The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering noise

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone;) I was finally able to pick up my grenadier yesterday🥳 Unfortunately, I noticed at home that my power steering makes a strange noise. I think it's not a normal noise, or? The filling level in the container was at maximum with the engine warm but switched off. The German instructions do not say exactly in which condition the oil should be checked. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to post a video but I always see the file is too big (7mb)
Thank you;)

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
It is not. Mine doesn't have it and never had it. And have seen a lot of Grenadiers none of which had this.

Nonsense.

The described noise sounds very much like a faulty power steering pump, or, if it is driven by a V-belt, like a faulty or loose V-belt.

I'd not complain about the power steering and not discuss where it comes from because they will play the experts and call you an idiot. But I'd simply request that the noise be eliminated.

Because that's not what a normal car sounds like, that's for sure.
Thank you. That’s exactly what I will do. When I realised that the staff at my drive through coffee place wait for the squeal to stop to be able to hear me, that should have prompted me to call.
Truly appreciate this forum.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
My dealer has knocked me back previously stating it was normal. Unfortunately, my dealer has a poor reputation with myself and my mechanic having a very poor interaction yesterday with them. I will have to contact Ineos directly.

Also, I have just clocked over 15,000km's and it has not improved at all.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Shaheens

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I have the same issue with this annoying noise which never stops. (Attached video)

I’m having it while driving on the highway or while parking, it’s happening even if I don’t touch the steering wheel.

My car dealer and service center in UAE claim to be it’s normal.

Did anyone get this issue solved?
View attachment ef156f09-4852-4ee7-ad21-b07cafad6401.mov

Vote:
Upvote 1

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I have the same issue with this annoying noise which never stops. (Attached video)

I’m having it while driving on the highway or while parking, it’s happening even if I don’t touch the steering wheel.

View attachment 7845116
I never had that noise, not even in the beginning! Not normal. No dealer should say "this is normal".

Vote:
Upvote 0

Khalfan323

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7845116
I have the same. 2 different dealers said it was normal.

Vote:
Upvote 0

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has done it since day one. I have seen one other that does it as well although I don't know if theirs does it all the time or not

Vote:
Upvote 0

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Mine makes the same noise. Interestingly my brother picked up his Grenadier the same day I did, and his does not. I think for me that answers the question of whether this is ‘normal’. The service manager at our dealer opened a ticket with Ineos. I am more than curious to hear the answer and will relay anything I learn.

Vote:
Upvote 1

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine makes the same noise. Interestingly my brother picked up his Grenadier the same day I did, and his does not. I think for me that answers the question of whether this is ‘normal’. The service manager at our dealer opened a ticket with Ineos. I am more than curious to hear the answer and will relay anything I learn.
Well, either way, one of your trucks is "abnormal." ;)

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Some times I'll turn around in the drive so a less icy spot for my wife to jump in, and she'll comment on the PS whine. So I did a couple K-turns in he drive with all windows down and can hear some noise. It's certainly not loud enough to hear unless you are in front to have all widows down and specifically listening. I raided this question with the dealer last week (CarPlay adventure) and they did say it is "normal". It's on my watch list...as in a 90's LR it would not be good...

Vote:
Upvote 0

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
… I should add that his did make a little of that noise on delivery but after 2,500 miles he says it’s gone. Or perhaps it’s subtle enough not to notice.
Mine is substantially louder and at about 1,500 miles has not changed and is one of the first things people comment on.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This sound does come and go. I noticed if the steering is straight then no noise. If it’s turned, then squeals like a pig.

Vote:
Upvote 0

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks - that is encouraging - I've run 3,000 km so far, with no decrease yet in sound level.
I’m close to your mileage, about 1,500 miles. No change yet, but hopeful. It’s a minor gripe on an outstanding vehicle.

Vote:
Upvote 0

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
I was watching a video on YouTube and incidentally the Grenadier power steering was whining a bit and I thought about this thread and was wondering if there was any updates lately from Ineos on the folks that were having this issue. Just curious.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom