The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering noise

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone;) I was finally able to pick up my grenadier yesterday🥳 Unfortunately, I noticed at home that my power steering makes a strange noise. I think it's not a normal noise, or? The filling level in the container was at maximum with the engine warm but switched off. The German instructions do not say exactly in which condition the oil should be checked. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to post a video but I always see the file is too big (7mb)
Thank you;)

Bobharv

Production/Transit
Local time
9:08 PM
Reaction score
Just picked ours up and it is making the same noise.
Can anyone confirm if it is normal?

Reactions: PBD
Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
Also picked mine up today, dealer says all of them do it and it's normal but who knows
If it’s a diesel. The engine when stationary makes a loud low pitch whistling noise and fan noise. It’s normal, the whistling noise seems to settle down a bit once it’s run in.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Brendang

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone;) I was finally able to pick up my grenadier yesterday🥳 Unfortunately, I noticed at home that my power steering makes a strange noise. I think it's not a normal noise, or? The filling level in the container was at maximum with the engine warm but switched off. The German instructions do not say exactly in which condition the oil should be checked. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to post a video but I always see the file is too big (7mb)
Thank you;)
Yes this is normal. Supposedly. The dealership said they have reported it to head office and likely outcome will be a recall on those power steering units. But mine isn’t too loud anymore. Have done 1300km now

Vote:
Upvote 0

HandyAndy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes this is normal. Supposedly. The dealership said they have reported it to head office and likely outcome will be a recall on those power steering units. But mine isn’t too loud anymore. Have done 1300km now
I'm almost at 1300km. Hope my whistling/squealing sound goes away too.
My original thought was that the power steering liquid wasnt filled up consistently across all vehicles. Which would (possibly) explain why some people are getting the noise and some aren't. I saw in a post on the Defender forums someone with a similar sound/issue. And there problem was that the liquid just needed topping up.

Havnt had time to explore further but I hope it goes away 🤣. So loud.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have any updates? Mines continuing to be quite loud at 2400km's.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
Mine makes this noise - if it's normal they've selected the wrong PAS pump as it is incredibly irritating and it;s the first thing i get asked about when showing off the car to mates.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Michaelandthebees

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all, I have had my Grenadier for 6 weeks now. Overall I am very excited, and no software issues post the 2 updates.

BUT my power steering noise is very loud, and high pitched (akin to a pig squealing!). It is remarked on by most people that see the car. Less apparent above 40kph with road noise.

My dealer has others in the yard - and yes they have a similar noise - but quieter. We have a ticket open with Ineos AU.
Right now - its so loud it is uncomfortable at low speeds. Will advise what happens next!

Vote:
Upvote 0

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I have had my Grenadier for 6 weeks now. Overall I am very excited, and no software issues post the 2 updates.

BUT my power steering noise is very loud, and high pitched (akin to a pig squealing!). It is remarked on by most people that see the car. Less apparent above 40kph with road noise.

My dealer has others in the yard - and yes they have a similar noise - but quieter. We have a ticket open with Ineos AU.
Right now - its so loud it is uncomfortable at low speeds. Will advise what happens next!
Also very interested to see how your ticket progresses.

I took this to my dealer and they just stated it was normal. I have had a couple people mention their car might not make the sound, once I see theirs and get evidence of their cars not making the sound I will go back to the dealer and demand a fix. I don't think the prototypes did this, it's unacceptable really, sounds like a defective car.

Vote:
Upvote 0

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Also very interested to see how your ticket progresses.

I took this to my dealer and they just stated it was normal. I have had a couple people mention their car might not make the sound, once I see theirs and get evidence of their cars not making the sound I will go back to the dealer and demand a fix. I don't think the prototypes did this, it's unacceptable really, sounds like a defective car.
I’m very interested in this. As much as I’m told it’s normal it doesn’t sound right.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score

The high pitched noise reduces once it’s run in. Not as noticeable as when new.

Vote:
Upvote 0

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
I took this to my dealer and they just stated it was normal.
It is not. Mine doesn't have it and never had it. And have seen a lot of Grenadiers none of which had this.

Nonsense.

The described noise sounds very much like a faulty power steering pump, or, if it is driven by a V-belt, like a faulty or loose V-belt.

I'd not complain about the power steering and not discuss where it comes from because they will play the experts and call you an idiot. But I'd simply request that the noise be eliminated.

Because that's not what a normal car sounds like, that's for sure.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom