The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering noise

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone;) I was finally able to pick up my grenadier yesterday🥳 Unfortunately, I noticed at home that my power steering makes a strange noise. I think it's not a normal noise, or? The filling level in the container was at maximum with the engine warm but switched off. The German instructions do not say exactly in which condition the oil should be checked. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to post a video but I always see the file is too big (7mb)
Thank you;)

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does the Ineos PS not have both cold and hot level marks?
Another thing - PS does not like to be held at full lock .
Only min an max marks;( The noise is there even if i turn only few mm an not at full lock.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:23 PM
Reaction score
I have that noise also . It is a high pitch one . It only happens when you move the steering wheel. If you are stationary with hands off the wheel no noise , once you move it even a bit the noise comes back and then goes away after a few seconds once the steering is let go .
I noticed this when picking up my grenadier and i asked the dealer , they advised that they had noticed it also but it was the same across all the vehicles they have .
Not sure what it means yet.
Wasn't the PS mentioned several months ago as potentially one of the issues holding up early release?....:unsure:

Apart from kinked or leaking hoses which you should be able to gauge from a proper visual inspection ...

From personal experience the high pitched squeal is usually due to either the drive belt rubbing on a misaligned pulley, or the noise is emanating from the pump itself.
If so, then I'd be checking that the PS has been properly bled to remove all air from the system.... It's not a difficult job and the dealer should be able to do it quite quickly...
The fact that the dealer says it's common to all the vehicles they have, indicates to me that there's been an install "snafu" on the assembly line... (so much for the batch and hold process!!)

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:23 PM
Reaction score
Someone needs to upload a video with sound...

Vote:
Upvote 0

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wasn't the PS mentioned several months ago as potentially one of the issues holding up early release?....:unsure:

Apart from kinked or leaking hoses which you should be able to gauge from a proper visual inspection ...

From personal experience the high pitched squeal is usually due to either the drive belt rubbing on a misaligned pulley, or the noise is emanating from the pump itself.
If so, then I'd be checking that the PS has been properly bled to remove all air from the system.... It's not a difficult job and the dealer should be able to do it quite quickly...
The fact that the dealer says it's common to all the vehicles they have, indicates to me that there's been an install "snafu" on the assembly line... (so much for the batch and hold process!!)
The PAS is electric driven. The pump is behind the LH headlamp.
A high pitch whine may just be the motor itself. One test may be to see if the pitch changes with load - ie, get someone to waggle the steering wheel & listen. Decrease in pitch should be heard.
Not sure if the pump is gear or vane type. If gear, the noise is most likely the motor. If vane, could be either. i would just carry on checking if the noise increases or goes away. If no short term fairy lights on the dash panel, keep going & it'll either be a warranty claim or not!

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So my observations today . Under load at low speed the noise is still there no change . At high speed i cannot hear the sound ( drown by the engine noise )
What i have notised though is that on start / stop at traffic lights the noise is still there for 3-4 seconds before cutting out . So in my mind that rules out anything beeing run by the engine.
If the SP is run electronically then the above makes sence in my mind .

Vote:
Upvote 0

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So my observations today . Under load at low speed the noise is still there no change . At high speed i cannot hear the sound ( drown by the engine noise )
What i have notised though is that on start / stop at traffic lights the noise is still there for 3-4 seconds before cutting out . So in my mind that rules out anything beeing run by the engine.
If the SP is run electronically then the above makes sence in my mind .
And when you turn full lock the noise is gone?

Vote:
Upvote 0

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Anybody hearing this on the diesel?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    3.5 MB
Vote:
Upvote 0

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anybody hearing this on the diesel?
I get this noise when the rad fans kick in. It’s loud but it’s moving a hell of a lot of air.. kicks in for no reason I can see and turns off after about 10 minutes of operation..

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Well I think the weird thing is the issue comes and goes, which might suggest it IS NOT mechanical but some sort of computer controlled or electrical component.

Vote:
Upvote 0

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well I think the weird thing is the issue comes and goes, which might suggest it IS NOT mechanical but some sort of computer controlled or electrical component.
Yeah my first guess would be a sensor… but the hiss/whine suggests it could be a pump?

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah my first guess would be a sensor… but the hiss/whine suggests it could be a pump?
im not a mechanic, though have done some wrenching, I cant see it working again after shutting down and re-starting if its a faulty pump.
Maybe.
Ive had pumps fail and I have had a pump that wasnt big enough.
When they didnt work, they didnt work.
I listened to that vid and maybe its my speakers but I didnt hear anything wrong.
Old school power steering pumps made a little hydraulic noise.
Idk....I would take it to a shop and see what they think.

Vote:
Upvote 0

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
im not a mechanic, though have done some wrenching, I cant see it working again after shutting down and re-starting if its a faulty pump.
Maybe.
Ive had pumps fail and I have had a pump that wasnt big enough.
When they didnt work, they didnt work.
I listened to that vid and maybe its my speakers but I didnt hear anything wrong.
Old school power steering pumps made a little hydraulic noise.
Idk....I would take it to a shop and see what they think.
That’s reassuring… I’m far from a mechanic! Just never heard anything like this before lol

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
I listened to the vid again and from here I cant tell if its cooling fans or anything else.
I would def get it looked at by SOMEONE, ANYONE as this is a serious safety issue.
Please.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom