The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Privacy Glass

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have details of the privacy glass option?

Is it a film or physically coloured glass?   Do we know how much light it obstructs or conversely lets through?

What I'm trying to understand is whether it will be illegal in any countries...... Also I see that Portugal doesn't allow tinted glass at all - does anyone have experience of that?  Is a foreign registered vehicle exempt for a short period?

All advice welcome

Many thanks

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
It is not a film - it's built into the glass.They will be aware of local laws. That is why you access the website via your country.

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Thanks Tazzieman - but my plan was to go touring Europe and Iceland with the Grenadier - hence the question and the need to better understand the details and overseas restrictions.  If you can travel in foreign countries and just have to be road legal in the country of registration then that's perfect - but I don't know.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
Had this problem in a number of countries @Gwynne. As you summise, Temporary Import Permit typically allows you to operate a vehicle not complianced for the country in which you’ve been issued the permit - the vehicle must simply be registered in the country of origin.

However, depending on the country, local police either do not know this or are inclined to ignore it and may ticket or fine accordingly.  

If one was prepared to prosecute a defence I’m sure it would be successful however the damage in terms of disruption, legal expenses etc is already done.

I don’t expect you’d have a problem in Portugal but in Russia, Transcaucasus, Central Asia and Iran this specific issue (tinted driver and passenger windows) landed us repeated warnings and two attempted fines, which one managed to wriggle out of.

We’ve come across other travellers encountering similar issues driving US-registered vehicles with tyres extending beyond the wheel arches, FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom