it from either Rhino Rack (factory supplier) or Front Runner who both offer full-length and 2/3 length for use with the safari windows.

Local time
Reaction score
The seats are highly adjustable. From raised up, close and upright, to laid back and low for the wannabe gangstas with their hat sideways and a vape in their hand :LOL:. The steering wheel also had a decent (to me) ability to adjust both up/down and telescope. My leggy 5'-5" wife was super comfortable with it and the ability to crank the seat height up, while I had a ton of room to adjust in every direction while accommodating me at 5'-11". I also have a lower back typical of someone who skied way too many moguls when they were younger and (slightly) dumber and a crushed T7. My back would have zero issues driving it cross-country..

My complaint re: the seat is the horrid location of the recline lever. Though it's not something I plan to be adjusting regularly nor on the fly.

REOhio

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

I mean...it's better than me saying "My stumpy-torso wife", but...damn...I love me some Monty :LOL:
True! True! Leggy does sound better than stumpy. Wink, wink, Knudge, knudge. Say no more!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I too am 6'4" and felt the fit was perfect. I did not even come close to moving the seat all the way rearward. And to be completely honest, it felt like I was driving my old '96 Discovery. Pre-Order placed today!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Tom109 Hi. I’m from Jersey too. Are you in the ROVERS club out of PA?

Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
Looks good.

But why were you not allowed to open the hood. And why were interior photos banned?
lt's not a secret any more, the vehicle has been released worldwide and a couple of people round here received theirs a few weeks ago.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks good.

But why were you not allowed to open the hood. And why were interior photos banned?
lt's not a secret any more, the vehicle has been released worldwide and a couple of people round here received theirs a few weeks ago.

The underhood views were not allowed apparently because of the pre-production status of some of the items in the engine bay.

For the interior photos, because of the warning lights on the dash due to the PTO2 not being fully road legal and missing some components

Back
Top Bottom